Dell Cards in Non Dell machines

Sierra Wireless AirPrime Modem Card Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
plnewton
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dell Cards in Non Dell machines

Post by plnewton »

Hi There

I have a couple of Dell Cards DW5816e that I tried to install in a panasonic toughpads, unfortunately the cards were advertised as with both the EM7430 and DW5816e part numbers and I didnt read the ad properly so I am stuck with them now

While I know these are dell specific cards is there any way to get these running on another machine?

I have installed one of the cards and loaded the drivers for it but it keeps saying failed to start code 10

Cheers
Didneywhorl

Re: Dell Cards in Non Dell machines

Post by Didneywhorl »

Depends on if your device uses the modem in pci or usb mode. Also some of the dell cards work fine if you convert them with firmware. there are guides all over on flashign the firmware but it may get stuck in low power mode, which can be an ass pain to recvoer, but usually isnt a brick process. usually.
plnewton

Post by plnewton »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:43 pm Depends on if your device uses the modem in pci or usb mode. Also some of the dell cards work fine if you convert them with firmware. there are guides all over on flashign the firmware but it may get stuck in low power mode, which can be an ass pain to recvoer, but usually isnt a brick process. usually.
Thanks for your reply
the cards are installed directly via the m2 slot so would be PCI I assume
Are the guides to convert them here on the site? I will take a look
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

plnewton wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:24 pm Thanks for your reply
the cards are installed directly via the m2 slot so would be PCI I assume
Are the guides to convert them here on the site? I will take a look
I honestly haven't worked with PCI mode on these so I'm not the source for that, but the hardware design manuals for the modems and their AT command manuals should be of help. https://source.sierrawireless.com/devic ... es/em7565/
plnewton

Post by plnewton »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:41 pm I honestly haven't worked with PCI mode on these so I'm not the source for that, but the hardware design manuals for the modems and their AT command manuals should be of help. https://source.sierrawireless.com/devic ... es/em7565/
Thanks for that
that link is for a EM7565 card though, these dell cards are an EM7430, are you suggesting it is possible to convert a EM7430 over to a EM7565?

Is it possible to do any card like that, say an EM7455 to an EM7430?

the reason I bought these cards in the first place is because these panasonic machines have EM7455 cards in them that do not have Band 28 which is what is required here In Australia to run properly so if I can convert the EM7455 cards then I dont need to mess around with the Dell ones at all
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

https://source.sierrawireless.com/devic ... es/em7430/ The 7430 was there on that page ;)

You can't convert them, unfortunately.

Are you saying your modem is required to NOT have B28, or is required TO have B28? If required not to. is that a govt frequency band there or something?

The Quectel EC25AF also does not have B28 if you want something fairly low cost.
plnewton

Post by plnewton »

Thanks for your reply
Yes, I need them to have band 28.

Band 28 is the widest coverage in rural areas here in Australia
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

EP06A, EM12G, and all the higher Quectel modems have B28. You may need to look into UK specific modems from Quectel or Telit. SIMCOM and FIBOCOM are also options, but I am not familiar with them, really.

Return to “Sierra Wireless Modems”