RPi4 + Quectel RM502Q - Help with Network Interfaces and/or Firewall

yoppsquad
Has thanked: 0

RPi4 + Quectel RM502Q - Help with Network Interfaces and/or Firewall

Post by yoppsquad »

So, I recently built my own router+modem combo with a RPi4 and a Quectel RM502Q within a PCIe to USB enclosure. I'm running GoldenOrb and everything is pretty much default. The setup appears to be working correctly and I can reach speedtest.net within the GoldenOrb interface and see that I have an external IP to my ISP, but no devices on my network can get to the internet. I suspect something is up with the default network interface setup or the firewall config, but I can't seem to get the configuration correct. I've included a screenshot of the current interfaces configuration, which I'm guessing is the default for this GoldenOrb RPi4 image.

https://ibb.co/NS0f57D

The LAN interface is my local network, and I guess WAN1 is the modem. If I disable that device, I lose internet at the RPi. From the rudimentary knowledge I have on networking, I feel the WAN IP address I'm getting from my ISP should be in there somewhere, but any attempts to create a new interface and link it have failed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated; I'm sure this is a simple fix but I'm far out of practice on the network configuration side of things. Thanks!
yoppsquad

Re: RPi4 + Quectel RM502Q - Help with Network Interfaces and/or Firewall

Post by yoppsquad »

Well, after much futzing with it, I abandoned GoldenOrb and was able to get it all working with OpenWRT instead. As much as I'll miss some of the fancier features GoldenOrb provided, I'm happy to report things are working.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I've heard that modemmanager is pretty dang good in vanilla openWRT. I need to spend more time with it and its mmcli tools.
yoppsquad

Post by yoppsquad »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:49 pm I've heard that modemmanager is pretty dang good in vanilla openWRT. I need to spend more time with it and its mmcli tools.
You got it, that's exactly what I used. Added the modemmanager package and added a new interface which let me attach the Quectel directly as the device and boom, all good.

Return to “Raspberry Pi”