SimpleMobile throttling

Topics addressing TTL settings for Throttling, Tethering and Hotspot Usage
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
subarctic_moose
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SimpleMobile throttling

Post by subarctic_moose »

I've been using a SimpleMobile sim for close to a year with no throttling issues while averaging around 500gb a month. Within the past few months, I've experiences some sort of throttling / de-prioritization just shy of the 200gb mark that makes the service unusable. For example, the speedtest app will eventually load after a long lag and run a normal test, but we pages will time out.

When looking at the usage stats, it doesn't show any hotspot data used, just cellular as expected so I don't believe leakage from the WGT is an issue. Hopping on the online chat with a SM rep and asking them to reset the billing cycle early works every time, but it has doubled my ISP spending (not the end of the world considering). Has anyone else run into this recently?
Labilis

Re: SimpleMobile throttling

Post by Labilis »

I had this happen a few weeks ago. After contacting simple mobile. They came back to let me know they updated the terms of service that the 'unlimited' plan throttles at 250gb now. Not sure how true it is since some of these reps will throw anything at you to close the call. So take it all with a grain of salt.
VidurrE99
Been thanked: 0

Post by VidurrE99 »

For the past 2 days I've been recieving 2g data speeds despite having $60 Truly Unlimited plan. After speaking to my 5th!!! Representative my data speed was restored to 4g... So of course when I asked what she did that was different from my previous 4 lil' helpers, the problem was simply an update had to manualy be sent to my phone due to tower maintenence causing a disruption the previous few days. I was starting to worry...
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

I'd continue to worry. I've been using SM for quite awhile now and was throttled to unusable speeds at the same download amount (just shy of 200GB). They finally activated b41 on my tower last month and I was hitting upwards of 600mbps on my downloads. Playing around running speed tests and streaming movies etc., I burnt right through my data and it all came crashing down right at the 200GB mark :(. Plan billing cycle restarted today and I'm back to full speed which tells me they have implemented that cap or at least at my location unfortunately. Seems all of the 'unlimited' plans from the various providers are getting some type of limit caps these days.
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

Its because with 5g and even the speeds using CA people are using data at a much faster rate than ever before, a single line can congest a tower now like it would have taken 20 lines to do in the recent past the good news is unless it is a hard cap you can get around it with some device manipulation.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

From what I've seen it's a hard cap that even does this on a regular cell phone. I think they caught on to the game quick and capped all lines. Not 100% sure though.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Rich Hathaway wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:08 am ..the good news is unless it is a hard cap you can get around it with some device manipulation.
?

Any hints as to what this entails? Doubt if I get that high again on this line but if so would like to test any possible workarounds if any exist.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:16 pm From what I've seen it's a hard cap that even does this on a regular cell phone. I think they caught on to the game quick and capped all lines. Not 100% sure though.
I recently added a second line to the account so now I'm on a single plan with 2 lines. It cost $25 per additional line so total is the initial 50 plus 25 for the 2nd resulting in $75 more or less. For what its worth, the 2nd line was not throttled when the initial line hit its cap. At least the cap seems to apply to the individual lines and not across all lines on the plan. Still annoying/aggravating with all these advertised "unlimited" lines being limited. Does anybody know for sure if regular T-Mo plans have recent caps too? I'm sure their home internet plans do not have caps but would like to know if any other type of line does.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

As far as "on device" traffic, there are no caps on Tmobile lines that I have seen so far.

Return to “TTL Settings - Throttling, Tethering and Hotspot Usage”