All-in-one

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
KhanZii
Has thanked: 0

All-in-one

Post by KhanZii »

Hi, I messaged back in forth with someone on Reddit who makes a plug and play sim router/modem. He says I can just throw a prepaid sim in it and be good to go. He matches the device with IMEI on the phone I used for the sim order. Does this seem like a legit option? Sorry if this post makes no sense, I’m definitely new to trying to use cellular data for WiFi. Can I post a link to the device?
Didneywhorl

Re: All-in-one

Post by Didneywhorl »

Sure. Link away.

Note: The Wireless Haven / The Wireless Haven sells the parts in bundles and can put it together for you if you want.

Thewirelesshaven.com
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

Link?
KhanZii

Post by KhanZii »

Here’s the link. What do y’all think? Do I need to purchase anything extra with it? I also have a weboost Omni antenna and booster. Would I be able to plug that directly into the modem instead of the booster? Thanks for any help! [mod edit - ebay link to WG1608 with Dell modem]
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

That hardware isn't bad. WG1608 with a Dell cat 16 or cat 12 modem. The Dell modem they are offering is low cost but sometimes odd to work with, but seems to do well for those who have figured out how to properly use and modify them.

Also the WG1608's latest versions have had issues with some kind if hardware "Watchdog" make sure that they aren't selling that version. I'm not 100% sure how to identify it without seeing the PCB itself. There is a jumper resistor near the power input jack on the pcb. If it is not there, you don't want it.

Remember, you'll be asking ebay sellers for help any time you have signal issues or if you need to make settings changes. Usually they don't offer support, though some good ones do.

If it's all setup and ready to go, then if might be pretty good. What happens if you want to change cellular plans, or yours gets shut off? Do they change it up for you?

Does the seller offer long term free technical support?
KhanZii

Post by KhanZii »

Yea that was my concern. They offer 60 days support with it. And I don’t know enough about the hardware. Is there a package from The Wireless Haven that will do the same thing with similar cost? Is there something better that would enable me to plug the weboost antenna directly into it instead of using the inside booster? My antenna bands appear to be 4 and 66.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

You can build a similar setup on the haven, yep. Check here for the bundles: https://thewirelesshaven.com/product-ca ... r-bundles/

The cost will be close.

You can build them pretty easy really. Just takes some confidence and asking all of us here when you run into issues. We all help as best we can.

Hand made bundle: :)
WG1608D-M from the haven: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/route ... 8ghz-wifi/

Cat 16 modem: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modem ... m-2-modem/

The weboost antenna is usable if it is a 50 Ohm antenna and cabling. I wouldn't recommend using a single antenna, as these modems use 2 or even 4 antennas, depending on the modem category. Cat 16 and up use 4 antennas, below use 2 antennas.

Using a single antenna will cripple the modems capabilities. I recommend a set of dedicated antennae for the modem.
KhanZii

Post by KhanZii »

Ok thanks once again for the help! What would be the difference in choosing the cat12 vs the cat16?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Cat 12 uses a 2x2 MIMO antenna configuration, and a little less overall capability for top end speed and band support than a cat 16.

Cat 16 uses a 4x4 MIMO antenna configuration. More bands, more top end speed capability.
56387f

Post by 56387f »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:40 pm You can build a similar setup on the haven, yep. Check here for the bundles: https://thewirelesshaven.com/product-ca ... r-bundles/

The cost will be close.

You can build them pretty easy really. Just takes some confidence and asking all of us here when you run into issues. We all help as best we can.
And while you mentioned WG1608 - I just discovered that I lost the SIM card tray for my WG1608. Do you happen to know know what kind of replacement I can use or where I can buy the SIM card tray?

Thanks!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

56387f wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:15 pm And while you mentioned WG1608 - I just discovered that I lost the SIM card tray for my WG1608. Do you happen to know know what kind of replacement I can use or where I can buy the SIM card tray?

Thanks!
No clue honestly. I may have some laying around though. email thewirelesshaven and I'll get one sent to you.
56387f

Post by 56387f »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:58 pm No clue honestly. I may have some laying around though. email thewirelesshaven and I'll get one sent to you.
Thanks, I will try to find one here first and if nothing really works will ask you for help later.
56387f

Post by 56387f »

Hello guys,

just some info for people who might need the SIM card try for WG1608 - looks like this is Molex 91236-0001

Return to “General and Unclassified”