CGNAT for web server access workaround

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
brcisna
Been thanked: 0

CGNAT for web server access workaround

Post by brcisna »

Hello All,

New to 4G LTE internet access , FYI.

This is just a hopefully help post for those trying to run a web server behind any CGNAT provider which is going to be any 4G LTE internet connection.
Have really spent a lot of time trying to get my web server access behind CGNAT.
In the end the only 'transparent solution' is ngrok. ngrok is a single binary your download and run a simple one line commend and if you have a registered domain name it will show up as such. Is free.
tried getting this to work through zerotier,,but simply couldnt get things forwarded ,,etc,

ngrok is the go to for this .
If someone has an even more transparent setup for web server access, please post your setup.
tetranz

Re: CGNAT for web server access workaround

Post by tetranz »

ngrok is great tool although I think it's intended more as a developer tool than a production thing. I've used it when developing code that needs to receive webhooks etc. It's worked perfect for that. It's $60 per year if you want to attach a domain. The free version will give you a different URL every time it starts.

Another way is to use a VPN such as WireGuard to a server such as a $5 per month server at the likes of DigitalOcean, Linode etc and forward a port through the VPN and open on the router through to the LAN.

I don't know your reason for doing this but, considering how cheap hosting is these days, I'd be surprised if it's really worth the trouble to host a web server over cellular.
brcisna
Been thanked: 0

Post by brcisna »

hi tetranz

Thanks for the other options for cgnat workarounds.
It is just a hobby thing in regards to domain hosting thing,,have had a domain name for 20 years now,,& have had a local wireless ISP for about 15 years now...so there wasnt any cgnat stuff involved.
Have been used to a whopping 1.5 mbps down and up,so anything would be an improvement. Actually everyone thinks 1.5 mbps isn't enough to do anything but has always run our android tv,,linux server,,,three thin client machines & used to run Vonage voip,,,no problem. Only problem was being an independent it would be down several times per month.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

brcisna wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:06 pm ngrok is the go to for this .
If someone has an even more transparent setup for web server access, please post your setup.
please look into Cloudflare Tunnel

Also, for devs here:

https://github.com/boringproxy/boringproxy

Return to “Internet Service Providers”