DL speed tanked

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
brcisna
Been thanked: 0

DL speed tanked

Post by brcisna »

Hello ALl,

New to cellular internet connectivity with VSBLINTERNET . em7455 SW modem
Someone school me here.

A very stable setup after much wrangling with settings, iptables,etc for the last three weeks.
Have been getting consistently 30-50 mBps down and about 1.5 mBps up.
The router machine is Debian Bullseye and left on overnight and today DL speed is down to 5mBps but upload speed is about 5 mBps. From doing some reading the last couple weeks,depending on the link agregation, the upload/download speeds may be like this. It is almost as a tethered phone connecion now in regards to speeds.

Only thing i go off of what shows in Modem Manager as the 'operator code' which i had always thought is the connected tower? This never changes.
5mBps isn't bad for us,,after having had 1.5 mBps for the last ten years via local wireless ISP.
What would i look for with AT commands for connected towers,etc?
modemmanager-vsblinternet.png
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr-BroadBand

Re: DL speed tanked

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Captain obvious here :geek:

It’s either your signal or your SIM or both.

From your screenshot it looks like your signal is a little week.

The easiest way to improve your signal for a test is bring your setup to the tower.

Best to use the vehicle 🚗 12VDC to power your stuff.

I’ve seen power inverters cause noise and lower your Signal quality.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

19% signal can wreak havok on any data connection attempt.
packlet
Has thanked: 0

Post by packlet »

what sort of antenna(s) connected to your modem, and did they get moved or re-oriented (maybe by strong wind, etc...) how far from tower are you? did someone park a truck in your line of sight in that direction? etc...

If nothing changed at your end, could be something changed at the tower to cause your modem to pick a different band than the one/s getting your higher speeds...

AT command "at!gstatus?" will show a good amount of info on the current connection on the SW modems.
(preferably run under some load to see if CA is kicking in and on which bands...)

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”