Anyone have experience with US Cellular or King Street Wireless?

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
Chain-A
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anyone have experience with US Cellular or King Street Wireless?

Post by Chain-A »

Let me start with my current situation: I live in rural North Carolina. When I moved here, I lucked out by having Centurylink DSL with ~30 mbps down available to me. Cell service sucks where I live, and at the time, TMobile was the easiest carrier offering VOWIFI to get with, so I hopped on board with them to have phone service while at home, and my coverage while at work was fine. My significant other and I have decided to buy a new home now. (Yay, our first home!) We love the location, but the biggest drawback is that there is ZERO internet providers to the house, the place doesn't even have a phone line! We do, however, get pretty decent cell service outside, and inside was not bad either (she was able to facetime with a friend the entire time during our initial walkthrough.)

HOWEVER, the cell service was roaming on to US Cellular. I know from past experience, too much data usage off TMobiles network will end up with warning texts and throttling. The area that I'm in is one of those spots that US Cellular has their own towers and good coverage, and nobody else is allowed to run.

I am of the cord cutting generation, so netflix, youtube, prime video all up on the tv are a big thing for us. I also appreciate gaming from time to time, and I prefer to do my internet browsing from the laptop, so wifi in the home is kinda a big deal for me. Also, changing carriers from TMO to USC just seems like some huge hassle. Some researching on reddit gave some promises, and have also led me here. And I love what I see here, kudos to you guys, I've been reading up on a bunch.

So, Cellmapper shows poor results for ATT and Verizion in the area, despite what their coverage maps say. I already know that TMO and Sprint have no towers anywhere close because USC has the spectrum in the area. I suppose I could grab a couple of burner prepaids and test out the coverage for myself, but I got my own experience with USC already, they will win. So, in my head, I'm playing out a few options:

1: I grab a USC Prepaid android and tether up to a gl.inet mango to test the usability as home wifi. If all goes decent, get a postpaid option, invest in a 4g modem that can connect up to some outside mounted antennas and make some modifications that can't be discussed here... You know what I'm talking about.
2: King Street Wireless. A "Wireless ISP" company. I'm waiting to hear back from them. They are the backbone of the USC network. Any information that can be provided is welcome here, because I can't really find anything about them except $70 a month for unlimited at 12 mbps down, which I can deal with.
3: Convert over the cell plan to USC, and top out all the priority data and hotspot data allotted to the plan over 3 devices (this probably nets the most data, but involves all new devices almost guaranteed.)
4: Viasat, Hughesnet, and pray for starlink as soon as possible (star link is more than likely an option, but waiting to see what after beta shows.)

So, am I on the right path? And are there any other options I should be looking at?

Return to “Internet Service Providers”