New WG3526 Firmware

Topics related to OpenWRT, LEDE, GoldenOrb, Linux and other firmware
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
hardlivinlow
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New WG3526 Firmware

Post by hardlivinlow »

I see there is a new version of firmware for the WG3526. My issue is it says NEXTP1GO instead of WG3526 in the file name. Is this the correct firmware or was it dropped in the folder by mistake?

cap1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LTE_boi
Been thanked: 0

Re: New WG3526 Firmware

Post by LTE_boi »

Just flashed it to my WG3526, no problems.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The Wireless Haven is renaming their WG3526-P to the NEXP1GO to match their router branding. Exact same router board, except it's the poe version that used to be exclusive to thewirelesshaven.com

The new firmware is a great upgrade. openWRT 12 based. Wiregard included, etc etc
itgoes211

Post by itgoes211 »

Any idea if or when they will release the full version to support load balancing?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

itgoes211 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:24 pm Any idea if or when they will release the full version to support load balancing?
I can see if that can be done for those whom seek it.

MWAN3 was removed due to occasional odd and hard to troubleshoot conflicts with other packages, and though many use load balancing versus failover (as is setup on it now) not nearly as many use it as don't.
itgoes211

Post by itgoes211 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:01 pm I can see if that can be done for those whom seek it.

MWAN3 was removed due to occasional odd and hard to troubleshoot conflicts with other packages, and though many use load balancing versus failover (as is setup on it now) not nearly as many use it as don't.
MWAN seemed to be finicky at best. So does the new firmware not support multiple modems at once? I tried an internal and external modem at the same time and is puked all over itself.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

@Didneywhorl not sure if you saw my other post about this new version as no one has replied but was curious if there was a way to import that status page menu or some way to directly display SINR on the old 5-18-2020 version. The menu visuals of the new version looked close enough that I am hoping you could walk me through like updating the xml or whtever page information there is so my 5-18 version will display stats like the newest version does or even better help me to implement that more graphical version we have discussed previously.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Adm1jtg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:32 pm @Didneywhorl not sure if you saw my other post about this new version as no one has replied but was curious if there was a way to import that status page menu or some way to directly display SINR on the old 5-18-2020 version. The menu visuals of the new version looked close enough that I am hoping you could walk me through like updating the xml or whtever page information there is so my 5-18 version will display stats like the newest version does or even better help me to implement that more graphical version we have discussed previously.
Gah, sorry. Too many projects have by brain fried. I'll see what I can find for you. No promises for a speedy return though. ;)
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

itgoes211 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:38 pm MWAN seemed to be finicky at best. So does the new firmware not support multiple modems at once? I tried an internal and external modem at the same time and is puked all over itself.
Not tested at this time. I'll have to see what I can find.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:43 am Gah, sorry. Too many projects have by brain fried. I'll see what I can find for you. No promises for a speedy return though. ;)
was thinking how hard would it be to create a module that can be installed under system software that simply redoes the status page to the newer graphical interface we discussed, maybe even an optional module for the above users mwan request as well or am I just oversimplyfing a much more complicated issue/process?
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

@Didneywhorl
Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:43 am
Adm1jtg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:32 pm @Didneywhorl not sure if you saw my other post about this new version as no one has replied but was curious if there was a way to import that status page menu or some way to directly display SINR on the old 5-18-2020 version. The menu visuals of the new version looked close enough that I am hoping you could walk me through like updating the xml or whtever page information there is so my 5-18 version will display stats like the newest version does or even better help me to implement that more graphical version we have discussed previously.
Gah, sorry. Too many projects have by brain fried. I'll see what I can find for you. No promises for a speedy return though. ;)
LOL still waiting.....

Can you tell me what this latest 3-21-22 realease for the wg3526 has changed? Or maybe a changelog? what version openwrt is the base amd all? And of course did it FINALLY get the new cool modem status page?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Soooo sorry! :|

It (3/23 version) does have the new modem status splash page.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XP7ewC ... sp=sharing

It is based on openWRT 21 but not sure the sub version though I do know it uses Linux version 5.4.158.

The firmware guys aren't really making changelogs, but I'll ask what has been updated. Basic functionality should be the same with updated UI elements.

Oh yeah, there's also a build in open source speed test and there is UI built in serial terminal for simple SSH type command sending.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

I loaded it and loved the new interface on the login page. Also really loved the quick ability to change a dhcp address to static as well as the included SINR stat on the modem stats page.

Unfortunately just like the 9/11 version when loaded, everything on the internet is sluggish with many "dropouts". I checked all the modem numbers and the all the signal stats are the same as on the 5-16-20 version I have been running for years, but the performance is severly decreased. Roku's continously clock and show speed tests of less then 1. Tested mostly on 2.4ghz and to simplify things I was running the wireless directly off the router.

All I can think of is EITHER there is some wierd driver issue with openwrt 22 (unlikely) or somehow the fact I am a wg3526 NOT a 3526P makes some difference in newer openwrt version, again unlikely but its all I got.

Needless to say the way I determined the issue is with the new firmware is that I rolled back to the 5-16 version and everything was back to normal, immediately.

And just to answer the questions I know are coming....
I loaded the new firmware from the chinese bootloader screen
I did NOT import any settimgs
I used the onboard wifi and ethernet to test things

How hard would it be to integrate the new changes mentioned above into my old version? Even just adding the ability to display sinr on the modem stats page would be a HUGE improvement
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

@JimHelms may be able to help with loading the splash page on older versions.

It may very well be script bloat in the latest versions.

Have you tried base openWRT with modemmanager? I've heard it's pretty snappy and works well. I've not tried it out much at all myself.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

I don't think its as simple as just copying over the stats page and scripts etc. And you probably won't find anyone willing to spend much time figuring out how to do it to make an old firmware work like newer firmware. I think you would have better luck having them track down the issue you are having. Better yet, I think the best thing to do is just build your own. They have simplified the process and have posted step by step instructions on how to set up a pc or vm for building your own. Then you can add/remove any software/drivers you want and would also be easier to track down driver issues too. Its really nice to have the ability to do a quick 'git pull' and build and have the latest goodies for any hardware you want. Then no more waiting on firmware either.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

There are a few issues with "cooking my own"

First I have ATTEMPTED to build android in the past and it is FAR from easy

Second I have already outlined that current versions dont seem to work for me, so cooking my own version of a 22.x version would not help the issue, while cooking an 18.6 version wouldnt gain me anything as I would have no earthly idea how to try and add in features and my build being so old would almost definitely cause dependency issues I would have no idea how to deal with

Lastly I am a windows user with a mac laptop but no linux, thus no build system even if I wanted to undertake all this

BTW I did try with modules to get wireguard working on my version but the needed kernel update while available in modules breaks the LUCI interface... meaning things like the entire modem area just dissappear after loading the updated kernel and you cant unload the modeule either. Even if that was not the case the main wireguard module still refuses to load.

Since both the september version and march versions I believe are both based on the same openwrt 22.x I have to assume that my router firmware upgrade path is at a dead end.

Wireguard and the interface upgrades would be really nice to have but not at the huge degredation of performance the new builds seem to impose on my unit.

I guess its also possible that since my unit is a zbt-3526 direct from the chinese manf perhaps again there is some difference vs the USA/ltefix version that is causing the issues even though the 5-16-20 version I am running is a wifix version as well
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Adm1jtg wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:46 pm There are a few issues with "cooking my own"

First I have ATTEMPTED to build android in the past and it is FAR from easy

Second I have already outlined that current versions dont seem to work for me, so cooking my own version of a 22.x version would not help the issue, while cooking an 18.6 version wouldnt gain me anything as I would have no earthly idea how to try and add in features and my build being so old would almost definitely cause dependency issues I would have no idea how to deal with

Lastly I am a windows user with a mac laptop but no linux, thus no build system even if I wanted to undertake all this
At least since you have tried before with android you have an idea, however, this is quite easy as they have step by step instructions on how to do it and have simplified all settings so that you literally type "./build WG3526" and you get an updated default image. Granted I installed mint for a dual boot win11 / mint laptop but I'm assuming their docker vm would be similar. Only change from default to get the stats page is to select the check box when building. There is a learning process but its doable with their walkthrough.

I have done this for my wg3526. I believe it is an original one from the site (got it few months ago from a user here on this site). I've not experienced any problems like you are suggesting with the latest firmware? Is there anything I can look at from my end to test? I don't use the wifi on that setup so maybe that is why I'm not seeing issues? Let me know what I can try when I get some spare time to see if I can help track it down if interested...
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

Since your all setup with a build enviroment and such would you be able to sync sources to 18.06 or 18.07 whatever the latest 18.x is and make an updated build for me to test?

I will likely contunue to test the newest 22.x as well, the problem is I am SOO in the boonies that this router is the sole source of my internet and phone coverage so cant be down for long periods of time testing.
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

On the new firmware I love the new screen but I notices it does not give you the option to change bands or input any AT commands
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

Ok FINALLY got it all working.... well mostly.....
The main issue was my own fault... back when I loaded the old build I believe custom ttl was on and set to 65 by default. In this new build it was off by default. For some odd reason enabling it under firewall settings like I am used to didnt work but enabling it in the connection profile (wasnt a connection profile option in my old build) did work.

Only wierdness is all my roku's, both wired and wireless, say there is slow/low internet speed, when you do a connection test, but otherwise so far are working fine. Speedtest on the same network shows speeds to be exactly what I would expect for my setup.

I wonder if the roku needs some firewall port opened on this new openwrt version.

UPDATE: Back on 5-26 build again. Newest build became extremely slow and unstable for me after about 12 hours. Wierd roku issue where you run a connection test and it fails every time (ethernet, 2.4ghz and 5ghz) never resolved itself even after opening multiple ports in firewall. Modem stats were always as expected but performance was extremely hit or miss. bootloder flashed a second time, same issues. Simply not stable or reliable.

It is possible that the issue isnt openwrt as much as verizon can someone monitor and throttle me on newer builds where as somehow on my older version they never do. I really dont know and since this is my sole source for internet likely wont mess with it to much more unless someone can tell me whats going on.

I did not check with a vpn as the overhead of an always on vpn would degrade my service to much to be proactical.

Posting this mostly for other 3526 users as if you just cant seem to get stable service I would try the 5-16 build. Its still posted.
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

I installed WiFiX-NEXP1GO-full-GO2022-03-23-upgrade.bin yesterday.

It works nicely. I noticed two things that seem to be fixed.

Setting the protocol to IPv4 in the connection profile now works. That didn't seem to work before (https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=22635#p22635)

I use mine with WireGuard and I no longer need to set a custom DNS server address in the LAN config. I guess I can't be sure that something else hasn't changed but I definitely needed to do that on every setup before and now I don't which is good.

I flashed my router three times. The second time was because I messed up something in the config and wanted to start again. I was surprised that the second time it retained my password etc from the first despite me telling it to not retain config. I did it a third time to time confirm that behavior and it still retained the login and Wi-Fi passwords (which is all I set). That seems like a bug.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

The best way to make sure EVERYTHING is cleared is to do a bootloader flash. I call it the chinese screen flash though apparently wifix models dont have chinese menus.

Basically you pull the power cord, hold the reset button, plug power back in while still holding the reset button. Wait 5 seconds and release.
Connect to 192.168.1.1
Flash new firmware from there and everything is competely wiped from previous versions.
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

Adm1jtg wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:49 am The best way to make sure EVERYTHING is cleared is to do a bootloader flash. I call it the chinese screen flash though apparently wifix models dont have chinese menus.
My WiFix device has the Chinese bootloader. I've used it once previously. Not this time but once when a flash went wrong.

I don't recall the exact details now but it wasn't a simple step to getting it working again. When I tried to upload the WiFix firmware to the bootloader it was "incompatible" or too big or something. I think I managed to get generic OpenWRT to install, then Rooter and finally to WiFix to get it back.

Probably not a firmware issue but I get this frustrating thing quite often when working in the admin.

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 8.19.44 AM.png

It returns a totally blank page except for that 0. If I view source it is literally 0 with no HTML around it. Refreshing always "fixes" it. Sometimes a single refresh does it but sometimes I need to hit refresh multiple times. I posted about this once before and nobody else reported seeing it so, I don't know, it seems like a hardware problem which I should have complained about when it was still under warranty.

The 5 GHz Wi-Fi seems a bit flaky at best. Sometimes it doesn't come up after a reboot. Sometimes it comes up but somehow doesn't talk to DHCP so I don't get an IP address. All that said, the router works well in normal operation, especially via a cable so I guess it's hard to complain too much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

Ok here are my thoughts on all the above....

First its a known issue that the built in wifi of the wg3526 if lets say non optimal. Almost everyone in here myself included uses a seperate device for wifi. Personally I bought a used archer c8 for about $35. I assigned it a static ip address in the same range as the wg3526.

Again in my specific instance that means my wg3526 is at 192168.10.1 and my archer is at 192.168.10.10
I have disabled dhcp on the archer and give out all addresses on the wg3526. Doesnt really matter which device gives out your dhcp addresses its just a good practivce to only have a single device give out all the ip addresses.

Your router page issue COULD be tat its timing out due to the poor wifi.

Personally I would recommend a FULL bootoader reaload and after all my recent trials and failures I am only using the 5-16-20 build of wifix firmware.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... u0ACG0WDxA

Its old as dirt, ugly as sin and doesnt display SINR on the modem specs page. I also have not been able to get wireguard working on it. That said I been running this build for like a year and a half and had no real issues at all. Every build since has caused me issues I was not able to overcome. I just keep ending up back on the 5-16 build.

If you need help with the bootloader load mode just post back I am sure someone here can link directions, if not I can walk you through it.
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

Thanks. It's working very well right now but I might do as you suggest and do a reload from the bootloader just so I know everything is "clean".

I'm not too upset about the Wi-Fi if that's just the way it is. I might be better to turn it off because I do have another router / access point that I can use. The device and firmware is still more flexible than the rather expensive Pepwave I used previously. WireGuard works very well for me. My script here works every time to reconnect after a reboot including a clean reboot or an immediate power off and on. https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=22154#p22154

The "0" problem happens on a cable too so is not Wi-Fi although I guess I haven't tried it with the Wi-Fi turned off.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

Yeah only way to be sure your truly "clean" is a bootloaer load.

As far as wifi it has always all worked just at a subpar level. Even the cheap archer i use was a drastic improvement in both performance and signal strength.

I do really like the openwrt I just cant make the newer versions work right in my setup which is very suboptimal as is. AKA mountains, line of site tower is 10 miles away, heavy trees, 35 meg down on my best days. Also for all I know the problems might be more related to my EP06-A the specifically the router but either way newer openwrt builds are not good on my setup unfortunately.

As for the 0 error, I really dont know, if it does it on ethernet then its not related to what I was thinking. What browser are you using to access the router? If it does this on chrome then I am clueless as to what it could be as I have never seen this scenerio.

As far as wireguard I cant even load the module needed on my openwrt version as it has a dependency on a kernel patch and when I load that kernel patch I lose half my luci menu options and it still says i dont have all the dependencies. Decided rather then do vpn at the router level I will just selectivly setup vpn on all my endpoints.

Return to “Firmware”