4G LTE signal in remote location.

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
bpolky
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

4G LTE signal in remote location.

Post by bpolky »

I am trying to get a good 4G signal at my new house in the hills outside of the city. The nearest tower is about 4km away, but hidden by a hill. Using a parabolic MIMO antenna on a mast about two meters above the second storey roofline, I can get a stable 4G signal, but it is weak (1 bar showing on the modem). To get line of site to the tower would require a mast that is at least 40 meters higher which is not feasible. Best speed I can achieve now is 3MB/s. Does anybody know if it is possible to attach some sort of amplifier to a MIMO antenna to boost the strength of the signal. For example, could I put a multiband amplifier on the end of each cable from the antenna before it attaches to the modem?? Something like

||||||||||||||||||||||||||----------AMPLIFIER---------
OUTDOOR ANT ...........................................................................MODEM

or even better

OUTDOOR ANT............................................................................REPEATER ---------- INDOOR ANT

or maybe even

||||||||||||||||||||||||||----------AMPLIFIER---------REPEATER ---------- INDOOR ANT
OUTDOOR ANT
||||||||||||||||||||||||||----------AMPLIFIER---------REPEATER ---------- INDOOR ANT

I don't know if any of this is possible, or even if the items I am suggesting exist. I am hoping something like the first one would give me faster internet speeds. The second and third might give me faster internet speed and mobile connection for phones within the house.

If this is not possible my only other option is satellite internet at high cost and with 500ms latency (until Starlink is available, which is scheduled for 1 - 2 years).

Return to “Cellular Antennas”