Amplify signal for MIMO antenna

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
bpolky
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Amplify signal for MIMO antenna

Post by bpolky »

I have relocated to a house outside the city. There are two towers I know about, one hidden behind a hill, the other is too far away. I bought a parabolic multi-band antenna, and that produced a stable 4G connection when I point in the direction of the tower over the hill. But, it is only registering 1 'bar' signal strength and speed test result is about 2MB/s. The antenna is already as high as I can go with the currently available hardware. The antenna is MIMO. I was hoping to use an amplifier and a repeater to improve internet speed and give me better phone connectivity around the property. When I ask Mr Google for info on amplifying a signal from a MIMO antenna I get a big blank. Are there any experts who can advise me what the options are?
Didneywhorl

Re: Amplify signal for MIMO antenna

Post by Didneywhorl »

That's a tough one. Have you tried using a flat panel directional antenna instead of a parabolic? Since you are likely collecting signal reflection, versus a straight signal, you might be missing some signal with the very tight beamwidth of the parabolic antenna.

One like: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/cellul ... connector/

If you do want to use a cellular booster, you could get a system like the one linked below, and simply put your antenna on the end instead of the one supplied.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/cellular-booste ... l-booster/
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

How long are your cables what type are you using??

Also can you give more information about the model number of your antenna.

See link for clues and hope 😎 https://youtu.be/xzqkoPL9t9A https://youtu.be/IddB63xWT7A
bpolky

Post by bpolky »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:46 am That's a tough one. Have you tried using a flat panel directional antenna instead of a parabolic? Since you are likely collecting signal reflection, versus a straight signal, you might be missing some signal with the very tight beamwidth of the parabolic antenna.

One like: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/cellul ... connector/

If you do want to use a cellular booster, you could get a system like the one linked below, and simply put your antenna on the end instead of the one supplied.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/cellular-booste ... l-booster/
I tried a flat panel antenna and could not get any 4G signal. It did collect the 3G signal and gave me about 1 MB/s. The parabolic is at least getting me a stable 4G signal, even at low strength and produced 2MB/s.
bpolky

Post by bpolky »

My main question here is... Can I attach any sort of amplifier to a MIMO antenna to boost the strength of the signal. For example, could I put a multiband amplifier on the end of each cable from the antenna before it attaches to the modem?? Something like

||||||||||||||||||||||||||----------AMPLIFIER---------
OUTDOOR ANT ...........................................................................MODEM

or even better

OUTDOOR ANT............................................................................REPEATER ---------- INDOOR ANT

or maybe even

||||||||||||||||||||||||||----------AMPLIFIER---------REPEATER ---------- INDOOR ANT
OUTDOOR ANT
||||||||||||||||||||||||||----------AMPLIFIER---------REPEATER ---------- INDOOR ANT

I don't know if any of this is possible, or even if the items I am suggesting exist. I am hoping something like the first one would give me faster internet speeds. The second and third might give me faster internet speed and mobile connection for phones within the house.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I've not spent much time with signal amplifiers. Hopefully someone with experience will jump it.

I would think you could put an amp on the parabolic and feed the signal via an indoor antenna. I'm not too sure about direct to modem connection.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

See link for clues.
As with everything on the Internet trust but verify.

https://youtu.be/5kHu6iE3ar0
synamrao

Post by synamrao »

Short answer is yes you can but it may not help. It will make the signal louder. But it will also make the noise louder. The only way to know if it is a net positive it’s terms of performance is to try.

Be sure to get one specifically made for inline data use (ie don’t direct wire a booster meant to rebroadcast cellular signal with an indoor antenna).

bpolky wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:32 pm My main question here is... Can I attach any sort of amplifier to a MIMO antenna to boost the strength of the signal. For example, could I put a multiband amplifier on the end of each cable from the antenna before it attaches to the modem?? Something like

OUTDOOR ANT ...........................................................................MODEM

or even better

OUTDOOR ANT............................................................................REPEATER ---------- INDOOR ANT

or maybe even

OUTDOOR ANT

I don't know if any of this is possible, or even if the items I am suggesting exist. I am hoping something like the first one would give me faster internet speeds. The second and third might give me faster internet speed and mobile connection for phones within the house.

Return to “Questions and Support”