EC25-AF takes exactly 5 minutes to reconnect

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
ed209
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

EC25-AF takes exactly 5 minutes to reconnect

Post by ed209 »

Hello,

I am testing an EC25-AF for a project that has the module installed in mobile vehicle. Whenever the LTE connection is lost, it takes exactly 5 minutes for connectivity return. I am able to replicate the issue consistently. On the contrary, when testing with the same SIM in a Huawei USB modem stick, , the reconnection happens much quicker (seconds). Is there some configuration in the modem which could be delaying reconnections? Anything I can do to speed up reconnection when the modem encounters weak/no signal?

I am running latest firmware EC25AFFDR07A09M4G_01.005.01. Running on Raspberry Pi and QMI on Verizon. This issue happened with previous firmware as well.

Thank you
Didneywhorl

Re: EC25-AF takes exactly 5 minutes to reconnect

Post by Didneywhorl »

Try ecm mode
ed209

Post by ed209 »

Thank you for the response @Didneywhorl. From my understanding ECM mode is not supported on the EC25-AF. I found through research that it is recommended to uninstall modemmanager as the Quectel-CM tool conflicts with it. I have done that and will test in the field. It's kind of hard to replicate the issue on the bench as I have to simulate weak signal and eventually a disconnect/reconnect. To add to it, I have a weak signal at my home. I will follow-up shortly.

PS - Is ECM mode stable/sufficient for long term connections (4-5hrs) and high throughput?
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

Devices have a pre-determined timeout for specific runtime environments, so whether its written in your module or the containing device has it one of them does and you can adjust it on most platforms, below I just took from 8800L hotspot but will be similar in your software as well.
timeouts.PNG
below you can see one of those files, keep in mind they are in milliseconds so the below timeout in seconds is about 43 seconds, these files usually reside in /proc/sys/net/netfilter, but can be in any one or more of those files in that path. also remember if you dont make a live edit but instead pull then edit and replace any of them you need to reset ownership and permissions so be sure to check those values first so you can know what to reset them to.
T2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ed209

Post by ed209 »

Rich Hathaway wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:17 pm Devices have a pre-determined timeout for specific runtime environments, so whether its written in your module or the containing device has it one of them does and you can adjust it on most platforms, below I just took from 8800L hotspot but will be similar in your software as well.
timeouts.PNG
below you can see one of those files, keep in mind they are in milliseconds so the below timeout in seconds is about 43 seconds, these files usually reside in /proc/sys/net/netfilter, but can be in any one or more of those files in that path. also remember if you dont make a live edit but instead pull then edit and replace any of them you need to reset ownership and permissions so be sure to check those values first so you can know what to reset them to.
T2.PNG
Wow this is very interesting. I have my EC25-AF modem connected to a HAT which is plugged-in to a raspberry pi b3+. I'll have to take a look around and see if I can locate something similar. This is all new to me but I am figuring my way around quickly. I'm not sure if the timeout settings would be something in the Quectel-CM tool or networkmanager or something else. I appreciate the response and will try to figure it out.

Return to “Quectel Modems”