RM502QAE Connectivity Issue - Only Some Services

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
YellowScissors
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RM502QAE Connectivity Issue - Only Some Services

Post by YellowScissors »

Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of an issue and stumped on what to try to next, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I've had a mofi4500 on t-mobile (One Plus Internation plan[which includes unlimited hotspot]) running without issue for years. Recently, I've noticed 4G in the area is very congested so I picked up a RM502q-AE and a USB adapter so I could utilize the 5g in the area. I flashed the mofi with goldenorb and got everything set up. I am getting much better internet speeds and the connection is fairly reliable. However, I've noticed there are a lot of services that I can no longer to get to work. For example, I can no longer join discord voice channel, join multiplayer games, or connect to vpn. I've also noticed that I can not even ping addresses such as 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 (requests time out),

Initially, I thought it was a rooter issue, so I've been combing through settings and forums trying to find a solution. I also followed the tutorial on here to change the startup script to only use IPv4 in case that was the issue. Today, I popped open the mofi and put the stock modem back in to give it a test and everything worked fine. This leads be believe that the issue is not with rooter, but with the RM502Q-AE itself. Does anyone know what I need to change to be able to use things like discord and vpns while using the 5g modem?
Didneywhorl

Re: RM502QAE Connectivity Issue - Only Some Services

Post by Didneywhorl »

Part of me wonders if the new 5G modems are defaulting to ipv6 as primary, causing issues with any ipv4 only services.

I don't think so, but I wonder
YellowScissors
Been thanked: 0

Post by YellowScissors »

Do you know of a way I can check that? I do know that when using the 5g modem, IPv6 seemed to be preferred (looking up my public IP resulted in an IPv6 address, pinging google resulted in the IPv6 address). Thought that it would be controlled on the router firmware side and that's why I thought it was fault initially.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Nope, ipv6 stuff is so far above my knowledge.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.
packlet

Post by packlet »

if not already, try setting to IPV4 only in the modem/connection profile/protocl type pick list (assuming that choice is available for that modem...) once applied, reboot them modem for good measure...

i understand you can disable IPV6 on the LAN side by editing the interface to disable 'IPV6 assignment length'. yeah, not super-intuitive, but there it is...
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

That sierra module in it is qualcomm, so ipv6 is master controlled by the nv item 1896 or 0x0768 so set the first 2 bytes to 01 for enable ipv6 or 00 for disable. it cannot use ipv6 if that nv is set to 00, now if you set it to 00 you will not have data services if that apn is set to ipv6 so to restore services change the apn to ip only if that happens

Return to “Quectel Modems”