Good Verizon plans for Gl-Inet x750v2 router

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
green73

Good Verizon plans for Gl-Inet x750v2 router

Post by green73 »

After failing with ATT, it looks like I wrote off verizon too soon. I was able to do a simple site survey by band locking my router one-band-at-a-time. Here are all the bands I can receive:

Code: Select all

band 4   mcc 311 mnc 480  rsrp -120 rsrq -14 rssi -89
band 5   mcc 311 mnc 480  rsrp -107 rsrq -6  rssi -87
band 12  mcc 310 mnc 410  rsrp -112 rsrq -9  rssi -85
band 13  mcc 311 mnc 480  rsrp -106 rsrq -11 rssi -77
If I am reading this right, bands 4,5,13 are Verizon and band 12 is ATT, and bands 5,13 have significantly better reception.

My x750 router has a Quactel EC25-AF modem. Given my troubles with ATT, I tought I would ask here first. Does anyone have recommendations for Verizon plans that will work with my router? Both visible and pageplus look promising. The throttling on visible wouldn't be a real issue for me but the latency might. Two pageplus $55 plans would give me all the bandwidth I need if the cutoff is still 200GB for them. Has anyone activated a new visible or pageplus plan on a x750 in the last few months?

Another option is to exchange this router for something else. Today (saturday) is the last day i can return this router. If I return this for different router, what should I get? I'd love something that would work with both ATT and Verizon, but I need something with external antennas and a local ethernet port. For ATT, the nighthawk 110 is the only device that will remain compatible with ATT after their 3G shutdown. But the nighthawk is missing band 13. WIll that be a problem with Verizon?

Sorry for the wall of text, but I have alot of questions and little time left to find answers.
MattB29

Re: Good Verizon plans for Gl-Inet x750v2 router

Post by MattB29 »

Rather a no brainer is it not? Get your money back and start over. I have read that there are people using the Nighthawk with Verizon but I have no personal experience. Lot of times what worked previously will not work now or shortly in the future.
optymyze
Has thanked: 0

Post by optymyze »

I have a Gl-net x750 working on an old verizon ipad plan as well as a pageplus plan. The key is ttl 117, first activating the sim card in an actual verizon compatible device, then *cough* converting your router to correspond with that legitimate device hardware id *cough*, then correct apn: vzwinternet for ipad plan and tracfone.vzwentp for pageplus.
mtnchar
Has thanked: 0

Post by mtnchar »

I wouldn't recommend any of pre-paid verizon ulimited plans. I tried the high tier plan without the extra $10 limited hotspot. So many ports were blocked, could not VPN, no IMAP/POP, streaming 480p at best. Could only use ports 443/80, so web surfing only and could use exchange server as it too uses those ports. This was on the router, I think without Hotspot they must block all but the basic ports.

Company VPN would not connect through the verizon service. Some ports may open up if you spring for the Hotspot option, I didn't bother trying it as sustained throughput was terrible (both in an iPhone and a router). Verizon looks good on speed tests but if you do a sustained download you will see it drop off very quickly in speed, the same is not true for the other options i have tried which overall maintain far higher throughput on sustained use. Native Verizon is the most heavily managed cellular network I have had the displeasure of using. They still seem to throttle data all the time and are continually messing with data throughput even on the expensive plans. At least on lowly Visible wireless I can maintain a VPN and IMAP connections for $25/month, it isn't fast but its stable, it is TTL sensitive so make sure to set that up. It isn't that fast, but generally 5-10mb/s peak, sustained seems to usually drop down to 5mb/s. It is my backup connection. I do notice if you have multiple clients hitting Visible the throttling gets worse and throughput goes down far more, if just one connection at a time the throughput generally is acceptable. There is certainly some severe bandwidth shaping going on that reacts to multiple connections more so than just a few, even if the data throughput is about the same overall.

I think PagePlus is a better Verizon network option as it did not have these issues in router or phone. Their speeds were about the same as Verizon, dropped off a little but not as severe as Native Verizon, but you have to keep data use under 200gb per month or its gets shut off. Less ports are blocked, vpn/imap/pop all connected fine, streaming still sucks at 480p though. I would have kept PagePlus but at $55/month, there were better AT&T options for me that performed as well or better and allowed 1080p streaming.

Verizon pre-paid is also TTL sensitive, I found TTL of 64 or 117 will work (I usually stick to 64 which means TTL 65 on my router or TTL 66 on the client). If this is not set correctly no data will flow on a plan without hotspot option, so you have to make sure your TTL mod is working.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”