Looking for suggestions on modems-

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
SomeAnonGuy

Looking for suggestions on modems-

Post by SomeAnonGuy »

So we have a truly unlimited data plan with ATT on our lines, but a limited tethering plan. I had been using a Oneplus One (rooted) to tether to with VPNHotspot (Great App) which bypassed all the hotspot detection whatnots. Was able to download hundreds of GBs a month for several years without ever having any sort of throttling or limit issue.

However, it died on me. And now I'm looking for a new solution to continue using the data plans as home internet. I'd use another rooted android phone, but I'd sooner just get a modem and turn it into a 'whole-house' internet solution. The idea is to just get another line added to the account, then stick the sim into the modem.

Do modems show up as tethering to the network? Or would it appear like it did on the OPO where it looks as if the phone itself is transmitting all the data? I don't need an expensive solution as I get 110 down on the towers (Live like, half a mile from a tower) and plan on using a computer turned media-center as a router.

Being out in rural Texas and ATT keeping the local area under lockdown (They offer DSL at 1.5Mbps down which is useless) and no other providers are working on running lines out here. When asked about their "fixed wireless" plan, they won't offer it. So this is pretty much my only option for actual 'normal' and usable internet.

So I suppose I'm asking if I should look for another rootable android phone and use it as a modem (to avoid any sort of suspicion or detection) or will a standalone modem suffice?
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Re: Looking for suggestions on modems-

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

SomeAnonGuy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:54 pm Do modems show up as tethering to the network?
Yes.

Depending on the plan, you might not even get any service on the modem.
SomeAnonGuy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:54 pm So I suppose I'm asking if I should look for another rootable android phone and use it as a modem (to avoid any sort of suspicion or detection)?
Yes.
SomeAnonGuy

Re: Looking for suggestions on modems-

Post by SomeAnonGuy »

Nice. Appreciate the concise response. I had a feeling this would be the case and was already looking around for phones that I can root. Just haven’t decided on anything yet.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”