Gl-X750v2 only connects at 3G with AT&T prepaid plan

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
green73

Gl-X750v2 only connects at 3G with AT&T prepaid plan

Post by green73 »

I recently bought a X750 and an AT&T 100GB/$55 prepaid plan, and I cannot get it to connect at 4G. It only connects at 3G. However, if I take the sim card out of my phone and put it into the X750, I get a 4G connection. So it is not the hardware or a lack of signal.

AT&T support is useless. They just say to take the 750 to a local store, and I don't have one close by.

I a novice with cellular stuff, so I don't know what logs or at commands you need to help.

Now I am still within the return window for this modem. So I could return it and get something that will work better with data plans directly from AT&T. I need something to provide internet to my entire home and I live about 4 miles from the cell towers, so a small puck style hotspot just isn't going to work.

Also, I've read a bit about Cricket banning most routers from their network. Could AT&T be expanding that to everyone now? One CSR told me that the x750 was not a "5G device" and would not work at all.
Dr-BroadBand

Re: Gl-X750v2 only connects at 3G with AT&T prepaid plan

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

See if t-Mobile home Internet is an option

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp

This is what I found on Amazon about your router.

GL.iNet GL-X750 (Spitz) 4G LTE OpenWrt VPN Router, Work with T-Mobile ONLY, 128GB Max MicroSD, EC25-AFFA Module Installed, AC750 Dual-Band Wi-Fi, IoT Gateway, VPN Client and Server
green73

Post by green73 »

That tmobile plan is not available at my location.

Anyway, the manufacturer claims that X750v2 is AT&T compatible. This is what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/GL-X750V2-Certif ... 08TRCSSZ4/
pewone
Has thanked: 0

Post by pewone »

99% of the time you get a 3G only connection it's because the APN is wrong. Make sure it's set to: broadband
green73

Post by green73 »

setting the apn to broadband did not work. I only get a 3G connection
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Just 3G.png
Looks like a known problem. :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
green73

Post by green73 »

Oh crap....

What is really weird is that I can get 4G in the x750 if I use my phone's sim card which is a trafcone plan.

So do I stick with the x750 and try verizon or a shady att reseller, or return this for something else?
green73

Post by green73 »

I've started looking for a new device and I'm wondering if this problem is with the manufacturer of the device or the modem. My concern is if I buy another device that happens to use the same modem (Quectel EC25 variant) I will end up with the same problem. Is this a realistic concern, or are these kinds of problems usually limited to specific routers.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

A better modem would help but I think 🤔 the problem is your SIM/Data Plan
green73

Post by green73 »

To be blunt, I don't have the money to experiment with different data plans hoping to find a compatible one. I need something that I know will work. I thought a straight no-nonsense data plan directly from AT&T would be the safest option to start out with. I was wrong.

I'm open to suggestions as to what data plans will work with the x750. Tracfone doesn't sell any decent data plans.
maethu

Post by maethu »

I'm currently also struggling quite a bit with AT&T.
I had the same issue as you too with multiple prepaid SIMs. The only way to solve it for me was to go to a AT&T store and replace the SIM.

If you changed your device/modem (different IMEI) it may also have this effect (no LTE), in this case you also have to go to a store and let them change the IMEI for the activated SIM.

I hope this helps!
green73

Post by green73 »

thanks. your reply does help.

It looks like I have to use a non-AT&T plan if I want to keep this device. I was hoping to avoid the shady reseller market.

Does anyone have any recommendions on a plan that currently works with the x750? AT&T and Verizon are the only carriers I get here.
maethu

Post by maethu »

FYI:
I don't really know how those 3rd/4th party services are incorporated, resp. rent the AT&T service, but I would say if AT&T does not support it als a reseller of the AT&T network will also not support it.
green73

Post by green73 »

I know one AT&T MVNO that works: Tracfone. If only they sold decent data plans....

As for the "unlimited" reselles, I agree that it is a gamble; it all depends on what they are really selling. I could give verizon a try, but there are so few options there, and they are all more expensive.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”