Modem recommendation for Calyx sim

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
misha@shemyakin.net
Has thanked: 0

Modem recommendation for Calyx sim

Post by misha@shemyakin.net »

Hi all,
Newbie here - reasonable networking knowledge, but completely new to the LTE world.
Got a Calyx membership, and looking to get a modem that I can connect to a Google WiFi mesh. It'll be indoors, fixed location (house), that has both T-Mobile and Sprint coverage (not sure about the relative signal strengths on all the bands).

Performance would be nice, but primary requirement is reliability & uptime (esp ability to come back from downtime, e.g. after a power outage when I'm not present to troubleshoot).

Any recommendations?

Thank you!
Didneywhorl

Re: Modem recommendation for Calyx sim

Post by Didneywhorl »

Welcome to the forum!

Which hotspot did you get from Calyx?
misha@shemyakin.net

Post by misha@shemyakin.net »

Didneywhorl wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:02 am Welcome to the forum!

Which hotspot did you get from Calyx?
Thank you, seems like a great forum! I got the Linkzone 2
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

OK cool!

I've used the WG3526-P from thewirelesshaven.com with the Quectel EM12G, and the EM7565.

I also like the NEXR5GO, or NEXQ6GO, router with the same modems, but if you want other options the Sierra MC7411 is cool, or the Quectel EM06A on a budget.

The Quectel modems use a "generic" firmware. The Sierra Wireless modems need to have their Generic firmware simply enabled, its already in there usually.

Sprint cant have SIM cards swapped to a different device if the new device uses an official "Sprint" firmware. IF you use one with official Sprint firmware you have to have Sprint/Tmo swap the device, like Mobile Swap Shop does. But Swap Shop may be stopping their services because doing it is getting harder and harder to do as Tmobile takes over all the customer service roles for Sprint. At least I think that's what I heard.
longpigman
Been thanked: 0

Post by longpigman »

hey Disneywhorl! I'm highjacking the post because you seem super knowledgeable and I'm lost. I have a flashed wg3526 with an em12g modem using a Clayx sim. I have a few newb questions.
1. Does the sim card go in the router's sim port or do I put it on the adapter for the em12g?
2. I have the pigtail connectors to hook up the modem to the router but not sure where the long pigtail and short pigtail go. I know one goes on the Main but there's a G and D connection. Which one do I use? Does it matter which wire is hooked to the main?
3. I thought I had connected everything correctly but when I power it on, no internet and my 3g/4g light isn't lit up but the others are.
4. Are there any special settings to consider?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, I'm really struggling here. Thank you :)
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

longpigman wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:03 pm hey Disneywhorl! I'm highjacking the post because you seem super knowledgeable and I'm lost. I have a flashed wg3526 with an em12g modem using a Clayx sim. I have a few newb questions.
1. Does the sim card go in the router's sim port or do I put it on the adapter for the em12g?
2. I have the pigtail connectors to hook up the modem to the router but not sure where the long pigtail and short pigtail go. I know one goes on the Main but there's a G and D connection. Which one do I use? Does it matter which wire is hooked to the main?
3. I thought I had connected everything correctly but when I power it on, no internet and my 3g/4g light isn't lit up but the others are.
4. Are there any special settings to consider?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, I'm really struggling here. Thank you :)
Hey there!

1: Router, for convenience, but it will/should work in the adapter too.

2: M and D, G is GPS. Main doesnt matter unless you plan on only using one antenna (Not recommended)

3 & 4: Make sure you set the APN to the same APN that your Calyx Hotspot uses. Disable the auto PDP contexts. (AT+QMBNCFG="AutoSel",0 and AT+QMBNCFG="Deactivate") Reboot.
Check your APNs with AT+CGDCONT?
Frankbot

Post by Frankbot »

Didneywhorl. Thanks again for all the advice on here.
Frankbot

Post by Frankbot »

Didneywhorl wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:22 pm OK cool!

I've used the WG3526-P from thewirelesshaven.com with the Quectel EM12G, and the EM7565.

I also like the NEXR5GO, or NEXQ6GO, router with the same modems, but if you want other options the Sierra MC7411 is cool, or the Quectel EM06A on a budget.

The Quectel modems use a "generic" firmware. The Sierra Wireless modems need to have their Generic firmware simply enabled, its already in there usually.

Sprint cant have SIM cards swapped to a different device if the new device uses an official "Sprint" firmware. IF you use one with official Sprint firmware you have to have Sprint/Tmo swap the device, like Mobile Swap Shop does. But Swap Shop may be stopping their services because doing it is getting harder and harder to do as Tmobile takes over all the customer service roles for Sprint. At least I think that's what I heard.
Didneywhorl,

Looks like the NEXQ6GO-M and the Sierra Wireless EM7411 CAT-7 LTE-Advanced Modem work with the 600mhz band 71. Awesome..
Suggestions on routers with 5ghz wireless?
Frankbot

Post by Frankbot »

Nevermind... reading helps! the WiFiX NEXP1GO is pretty great.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”