MIMO Testing

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
gabe1475

MIMO Testing

Post by gabe1475 »

Have my NEXQ6GO router setup and looking to verify that everything is working as expected. Have decent signals using paddle antenna 90db with 80+signal strength. What I wanted to make sure if is both antennas are working as expected. My expectation is that I would if I disconnect one antenna the connection should deteriorate with lowered download speeds.

In testing if I disconnect the first antenna, I am still able to download with very minimal change in signal strength as well as download speeds.

My question is disconnecting the other antenna, lowers signal more significantly, but still in the range that I would expect to be able to download, but not actually able to browse any webpages. Is that normal behavior. Does this have to do with the fact that one is the main and the other is diversity?

New to this and want to make sure I understand before I start looking at another antenna.
Dr-BroadBand

Re: MIMO Testing

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

It takes two to do MIMO as in the tower must also play nice. The problem is when you are out in the Country the towers are not always the best or have the latest technology.

Just guessing.

Take your setup on a road trip to other towers.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/power-adapter/1 ... -24v-10ft/
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Also the cable inside and connector act as a quasi antenna. If you have one antenna connected, I wouldn't be surprised if it could do fairly well to help keep up.
You may see better results when the main is still connected to an antenna, vs the diversity antenna being the one connected to an antenna.
Maybe.
gabe1475

Post by gabe1475 »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:15 am It takes two to do MIMO as in the tower must also play nice. The problem is when you are out in the Country the towers are not always the best or have the latest technology.

Just guessing.

Take your setup on a road trip to other towers.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/power-adapter/1 ... -24v-10ft/
That is the next step, going up to my Sister's cabin in Utah in two weeks where they use a MIFI and and a Netgear MIMO antenna. They have acceptable download speeds 10-15, but feel like it can be better. have the Paddle antennas on my setup, her MIMO antenna, and thinking of getting a panel antenna that is dual polarized to see if any gains can be made.
derekjsmith

Post by derekjsmith »

Which modem are you using?

My EM12s reports its antenna inputs as: first value is the primary, second is the differential
AT+QRSRP
+QRSRP: -99,-103,-140,-140

The EM7544 as: RxM is the primary, RxD is the differential
AT!GSTATUS?
PCC RxM RSSI: -82 RSRP (dBm): -112
PCC RxD RSSI: -82 RSRP (dBm): -111
gabe1475

Post by gabe1475 »

derekjsmith wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:16 pm Which modem are you using?

My EM12s reports its antenna inputs as: first value is the primary, second is the differential
AT+QRSRP
+QRSRP: -99,-103,-140,-140

The EM7544 as: RxM is the primary, RxD is the differential
AT!GSTATUS?
PCC RxM RSSI: -82 RSRP (dBm): -112
PCC RxD RSSI: -82 RSRP (dBm): -111
NEXQ6GO with Quectel EP06. Are those commands to get the individual values?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

AT+QRSRP isnt implemented on the EP06A I think
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

Didneywhorl wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:01 am AT+QRSRP isnt implemented on the EP06A I think
I can confirm that enterimg that command on an ep06-a modem comes back as error, so I would agree its not a valid command on ep06-a

Return to “Questions and Support”