rv LTE setup

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
Shanus
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

rv LTE setup

Post by Shanus »

I'm trying to pick out equipment for my RV, and I am just totally confused as to what to get. There are signal boosters, antennas, LTE routers to pick from. Right now I'm leaning toward a signal booster AND an LTE router.

I need to have enough bandwidth for video calls. So if I am staying in an area and I have a signal, but even with a booster I can't do video calls, then I'm moving. From my few days of googling, I think this means I have to prioritize Downlink and uplink power over signal strength. Not all devices have this information in their marketing, especially for LTE routers which I guess assume you have a good signal. I've been looking at Mofi routers, which have a lot of features that I like, but even though they highlight that it's a good choice for RVs and there are 2 antenna inputs, their marketing says little about its performance in areas with marginal service. Am I better off getting 2 antennas recommended by Mofi (they have directional, omnidirectional, and panel)and mounting them to my roof, or no antenna, but pair with a dedicated signal booster(that might use the same type of antenna)?

The other big question is what plan to use. It looks like a lot of plans throttle you which is a dealbreaker for me. I'm willing to have multiple plans or pay more monthly to have truly unlimited data with no throttling. This is further complicated by the fact that each carrier also uses only certain frequency bands or technology and it's hard to tell if a certain carrier/subset of bands will give me the best flexibility.

This is the most important aspect of enabling travel for me so, I'm looking for the best possible experience.
Any advice is appreciated!
Dr-BroadBand

Re: rv LTE setup

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Stay away from boosters and the MoFI.

See link for data options
https://youtu.be/Ny_BjGfVboU
gscheb

Re: rv LTE setup

Post by gscheb »

If you want to make sure you have usable data when you move around will need more than one option more than likely.

Would look into these plans

1. T-Mobile home Internet
2. Visible phone service
3. Calyx Institute
4. AT&T Post Pay Tablet Plan
5. T-Mobile Magenta Max

Far as equipment yes there are better options than Mofi.

Return to “Questions and Support”