Quectel RM500Q-AE change APN Protocol

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
adesai414
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Quectel RM500Q-AE change APN Protocol

Post by adesai414 »

I have the RM500Q-AE modem installed in the WG1608. I am having an issue connecting a few of my devices with the router. I think I have narrowed it down to being an APN Protocol issue. When I connect an android phone to this router and create a new APN and use an APN Protocol of IPv4 everything works great. When I use the RM500Q modem my devices are not able to connect to the router via WiFI. I found a few AT commands for changing the PDP type but it does not seem to be working. Does anyone know how I can force the RM500Q to use IPV4 over 5G?

I tried using these commands: AT+CGDCONT AT commands sets the PDP context parameters such as PDP type (IP, IPV6, PPP, X.25 etc), APN, data compression, header compression etc.

I have tried disabling IPv6 on the router but it still does not work. I think the issue is related to the APN TYPE. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Ring devices do not connect.
Google Home does not connect.
Unable connect to OpenVPN server.
Didneywhorl

Re: Quectel RM500Q-AE change APN TYPE

Post by Didneywhorl »

Which service an plan?
BillA

Post by BillA »

adesai414 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:46 am Ring devices do not connect.
Google Home does not connect.
Unable connect to OpenVPN server.

Before anything, I would test the sim card in a phone and find the APN the phone's using under Connections/Mobile/Wireless > Mobile Network >APN.
The "APN Type" in the phone is usually set to "default,DUN,mms,supl", and so is in a router by the firmware, there's nothing you need to change.
adesai414

Post by adesai414 »

I used it in the phone and it works fine with using usb tether. Now that I look at it I’m actually referring to the APN Protocol. When it’s set to IPv4 it works and IPv6 doesn’t work. Is there anyway to update those settings on the modem?
adesai414

Post by adesai414 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:19 am Which service an plan?
I’m using it with T-Mobile Magenta Max plan.
BillA

Post by BillA »

adesai414 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:12 pm I used it in the phone and it works fine with using usb tether. Now that I look at it I’m actually referring to the APN Protocol. When it’s set to IPv4 it works and IPv6 doesn’t work. Is there anyway to update those settings on the modem?

You can set the "APN Protocol" via AT commands to either IPv4, v6, or v4v6, but the router's firmware will probably overwrite it after a reboot. You could give the following a try.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=20344#p20344
If it still doesn't work, then it likely your modem being blocked by the carrier.
adesai414

Post by adesai414 »

BillA wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:37 pm You can set the "APN Protocol" via AT commands to either IPv4, v6, or v4v6, but the router's firmware will probably overwrite it after a reboot. You could give the following a try.
If it still doesn't work, then it likely your modem being blocked by the carrier.
I tried those changes to the LAN interface and now the modem is able to connect and get an IP address but it does not allow me to browse any websites. I keep getting a DNS probe error. Any suggestions? I tried it in QMI, MBIM, and ECM mode.
BillA

Post by BillA »

adesai414 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:36 pm I tried those changes to the LAN interface and now the modem is able to connect and get an IP address but it does not allow me to browse any websites. I keep getting a DNS probe error. Any suggestions? I tried it in QMI, MBIM, and ECM mode.

Well, you could either tether a phone via usb as an external modem the legal way, or do the not-so-legal magic.
We don't talk about that on here, so you'll have to search online.
adesai414

Post by adesai414 »

BillA wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:37 pm You can set the "APN Protocol" via AT commands to either IPv4, v6, or v4v6, but the router's firmware will probably overwrite it after a reboot. You could give the following a try.
Do you know which AT command I would use to force the modem into IPv4? I can see if that works to solve my issue temporarily.
BillA

Post by BillA »

adesai414 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:28 am Do you know which AT command I would use to force the modem into IPv4? I can see if that works to solve my issue temporarily.

You could try it, but from my experience once you restart the router, it will be likely changed back to IPv4v6 by the firmware. There's a mod on this forum which lets you hard code it to make it persistent after restarts.

First clear all APN's via this command (you may skip it if you get an error).

Code: Select all

AT+CGDCONT=1;+CGDCONT=2;+CGDCONT=3;+CGDCONT=4;+CGDCONT=5
Then change it to IPv4 only by filling in "Your_APN"

Code: Select all

AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","Your_APN"
if the above didn't work, then try
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","Your_APN","",0,0
Do not restart the router, just wait a couple of minutes then test the web.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

adesai414 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:36 pm I tried those changes to the LAN interface and now the modem is able to connect and get an IP address but it does not allow me to browse any websites. I keep getting a DNS probe error. Any suggestions? I tried it in QMI, MBIM, and ECM mode.
If it is showing 'connected' to LTE but you can't load web it does sound IMEI related. Sometimes the provider will allow comms. to the tower but then simply block certain ports such as DNS and port 80 so it looks like you do not have internet. This can be bypassed with a vpn since that runs on different ports. Might be worth a try esp. when in a pinch and need internet.

Return to “Quectel Modems”