WG1608 ping wont work, but internet is fine

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
macuser_i686

WG1608 ping wont work, but internet is fine

Post by macuser_i686 »

I recently setup a

Code: Select all

WG1608 router on the GoldenOrb_2021-03-25 firmware
with the new 5G Quectel RM502Q-AE modem 
using a tmobile magenta max unlimited account, 
and mangling the TTL on both IPV4 and IPV6 to '64'
Internet works great, but for whatever reason, any device that is connected to the network cannot send pings out to anything on the internet. This is a big deal for me, because it breaks a bunch of games i use that rely on ping to connect to a nearby server etc. ive tried google.com etc. they all just come back with an

Code: Select all

icmp request timeout
Now if i go into diagnostics on the router, i CAN ping google.com from the router itself, which means tmobile isnt blocking icmp requests or anything. I have reset the router back to default settings, ive tried enabling just about anything and everything through the router firewall. turning on and off just about every setting that could possibly be relevant in the router to no avail.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I am quite experienced with most networking stuff but GoldenOrb is a bit new to me.
Didneywhorl

Re: WG1608 ping wont work, but internet is fine

Post by Didneywhorl »

I have seen this on both T-mobile and Sprint, and your right it isn't the carrier, but I think it IS the IPV6 reliance on the carriers end that the openWRT routers can't seem to handle maybe?

The whole gig works great, but for some odd reason IPV6 only/mainly connections, that T-mo is seemingly moving to, are giving the whole openWRT firmware group of routers a hard time.

If you find a solution, please let me know. :)
macuser_i686

Post by macuser_i686 »

Hmmm, maybe something to do with IPV6, although if I go to https://www.whatismyip.com/ it sees an IPV4 address and says IPV6 not detected. If it was an IPV6 issue, wouldn’t that mean that anything behind that IPV6 address if I had one, wouldn’t be able to ping, including the router itself? The router can ping out, which makes me think router firewall or LAN config.

It is worth noting that the modem is connected with QMI, not MBIM.
Ivanesteva90

Post by Ivanesteva90 »

the same problem , which modem do you have.
macuser_i686

Post by macuser_i686 »

modem is the Quectel RM502Q-AE
Ivanesteva90

Post by Ivanesteva90 »

macuser_i686 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:52 pm modem is the Quectel RM502Q-AE

this is my post with the same issue

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8& ... 341#p20341
BillA

Post by BillA »

macuser_i686 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:38 pm Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I am quite experienced with most networking stuff but GoldenOrb is a bit new to me.

I would try the following.

Reflash the router with the latest GoldenOrb firmware in bootloader mode.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6007#p6007

Latest WG1608 GoldenOrb firmware dated 2021-07-31.
http://www.aturnofthenut.com/upload/ZBT-WG1608-GO2021-07-31.zip

Set the APN and TTL only, nothing else, then test the web and ping using ethernet and WiFi.
If it's still not working try step-2 below to disable IPv6 on the router.

Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > Common Configuration > General Setup > IPv6 Assignment Length > select "Disabled", then click on Save&Apply

Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > Common Configuration > Advanced Settings > Use Builtin IPv6 Management > uncheck the box, then click on Save&Apply

Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > DHCP Server > IPv6 Settings > select "Disabled" on the first three items, then click on Save&Apply

Click on Save&Apply after you're done with all of the settings above.
Unplug/replug the power cable, and wait 5 minutes to boot up fully, then test the web and ping using ethernet and WiFi.

If the ping's still not working after try the above, then it may be some carrier issue, but as long as web browsing works, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
macuser_i686

Post by macuser_i686 »

Thank you BIllA :) .

I have re-flashed to the latest firmware provided above, and ping is working now.

funnily enough ping is working under IPV6, but when i went the additional steps and disabled IPV6, ping no longer worked on IPV4. perhaps the reason it wasnt working before i updated the firmware was that i wasnt getting an IPV6 but was only getting an IPV4.

Still not sure why ping doesnt work under IPV4 though. trying to ping an IPV4 address like 8.8.8.8 still doesnt work even with IPV6 and IPV4 enabled together. only domain name or IPV6 pings work now

As a side note, after re-flashing, every time i navigate to the Network > interfaces page after rebooting, i get the message about upgrading the ifname config, even though ive hit continue and done the config upgrade already. not sure if that means that the ifname config upgrade hasnt stuck, or its just a bug or what.
BillA

Post by BillA »

macuser_i686 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:31 pm Thank you BIllA :) .

I have re-flashed to the latest firmware provided above, and ping is working now.

funnily enough ping is working under IPV6, but when i went the additional steps and disabled IPV6, ping no longer worked on IPV4. perhaps the reason it wasnt working before i updated the firmware was that i wasnt getting an IPV6 but was only getting an IPV4.

Still not sure why ping doesnt work under IPV4 though. trying to ping an IPV4 address like 8.8.8.8 still doesnt work even with IPV6 and IPV4 enabled together. only domain name or IPV6 pings work now

As a side note, after re-flashing, every time i navigate to the Network > interfaces page after rebooting, i get the message about upgrading the ifname config, even though ive hit continue and done the config upgrade already. not sure if that means that the ifname config upgrade hasnt stuck, or its just a bug or what.

You're welcome, I'm glad it's working. Some carriers work on both IPv4v6 while others only on one or the other.
I believe the "IFname" stands for "InterFaceName", I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could try both QMI and MBIM modes to see if that helps ping the Google DNS server 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

AT+QCFG="usbnet",0 - QMI/PPP/Default NDIS
AT+QCFG="usbnet",1 - ECM
AT+QCFG="usbnet",2 - MBIM

Followed by AT+FUN,1,1, restart the router, wait about 5 minutes, first test the web then the ping test.

I have my router set to IPv4 in QMI mode on Tmobile, and able to ping any IP just fine.

C:\>ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=64
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=64
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=64
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 42ms, Average = 40ms

C:\>ping 8.8.4.4

Pinging 8.8.4.4 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.4.4: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=64
Reply from 8.8.4.4: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=64
Reply from 8.8.4.4: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=64
Reply from 8.8.4.4: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 8.8.4.4:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 44ms, Maximum = 47ms, Average = 45ms
Ivanesteva90

Post by Ivanesteva90 »

thanks i can ping ipv6 now but i can play any game (CODMOBILE) etc, but i can ping now only IPV6
macuser_i686

Post by macuser_i686 »

Thanks. I won’t worry about the ifname config thingy

So, I can ping IPV4 fine from on the router, it’s just if I try to ping ipv4 from a computer connected to the router it doesn’t work.

Just tried both MBIM and QMI, with nearly identical ping and same issue for ipv4 ping.
Ivanesteva90

Post by Ivanesteva90 »

inside the router i can do it but the same from any computer in the network, so rare
Ivanesteva90

Post by Ivanesteva90 »

I put another modem (em12-G)and working great, and I don’t know what’s going On with it.
macuser_i686

Post by macuser_i686 »

I have fixed the issue now it would seem. i swapped in my em160r-gl which is LTE only and everything works great now. It would seem that something T-Mobile is doing on the backend for their 5G network is messing with stuff.
macuser_i686

Post by macuser_i686 »

Hmmm, all of a sudden today i cant even ping out from my router using ipv4, but ipv6 works on router. havent changed anything. tried full restart too. is this happening to anyone else?
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

This is why I like using WireGuard. The only protocol I need the carrier to pass is UDP.
macuser_i686

Post by macuser_i686 »

hmmm are you using tmobile? i cant get wireguard to work now. only openVPN using TCP.
iceburglar

Post by iceburglar »

Having same type of issue with my WG1608 ( flashed to wifix GoldenOrb_2021-09-13 ) and Quectel RM502Q-AE ( just purchased with flash to latest firmware ). Was quite happy that both my upload and download roughly doubled using the same antenna setup, compared to my WE826 & Telit LM960.

Web browsing and netflix work nicely but I can't play online games. Games can not connect to or load server lists ( Team Fortress 2, COD Mobile in Gameloop ). Using command prompt in windows I can not get a response to pinging 8.8.8.8 or other addresses but i DO get response issuing pings from within rooter.. Discord voice chat not functional, goes back and forth between "No Route", "Connecting", "Authenticating", "RTC Connecting".

Trying to decide where to go from here, I need everything to work. Are windows drivers available for quectel cards and I can try it in USB sled? I don't see how this is purely a carrier issue when pings succeed issued from the router but not from the PC, to me that sounds like a router issue
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

iceburglar wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:12 am Having same type of issue with my WG1608 ( flashed to wifix GoldenOrb_2021-09-13 ) and Quectel RM502Q-AE ( just purchased with flash to latest firmware ). Was quite happy that both my upload and download roughly doubled using the same antenna setup, compared to my WE826 & Telit LM960.

Web browsing and netflix work nicely but I can't play online games. Games can not connect to or load server lists ( Team Fortress 2, COD Mobile in Gameloop ). Using command prompt in windows I can not get a response to pinging 8.8.8.8 or other addresses but i DO get response issuing pings from within rooter.. Discord voice chat not functional, goes back and forth between "No Route", "Connecting", "Authenticating", "RTC Connecting".

Trying to decide where to go from here, I need everything to work. Are windows drivers available for quectel cards and I can try it in USB sled? I don't see how this is purely a carrier issue when pings succeed issued from the router but not from the PC, to me that sounds like a router issue
Which cell carrier?
iceburglar

Post by iceburglar »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:52 am Which cell carrier?
T-Mobile ( postpay, One Plus International ). I have a 5G provisioned SIM for the ATT $20 postpay tablet plan on the way to try soon.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

iceburglar wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:18 pm T-Mobile ( postpay, One Plus International ). I have a 5G provisioned SIM for the ATT $20 postpay tablet plan on the way to try soon.
Let us know if you actually end up getting a 5G signal or connection with your new sim. As far as I know there are only a few of ATT's plans that are 5G enabled and pretty sure the popular postpay $20 tablet plan isn't one of them. If this is the case, i'm gonna have to do some research on it as I never could get it to connect to 5G unless on their top prepay plan.
iceburglar

Post by iceburglar »

mtl26637 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:31 pm Let us know if you actually end up getting a 5G signal or connection with your new sim. As far as I know there are only a few of ATT's plans that are 5G enabled and pretty sure the popular postpay $20 tablet plan isn't one of them. If this is the case, i'm gonna have to do some research on it as I never could get it to connect to 5G unless on their top prepay plan.
I'll post my results. I ordered a 5G tablet at the same time I requested the plan, this is how the plan details are shown on their site;

And the site shows my bill as the sum of $20 and the installment payment for the device
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I didn't see, which firmware version are you using again? My brain isn't working well today. ;)
iceburglar

Post by iceburglar »

Yep the issue is related to using T-Mobile with this setup ( WG1608 and RM502Q-AE ). I got my ATT tablet & SIM today and put it in my identity-crisis RM502Q-AE / WG1608 , and on ATT I'm able to receive response to pings sent from my PC and games properly load server lists and are playable. Wish there was a fix or good workaround to use T-Mobile in this setup because I'm getting about 3x the download throughput with T-Mobile vs ATT in this area.
Didneywhorl wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:17 pm I didn't see, which firmware version are you using again? My brain isn't working well today. ;)
Hi Didney,
If you are asking about my RM502Q-AE, I am using the command AT+GMR and/or AT+CGMR to query the module, which returns;
RM502QAEAAR11A02M4G

On a positive note, I just noticed that Band-Locking has been implemented for my RM502 within the wifix/goldenorb config pages. What a nice surprise!
iceburglar

Post by iceburglar »

As for the issue mentioned in the OP with T-Mobile, I set my module to 4G-Only from the config pages in Wifix ( Modem > Miscellaneous > Cellular Mode )and power cycled the router. 4G-Only mode on the RM502Q-AE using T-Mobile lets my PC receive ping responses and my applications and online games work properly.

I've been running speed-tests and at least in my current location there is no consistent/significant difference in my download rate between 4G and Automatic/5G, latency might be ~5ms higher on 4G vs 5G but hard to say since I can only test one at a time.

Also I'm still experimenting with this setup on ATT but so far it seems the similar to my experience with T-Mobile in that there isn't much difference in latency and download/upload between setting it to 4G and 5G. Gonna keep playing with it in different locations and times of day but that's probably for another thread.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

All great info, but I meant which firmware on the router. :)
iceburglar

Post by iceburglar »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:02 am All great info, but I meant which firmware on the router. :)
:lol:

GoldenOrb_2021-09-13 ( WiFiX-WG1608-GO2021-09-13a.zip ) which I got from the Google Drive link on https://thewirelesshaven.com/wifix-router-firmware/. As of today it still appears to be the latest wifix version offered
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

iceburglar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:35 pm :lol:

GoldenOrb_2021-09-13 ( WiFiX-WG1608-GO2021-09-13a.zip ) which I got from the Google Drive link on https://thewirelesshaven.com/wifix-router-firmware/. As of today it still appears to be the latest wifix version offered
Did you flash it like 3x in a row without "saving settings" and then setup the settings fresh by hand without using a saved config file?
iceburglar

Post by iceburglar »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:02 pm Did you flash it like 3x in a row without "saving settings" and then setup the settings fresh by hand without using a saved config file?
Hmm, I didn't take notes to be able to relay the exact steps I took. But roughly what I did is I tried to use the router config pages to flash to a recent version of goldenorb from ofmodemsandmen website ( i think it was ZBT-WG1608-GO2021-08-15 ). Seemed to not work properly and I couldn't access the router on my network so I had to unplug-hold reset button-reconnect power-wait and release- to do a reset, I think this is when the router "turned Chinese" and I guessed what options to click and I was able to use the pages to flash the current wifix version ( I did have the checkbox set so settings would not be retained ) I assumed this would put the settings to default - all I have really changed is trying to turn ipv6 off to see if that was where my T-Mobile issues stemmed from.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I would reflash via the webUI menu 3x in a row and make sure the "save settings" box is unchecked.

Then on the fresh install make sure that both wifi radios are not set to "auto" on the channel. There seems to be an issue with the WG1608 and auto channel on the wifi radios.

I wouldn't disable the ipv6 as a setting myself, it shouldn't be needed. Tmobile is going heavy into IPV6 use now I believe.
shaneomac182
Has thanked: 0

Post by shaneomac182 »

I'm having the exact same issue and scratching my head. It does seem to be something with ipv6 and T-Mobile's network. So weird that the router itself can ping but no clients can while on anything but LTE with the APN set as "IP" for ipv4. Has anyone solved this?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

OpenWRT doesn't seem to have icmp (ping) over ipv6 figured out I think
shaneomac182
Has thanked: 0

Post by shaneomac182 »

After further testing my Linux clients can connect and ping even when connecting ipv4 only. However, my Mac clients and my PFSense router cannot ping. Could it be something on T-Mobile? It doesn't make sense.

Return to “General and Unclassified”