Modem Upgrade Choices

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
zac2424

Modem Upgrade Choices

Post by zac2424 »

Hey,
I’m planning on giving my current modem EM7565 to a family member and looking to upgrade to 4x4 Mimo.

Looking for suggestions and experience with Verizon iPad sim on the following modems.

LM960A18
EM160R-GL

There are some other 5g modems available, but doubt we get 5g service here anytime soon. I’ve got fairly good access to bands 2, 13, and 66 currently. And I’m using a WG1608 router.

The EM7565 registration process with Verizon is a bit painful. Have to let it register, then add vzwinternet, reboot via the ui, then add ttl. Works great but any power outage or glitch that require power reboot and I have to do process again.

Thanks in advance!
BillA

Re: Modem Upgrade Choices

Post by BillA »

zac2424 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:49 pm Hey,
I’m planning on giving my current modem EM7565 to a family member and looking to upgrade to 4x4 Mimo.

Looking for suggestions and experience with Verizon iPad sim on the following modems.

LM960A18
EM160R-GL

There are some other 5g modems available, but doubt we get 5g service here anytime soon. I’ve got fairly good access to bands 2, 13, and 66 currently. And I’m using a WG1608 router.

The EM7565 registration process with Verizon is a bit painful. Have to let it register, then add vzwinternet, reboot via the ui, then add ttl. Works great but any power outage or glitch that require power reboot and I have to do process again.

Thanks in advance!

Once you set the APN and TTL in the router, it should retain it between reboots, there's no need to set it every time.
Verizon seems to have a a more finicky registration process than other carriers, therefore it's a good idea to set auto-restart once a day or upon loss of mobile data. Try the following:

Services > Scheduled Reboot > Reboot > enable Reboot and set a time of your choice (ex. 3am)

As an additional measure, your could also enable the The Wireless Haven Ping Test or Connection Monitoring to restart the modem, but only one option should be used at a time in order to avoid any conflicts.

Services > The Wireless Haven Ping Test > set it to Enabled
OR but not both
Modem > Connection Profile > Default Profile > Connection Monitoring > there are several restart options available to try
zac2424

Post by zac2424 »

Thanks, i've implemented your suggestion and will see how that works out going forward. Just got my LM960A18 in today with some new antennas/cables. Excited to see what the new modem and 4x4 mimo might yield.
BillA

Post by BillA »

zac2424 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:05 pm Thanks, i've implemented your suggestion and will see how that works out going forward. Just got my LM960A18 in today with some new antennas/cables. Excited to see what the new modem and 4x4 mimo might yield.

Another solution to keep the mobile connection alive constantly is by streaming a web page in the background such as this stock quote link:

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/?symbol=BTCUSD

It should be run in a web browser on any device which is constantly connected to the router (24/7) such as a phone, tablet, or preferably a PC because even a minimized browser window/tab is being updated in the background. It uses very little data while keeping the connection alive. And might as well trade some Bitcoin to get rich (or poor). lol Ever since I started to use this link, I haven't has a single disconnection for months, your mileage may vary.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”