Awesome Download but Virtually no Upload

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
BMSman

Awesome Download but Virtually no Upload

Post by BMSman »

I have a Visible / WG3526 / EM160 setup. I've taken it on some road trips and i have VERY consistently terrible upload speed tests. Like .01-.03 up. Meanwhile, I've gotten mind-blowing 90-140 download speeds at times.

I've tried playing with the TTL but 64 and 65 seem to be the same. Is there something I'm missing in software or maybe hardware that could be an issue? Sometimes it actually freezes netflix because it can't upload a selection request but once I get it playing, it can stream any video flawlessly. So I believe its not just a Speedtest issue.

Open to all ideas!
Dr-BroadBand

Re: Awesome Download but Virtually no Upload

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Are you using a booster?
VPN?

Tell us more about The computer or streaming device you’re using

What band are you on?

What’s a signal strength?

Have you tried turning the Wi-Fi off and using a cable? Will Simplify troubleshooting

sounds like a software issue
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

BMSman wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:31 am I have a Visible / WG3526 / EM160 setup. I've taken it on some road trips and i have VERY consistently terrible upload speed tests. Like .01-.03 up. Meanwhile, I've gotten mind-blowing 90-140 download speeds at times.

I've tried playing with the TTL but 64 and 65 seem to be the same. Is there something I'm missing in software or maybe hardware that could be an issue? Sometimes it actually freezes netflix because it can't upload a selection request but once I get it playing, it can stream any video flawlessly. So I believe its not just a Speedtest issue.

Open to all ideas!
Are you making sure it's not just a speed test telling you this? I noticed that speedtest.net does not register upload when I'm on my Visible SIM, but I can upload files just fine. Since Visible routers traffic through their servers, it may be an issue with some tests. Use other tests to make sure:

https://testmy.net/

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

https://speed.cloudflare.com/

https://analiti.com/

https://speedtest.net/
BMSman

Post by BMSman »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:35 am Are you using a booster?
VPN?

Tell us more about The computer or streaming device you’re using

What band are you on?

What’s a signal strength?

Have you tried turning the Wi-Fi off and using a cable? Will Simplify troubleshooting

sounds like a software issue
  • No Booster or VPN.
  • Just using my phone and/or laptop.
  • The bands are autoselecting because I have been moving down the road but its the same at home too.
  • Signal strength is usually above 80%
  • Yes, Tried plugging in directly

I also thought it might be just the speed test but the devices act like its slow to upload too. For example, Loading Netflix App on my phone, the app loads and tries to login to my account but never gets past the black screen. As soon as I switch back to cell it immediately loads. Then I switched back to WIFI and make a selection and it again stalls. Its not able to upload the selection. But once selected, it will steam the movie perfectly.

Does this make sense?

All those speed tests show similar speeds for uploads so it must be somewhat accurate.

Any assistance would be awesome!
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Hummm

You have some awesome hardware!!
Smells like a software problem.

Do some screen shots of your router and share,
I would do a factory reset on the router and reload firmware..

Make sure record and backup your settings
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

What is your signal level when this happens? Is it all the time? Is this over wifi or ethernet? Have you tested it over ethernet as well if only wifi?
BMSman

Post by BMSman »

Thanks for the replies. To answer your questions, its all the time. Fast.com shows the best upload at maybe 1mbps but its consistent across all the tests regardless of signal, bands, location etc.

Digging deeper I've found that using a VPN on my computer and phone (I have NORD) allows all the speed tests to function normally. So does that mean Visible is blocking stuff on their end?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

BMSman wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:45 pm Thanks for the replies. To answer your questions, its all the time. Fast.com shows the best upload at maybe 1mbps but its consistent across all the tests regardless of signal, bands, location etc.

Digging deeper I've found that using a VPN on my computer and phone (I have NORD) allows all the speed tests to function normally. So does that mean Visible is blocking stuff on their end?
Yes, 100%

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”