Calyx & T-Mobile Bands

Topics Related to Cell Towers, Frequencies and Bands
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
kannedfaru
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Calyx & T-Mobile Bands

Post by kannedfaru »

Hey everyone,

New Calyx member here. Someone on reddit suggested to me that the Nighthawk M1 MR1100-100NAS would be a great modem for Calyx because of tmo roaming updates last year. At my location I get tmo bands 4 & 5 around 3 bars which is better than the crumby DSL provider on this street. The at!gstatus? is always on de-registered when I'm connected to these bands.

If I take the modem for a drive into town it immediately registers on B66 LTE Extended and I get the expected 80 down / 35 up.

Is tmobile blocking sprint roaming on B4 & B5? All I found on Calyx's website is that B4 is the main band for tmo but I've come to not trust much of the information I find on there.

I get -122dB on B66 here but I may fork over some $$$ and stick a MIMO on the roof. I have pretty good reason to believe it's a lot better about 15-20 feet above my head.

https://calyxinstitute.org/membership/i ... ency-bands
islander261

Re: Calyx & T-Mobile Bands

Post by islander261 »

Hi

I use Calyx and have had no problems connecting through a T-Mobile tower. I have locked out the Sprint bands 25,26,41 on my modem to keep it from trying to connect to the weak low band Sprint tower that is 6 miles away. My local (1.6 miles) T-Mobile tower has bands 2,4,12,66,71. Now my modem is set in the not recommended band mask to use only 66 & 71 as they provide the best speed. Before T-Mobile added band 71 to the tower my best speeds were using bands 4 with CA to band 12. I use external MINO antennas on a 28' mast to peek over a slight ridge.

John
kannedfaru
Been thanked: 0

Post by kannedfaru »

Hmm are you also using a Nighthawk? I don't believe it supports B71
islander261

Post by islander261 »

No, I am not using a Nighthawk. I am using a MC7411 modem because it supports band 71. You should get good results on band 4 CAed with band 12. On my tower band 12 is only 3Mhz wide so it is slow. What you use is really dependent on what bands are used for the cells covering your location.

John
Sintrail

Post by Sintrail »

I get about 50-60mbps / 1-4mbps on tmobile using the M1. I'm using 2 parabolic antennas and I'm about 90ft below the ridge I'm shooting over at a tower about 4 miles away.

Yes it will work. There's no B71 though, if B71 is really good in your area you might want to consider a newer modem build that supports it. I'm on the fence myself yet, because I'd really like higher uploads and I can get that on B71. I just ordered an Orbi 4G unit which should work great on your Calyx plan and it gets B71. We'll see this week how it works.

Also Tmobile doesn't really use B5 except in select location(s) so I'd double check that you were sure about that.

Return to “Towers, Frequencies and Bands”