Advice, New Rural user with a Mofi 5500 - Best Plan?

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
travwill
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Advice, New Rural user with a Mofi 5500 - Best Plan?

Post by travwill »

Hey there all, been scouring the site some but would appreciate the best advice for scenario. Moving from city of Chicago where we are spoiled with a good gigabit service and 1.2TB included (Xfinity) to rural Texas (back home).

I have a new Mofi 5500 9191 LTE & 5G capable router. Was thinking Tmobile with their new 600mhz band may be a slower 5G option so go that one.

But, what are the best unlimited plans to utilize right now and through who? Was hoping for Verizon or Tmobile as service seems strong where we'll be. Trying to figure out the more safe/official way to go as its annoying that tmobile/verizon won't offer us LTE home service based on address yet officially. That and there seem to be a lot of "shady" unlimited offers through last mile internet and others like them for example out there.

We use about 900GB-1TB a month now working at home and streaming YouTube TV for TV but expecitng that to drop a little as not carrying that service forward. Maybe expect to use a good 500GB-750GB a month or so... maybe 1TB still at times.

THoughts?
Dr-BroadBand

Re: Advice, New Rural user with a Mofi 5500 - Best Plan?

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

There a many 3rd tier (Bottom Feeders) that make the BIG promise of unlimited data.
And you are desperate to believe them, so you do, been there done that! :o

If you go that route, use a pre-paid credit card to setup a fire wall from your cash.
The problem as you stated they are VERY sketchy!! The no contract cuts both ways, they often change carriers on you and need to send a new SIM because the SIM stop working.

1. Most of the time you need to pay for a “Membership Fee” $100+
2. Often you must rent a low quality over price modem from them.
3. I have never seen Verizon as an option.
4. There are a few that have a SIM only plan, most of the time it’s T-Mobile

The other option is to get an iPad SIM and spoof your way onto the network. But this is getting hard and harder to do.
All the carriers are now starting to offer 4/5G home internet to try to compete with StarLink.

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp
StarLink Map https://satellitemap.space

Maybe you are lucky to have that as an option. If not get on the StarLink waiting list, cost $100.

To get up and running and to verify your setup, I would start with the T-Mobile 100Gig/$50.
I know 100Gig is only 1/10 of your goal of 1TB, but it’s a starting point.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Check and see if you are eligible for t-mobile home internet. If you are not and have T-Mobile signal it is easy to use T-Mobile post pay phone sim.
Can also try AT&T post pay tablet plan and visible are the three that I personally have used.
Lunatic Fringe
Has thanked: 0

Post by Lunatic Fringe »

If you want unlimited Verizon service the best choice is Visible. Not a fly-by-night - 100% owned and operated by Verizon. It's Verizon's test for putting all voice calls through VoIP. Unlimited, uncapped Verizon service for $40/mo. I've been using their sim in my MOFI 4500 for years - works great!

MOFI' scrapped their tried and true firmware for some of their new 5500 routers (EM9191/EM7690). It's obvious they were in a rush to get product out the door because several features are missing or broken in the new firmware. It may be a while before you can use your new router. Hopefully MOFI will figure it out soon.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”