Replacing CPE with modem/router/antenna - Questions

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
mr.rique

Replacing CPE with modem/router/antenna - Questions

Post by mr.rique »

Hello all,

This is my first post on Wireless Joint, please be gentle. ;)

We've owned an externally mounted CPE which we purchased from China and we've had reasonably good luck with it (on AT&T) until this summer. This summer, the modem/router has decided that it really doesn't like heat. We are getting daily outages on hot days (this does not happen on rainy/cloudy days and I can check the temp and yeah... it's hot).

So I've been consulting with a knowledgeable reseller and am just about ready to move my modem/router indoors. After consulting with him and reviewing the reams of good info here (and on The Wireless Haven), I've decided on the following:

Modem: Quectel EM12 - I see it for $170 on The Wireless Haven. Question: Our current unit does well (when it works) locked to B2. Since the EM12 does CA, we'd want to lock to B2+B14. Is that workable with that modem?

Router: WG3526 - I see it for $190 on The Wireless Haven (includes the modem kit). Question: Our house kind of "sprawls", so I've rigged everything up with an Eero (all Eero APs are connected with one another via ethernet). Is there any reason I couldn't install the modem/router upstream and then connect my Eero downstream from that? Also, is there an advantage to using the -P (POE) router?

Cables: From my current CPE, the run is ~ 40 feet. If I take advantage of MiMo, I'd need 40' LMR200 (x2). Question: With that kind of a run, do I need to worry about attenuation? Also, does The Wireless Haven sell LMR200 in 40' runs? I only looked briefly, but couldn't find that length.

Antenna: Here I'm kind of lost. I figure I will need 2x MiMo, but have no idea what to get. I can tell you that the CPE which I would be replacing has twin internal 7db and so I'd sure like to equal or better that. Question: What should I look for? I saw something on The Wireless Haven which looked to be 9-11 db. Also, money is not a constraint, so what better options are out there which I should consider? Also, should I be considering 4x MiMo, rather than 2x?

Other random thoughts / questions: Since AT&T would remain our carrier, are there ways around CGNAT? It annoys me that I can't access my Plex server's music library remotely. Also, maybe DDNS and IPv6 might help to workaround CGNAT issues? If so, is there a cheat sheet explaining how? Also, what OS governs this setup? GoldenOrb, something else?

Thanks for any help and thanks for being patient with me (remember, it's my first time!). Any questions which are off-topic for this forum, please let me know and please disregard. Thanks again!
Didneywhorl

Re: Replacing CPE with modem/router/antenna - Questions

Post by Didneywhorl »

Hey there! Welcome to the forum!
mr.rique wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:20 pm Hello all,

This is my first post on Wireless Joint, please be gentle. ;)

We've owned an externally mounted CPE which we purchased from China and we've had reasonably good luck with it (on AT&T) until this summer. This summer, the modem/router has decided that it really doesn't like heat. We are getting daily outages on hot days (this does not happen on rainy/cloudy days and I can check the temp and yeah... it's hot).

So I've been consulting with a knowledgeable reseller and am just about ready to move my modem/router indoors. After consulting with him and reviewing the reams of good info here (and on The Wireless Haven), I've decided on the following:
Who is this mysterious seller? :)
mr.rique wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:20 pm Modem: Quectel EM12 - I see it for $170 on The Wireless Haven. Question: Our current unit does well (when it works) locked to B2. Since the EM12 does CA, we'd want to lock to B2+B14. Is that workable with that modem?
Yes, though I would first not lock to any bands and see what you get. CA is fully controlled by the tower, and only depends on the modem to be capable on anchoring (main band) to the correct band for its needs. Mostly not much you can do to help or enable it.
mr.rique wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:20 pm Router: WG3526 - I see it for $190 on The Wireless Haven (includes the modem kit). Question: Our house kind of "sprawls", so I've rigged everything up with an Eero (all Eero APs are connected with one another via ethernet). Is there any reason I couldn't install the modem/router upstream and then connect my Eero downstream from that? Also, is there an advantage to using the -P (POE) router?
The WG3526-P from WiFiX is a work horse and has been one of my favorites. The poe part is just a bonus if you ever neeed it, and it doesn't cost much more for it. It is why The Wireless Haven has stopped carrying both and only do the poe version.
mr.rique wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:20 pm Cables: From my current CPE, the run is ~ 40 feet. If I take advantage of MiMo, I'd need 40' LMR200 (x2). Question: With that kind of a run, do I need to worry about attenuation? Also, does The Wireless Haven sell LMR200 in 40' runs? I only looked briefly, but couldn't find that length.
Do NOT use LMR200 over 200 foot. Go with LMR400 at 40'. You will nullify all the gains from any good antenna. Boosters do this all the time, use crap cables of great lengths, but they use amplifiers to make up for it.

LMR200 at 40' when connected to B2 would have 6.5dBi of loss.
LMR400 at 40' when connected to B2 would have 2.6dBi of loss.

https://www.timesmicrowave.com/Calculat ... uency=1900

40' - LMR400
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/cables/antenna- ... -usa-made/

mr.rique wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:20 pm Antenna: Here I'm kind of lost. I figure I will need 2x MiMo, but have no idea what to get. I can tell you that the CPE which I would be replacing has twin internal 7db and so I'd sure like to equal or better that. Question: What should I look for? I saw something on The Wireless Haven which looked to be 9-11 db. Also, money is not a constraint, so what better options are out there which I should consider? Also, should I be considering 4x MiMo, rather than 2x?
I would go with the WiFiX 15dBi 2x2 MIMO flat panel directional antenna. It's badass.
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/cellul ... connector/
mr.rique wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:20 pm Other random thoughts / questions: Since AT&T would remain our carrier, are there ways around CGNAT? It annoys me that I can't access my Plex server's music library remotely. Also, maybe DDNS and IPv6 might help to workaround CGNAT issues? If so, is there a cheat sheet explaining how? Also, what OS governs this setup? GoldenOrb, something else?
VPN.
mr.rique wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:20 pm Thanks for any help and thanks for being patient with me (remember, it's my first time!). Any questions which are off-topic for this forum, please let me know and please disregard. Thanks again!
All good! Again, welcome!
mr.rique

Post by mr.rique »

@Disneywhorl, thanks! About that antenna - currently, we have our CPE which we hope to replace mounted on an extensible telescoping fiberglass pole. It's fairly slim at the top (~ 1/2 - 3/4 inch), which is OK for our small CPE. Given the size and weight of the antenna you recommended, what's the minimal diameter for a pole-mount?

If there's a way I could DM (either here or on Facebook), I have more questions. Please let me know if that's available.

Again, thanks!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

mr.rique wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:36 am @Disneywhorl, thanks! About that antenna - currently, we have our CPE which we hope to replace mounted on an extensible telescoping fiberglass pole. It's fairly slim at the top (~ 1/2 - 3/4 inch), which is OK for our small CPE. Given the size and weight of the antenna you recommended, what's the minimal diameter for a pole-mount?

If there's a way I could DM (either here or on Facebook), I have more questions. Please let me know if that's available.

Again, thanks!
I would say 1" would be the least for strength reasons, but the clamp on that antenna can clamp to zero.

send email to info@thewirelesshaven.com. I can answer you there.
mr.rique

Post by mr.rique »

Thanks, @Disneywhorl. I just sent an Email, much appreciated.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”