Mofi 4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4 V2 vs an LTEfix solution / Goldenorb

Topics related to MoFi branded routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
6ixgun
Has thanked: 0

Mofi 4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4 V2 vs an The Wireless Haven solution / Goldenorb

Post by 6ixgun »

Hey there, new to this forum. I am a routing and network power user - I get this stuff pretty well but I have been **REALLY** struggling to get a Mofi 4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4 to work consistently. I have had multiple calls to Mofi, literally spent 10 hours playing with the setup, etc and I still have rotten performance both on Wifi and Cellular. I do not believe their low-level techs can support the issues I am having, their high level tech (only one) only does email tickets which is useless to me.

Here is what I know:
Modem : Sierra MC7455 (cat 6)
Pointing MIMO antenna on roof (its an RV install), I get 4 bars with my phone, 5 bars with this antenna
No install issues - i.e. no long cables, only what came with ant - this is a very proven combo
Proxicast MIMO Wifi Antenna - mounted mid-ship, same as LTE ant, no long cables.

Cellular signal strength -74dBm
5 bars
Carrier: T-Mobile (fast.t-mobile.com)

Internet connection is unstable - sometimes it works, sometimes it does not mostly the latter
When internet connection is OK, I get 3.5MBS u/d

Same area, on my iPhone, I get 45MBS u/d

I have a genuine T-Mobile SIM, it is registered to a phone #, not just a hotspot , per the advice of MOFI.

Apps on wifi are "snappy" on just about any other network, including my test network in the shop.
Apps "Lag" on this install using the Mofi router. What takes 1/2 second to connect in the shop takes 6 seconds to connect on Mofi router - example - Simarine battery monitor app or Victron charge module apps.

Overall, this has been the most frustrating piece of network gear I've ever purchased and that is putting it politely. There is literally NO documentation on the menus . I'd can it in a second and buy something else if I knew I was not going to have the same issues with another router. I notice there are a lot of other tech savvy users here - is this router even worth trying to use on T-Mobile ?

What if I install GoldenOrb on it ? Can I even do that ? If so - how ?

If that is not an option, or this router is junk - are there any higher end products I could purchase that WILL work on T-Mobile , allow the use of MIMO antennas and run on 12 volts ? i.e. something from The Wireless Haven, Peplink, Cradlepoint, etc ?

Advice is appreciated !
Didneywhorl

Re: Mofi 4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4 V2 vs an The Wireless Haven solution / Goldenorb

Post by Didneywhorl »

Hey there, welcome!

You seem to have your bases covered.

I wont poopoo the MOFI. It's base router is a well established router. It isn't great, but it works.

The MOFI firmware I lack experience with, but honestly I have avoided it because of what EVERYONE says.

You CAN flash Goldenorb firmware and have a bit more control, but you lose the "Band Scan" feature. Kinda cool, kinda useless once you figure out how to use the router and modem. My opinion.

I do have to point out comparing your phone, which is likely an up to date model, to your MOFI4500 SIM4. The SIM4 has a category 6 modem with only 2xCA and 2x2 MIMO capability. Your phone is likely category 16 or better, if not 5GNR capable, with 4x4 MIMO antennas.

Smart Car versus a Tesla. Not a fair comparison.

If you want to try keeping the mofi and their firmware I would say make sure you are using the IPV4 and IPV6 TTL/HL settings BOTH. T-Mobile caps/throttles hotspot use after a set amount, and this may be your issue. MAYBE. I set the TTL and HL at 65 for Tmobile. I made an article on TTL/HL here: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2752

If you want something a little better with more band support for Tmobile, I would go with a new router and modem.

To start off with an improvement over the MOFI: NEXR5GO router.
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/wifix-r ... 8ghz-wifi/

Modem to support much more bands, and support uplink aggregation: Sierra Wireless MC7411
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/sierra-w ... ced-modem/

You can hook your current antennas up to it and power via 12V direct, just like the MOFI.

If you want some more juice out of the modem, like category 12 with 2x2 MIMO then we have other options, but none support B71. That would require some further upgrades to Cat16 or higher and need 4 antennas for the modem.

The NEXR5GO and MC7411 Modem would be just about a drop in upgrade, without dropping a ton of cash. AND you will basically use the same AT commands on the MC7411 as you would the MC7455 you have now. Though AT commands are much easier with the WiFiX/Goldenorb firmware.
6ixgun
Has thanked: 0

Re: Mofi 4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4 V2 vs an The Wireless Haven solution / Goldenorb

Post by 6ixgun »

Great reply - thank you !!

Return to “MoFi Routers”