Netgear MR1100 att firmware to unbranded

Topics related to Routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
bcase7090
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Netgear MR1100 att firmware to unbranded

Post by bcase7090 »

I came across this post on the Netgear site and figured I would share it since this has been something I have been looking to do.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile ... rue#M17374

@Mrblazed wrote:

Download the newest generic firmware from the Netgear support site for your country (the routers country).
https://www.netgear.com/support/product ... 2.06.11.00

Download FDT.exe version 4.6.2.0. (You’ll have to Google)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s27ftyfjpvn9819/fdt.exe?dl=0

Download AC78x Netgear drivers version 4.3.00

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/aircard/AC_790S_Telstra/AC78xSDrivers.exe

Download Putty
https://www.putty.org

1) Put everything in the same folder (ex. C:\Desktop\mr1100 )
2) Install drivers
3) Connect MR1100 directly to computer with USB cable.
There are 2 USB ports on the MR1100. Standard and Micro (micro is same port used for charging the MR1100).
Use of the micro USB port for connecting the MR1100 to your PC.
4) Open putty, telnet into MR1100 ip address (default is 192.168.1.1 which is no secret) with port 5510
Note: normal telnet session prompts for login ID and password. You don't get that here, so just start typing the

following command.
5) AT!BOOTHOLD
Once you type this command, you will get a response back just saying 'OK'. You should also see 'NetGear' boldly

displayed on the MR1100,
and the small status LED will be flashing red.
6) Close Putty
7) Open 'cmd' window, change directory prompt to where you downloaded everything to (ex

C:/Desktop/mr1100). Type ”fdt.exe insertfilename.secc.spk” and hit enter.
fdt.exe NTG9x50C_12.06.11.00.secc.spk
8) Do not touch anything. If the command prompt tells you after “resetting device” that the upgrade failed, ignore it

and let the MR1100 do its thing. The screen on the MR1100 may show its downloading the firmware, and at

some point It may look like it’s frozen, but it should finish and boot by itself after about 10 minutes. Again as

Mrblazed advised, DON'T MESS WITH IT UNTIL COMPLETELY DONE.

9) When its done, the display on the MR1100 should look different, and have status info, usage amount...etc on

the display.

make sure you can page through the different displays on the screen using the 'home' button on the MR1100.

You can also log into the MR1100, and navigate to Settings > Administration > Firmware Update... there you

should see the new firmware version, which also confirms your MR1100 update was successful.

------------------

So after all said and done, I was still having issue with battery charging. The MR1100 would get to about 33% charge and then discontinue with overheat mode. I solved that issue very easily by shutting modem off for a couple of hours. I then tired a different trick by adding a cooling fan from AC Infinity that fits nicely between my router and the MR1100. It now registers a much cooler temp and will charge while the unit is being used. Only $13 on Amazon. Voila!!!
Rich Hathaway

Re: Netgear MR1100 att firmware to unbranded

Post by Rich Hathaway »

If you are using FDT you do not need to send that AT command or do anything with putty at all, just simply remove the battery then hold power and plug the usb in and keep holding power about 8 seconds or until the device goes into Factory download mode then simply execute FDT, also it does not matter with sierra hotspot devices if you interrupt them while they are updating as they are not a live load, if you interrupt them then when you give the device power again it will resume where it left off, I am not saying to do this just stating they are not live loaded when loaded by FDT. If you are loading the ATT firmware back to them do not do that as it is a live load by patched NPRG/ENPRG.
@ bcase7090 You can use this without a battery and that will keep your heat down
bcase7090

Post by bcase7090 »

Thanks Rich, just a heads up, I cross posted this and I do not have a heat problem, I just wanted to share this info because I Googled this a while back because I saw someone offering this a service on ebay. I was unable to find it untill now.
bcase7090

Post by bcase7090 »

@Rich Hathaway, I noticed you officer a wide range of services, it seems like o can not PM you here, what is the best way to contact you?
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

@bcase7090
You can reach me at mifis.us
I cannot send or receive any messages on this site. I have tried to msg mods and admin about it to fix or inquire why but I can not do that either, sorry
edit: Maybe a mod will see this and msg me about it.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Have two of these things. Had them for years at about the same time they both pretty much quite working.
Tried to update software before but says don't need to be updated in the menu.
Would this work to force it to do something maybe?
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

@ gscheb
that depends on what you mean by "pretty much quite working"
If it needs reloaded, FDT can only load from the factory normal or factory dl mode if your device is in QDL mode (9008 or 900E) it would need to be loaded byte by byte with a patched loader. I can load the AT&T firm back to it for you, I made a build and tool for it a few years ago, it can reload and recover dead devices.
or if it does not need reloading firmware and has some other problem tell me what it is, I'll try to help you, I know this device well.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Messaging was turned off due to too many people trying to use the forum, that The Wireless Haven built and maintains, to sell their own products and services to current and potential The Wireless Haven customers.

Many scammers and bookdoor sellers abound in this niche.
msoengineer

Post by msoengineer »

I guess I leapt before I, look, looked and now I have my ATT MR1100 on the unbranded firmware, but I lost my ability to usb tether and possibly ethernet port too... This functionality was working under the ATT firmware. DOH

I found this reddit that says there is no way back now...
shows there are 4 models and two won't support usb tether... what should I do?
Apparently going back to the att firmware is not possible?

The bloody sticker inside doesn't show the actual sku outside 6420B and model MR1100

I appreciate any assistance!

https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/g ... sb_tether/
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Rich is pretty good at the M1 stuff. Hopefully he chimes in.
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

That device can be loaded back to AT&T thru QDL Mode, however there was never any leak of the AT&T firmware.spk (that I know of)
someone on here a few months ago claimed to have it, but never posted any link, I believe them to be mistaken about having it.
You may be able to enable the RNDIS (tether) port on your current platform, I have not tried that on your firm here is how to do it.
So send, calc, and pass the MEP challenge on it then send
AT!UDPID=68E2
That should enable it, if you have to have the AT&T firm reloaded back to it I can help you, I wont post my custom AT&T firmware to the public but I can run it for you on your device.
KEN_Z5

Post by KEN_Z5 »

Rich Hathaway. so how can you help reload the AT&T firmware?
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

KEN_Z5 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:13 am Rich Hathaway. so how can you help reload the AT&T firmware?
I can reload it back to stock AT&T for you.
rickioscock

Post by rickioscock »

Many companies hire software engineers from Ukraine for a variety of reasons. These engineers are well-educated and have a solid background in technology https://mlsdev.com/blog/top-custom-soft ... -companies. The Ukrainian market is one of the largest outsourcing markets in Eastern Europe, with over 200,000 skilled software engineers. While it's easy to find talented, highly-skilled workers in the country, it's not always easy to find them. The country also has a reputation for being a safe and affordable place to work, with a low cost of living.