MOFI5500-5GXeLTE-EM7690-COMBO... Meh....

Topics related to MoFi branded routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
ltegUY
Has thanked: 0

MOFI5500-5GXeLTE-EM7690-COMBO... Meh....

Post by ltegUY »

Like an idiot, I did a pre-order with Mofi which I highly recommend against. Against my better wisdom, I decided to go the easy route and shotgun my purchase without researching. It is a one-man operation. Canadian Nice until you actually need them to act, after they get your money. So first, due to pre-ordering months in advance, the shipping label was misprinted, requiring the sender, MoFi, to confirm to UPS customer service the correct address. Despite being told this would happen, it did not, and the router was in UPS shipping network for a week. I had to physically drive to the UPS distribution center, thankfully within driving distance, to have it physically pulled out of the package stream. My issue wasn't with UPS, it was with the lying to the customer, and blaming: Amazon, big business, UPS, etc by mofi, then basically ghosting me. Not great first impressions. Rant aside, ok these things happen in eCommerce, so whatever.

Comparison:
Quick and dirty. Rural location.

Bought maps from Wireless Joint. Great signal and proper location. Grandfathered VoiceStream plan pre-t-mobile. (the golden goose plan from 1998, yes 1998) true unlimited experience easily 4tb a month without issue (never hit that obviously unless BitTorrent pirate offspring visit)

MoFi 4500 Sim 7 w/GoldenOrb: approx 50Mb down /20Mb up stable. Direct from MoFi. $330.00.

Orbi20 w/Stock + pi-hole: approx 103Mb down/50Mb up stable. Used Amazon Warehouse deal: $279.00 third party shipped 2 days.

MOFI5500-5GXeLTE-EM7690 w/Stock: Approx 50Mb down/20Mb up stable. Direct from MoFi, preorder, 1 month and 1 week with no shipping refund. $600 bucks. 5x Carrier agitation, Sierra Wireless latest generic firmware. Band 66, 71.

I haven't tried GoldenOrb or other firmware on the new router. So far, not really worth it IMHO.

Any thoughts to share? Cool site, and cool forum.
Didneywhorl

Re: MOFI5500-5GXeLTE-EM7690-COMBO... Meh....

Post by Didneywhorl »

Hey welcome to the forum!

I can't stand when people say the mofis are "Enterprise Grade" routers. FML, really? Their webiste still says the routers are cutting edge tech. Thick marketing. Can't blame them, but wow.

I had the same experience with the 5500. Meh. I wont poo poo it. I'll let the others do that. It hasn't launched well so far. Maybe they'll pull an Ace out of their sleeves someday with the EM919x version.

Personally, I prefer to build much better devices for less. thewirelesshaven.com can provide all I need. :) #advertisement ;)

I've not yet played with the Orbi devices. We have a great thread on modding it on this forum under routers I believe.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Have had issues with mofi customer service. Basically string you along till you can't refund your credit card.
Even if they had the best products in the world still wouldn't mess with them. They are literally the worst company have ever dealt with.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Pre-Ordering a beta MoFi, what could go wrong :roll:
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

lol, not everyone knows.

Return to “MoFi Routers”