5G Modems Quectel, Sierra, and Telit.

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Alberteezy21

5G Modems Quectel, Sierra, and Telit.

Post by Alberteezy21 »

So it's been well documented that the Quectel 5G modems are the easiest to get and that are nearly plug and play. Has there been any advancements on the Sierra EM9190 & Telit FN980 for Rooter or even on cradlepoints support? Cradlepoint since those are the modem suppliers Cradlepoint uses. I've heard of only 1 successful case for each.
Didneywhorl

Re: 5G Modems Quectel, Sierra, and Telit.

Post by Didneywhorl »

I've got the Sierra 9190 working in rooter, plug n play with no settings changes needed in rooter. In a NEXR5GO and WG1608D-M.

The problem there is getting the modem to be recognize. Takes modifying adapters. The Telit is priced not far from the Quectels, but the Sierra cards are REDICULOUSLY priced.

I don't think Cradlepoint supports anything but Telit and Sierra. But the older Cradlepoints don't support MBIM, and the new 5G Sierras are MBIM only. I couldn't get the EM9190 to recognize in the CBA850. No MBIM drivers I believe.
Alberteezy21

Post by Alberteezy21 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:57 pm The Telit is priced not far from the Quectels, but the Sierra cards are REDICULOUSLY priced.
Any chance The Wireless Haven will get ahold of some Telit 5G modules?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

It might be a bit. Telit decided to make their 5G modules a different length than everyone else, so there is literally zero devices that can hold it down properly. We'll have to see what manufacturers do.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:12 am It might be a bit. Telit decided to make their 5G modules a different length than everyone else, so there is literally zero devices that can hold it down properly. We'll have to see what manufacturers do.

Say hello to Duct-tape! lol
Kidding aside, I've been using a small piece of thick insulation foam (used for windows and trucks) stuck on both the bottom and top of the modem pushed down by the top of the router's housing. Then used a bit of transparent tape to hold it snug to the connector. It's just a temporary solution for quick testing, but one could probably devise something more permanent.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

A 3D printed solution is probably the best way right now.
I made something similar when the WG1608s I had only had the peg for the long 5G modems, but nothing for 4G modems.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”