Random Reboots with WG3526

Topics related to ZBT Routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
luigiman
Has thanked: 0

Random Reboots with WG3526

Post by luigiman »

I'm running a WG3526(running GoldenOrb_2019-01-13) with an EM7565 inside, and I've been noticing the router restarting it's self at times. It's believe it's more common when it's under a lot of traffic, but not always. I've moved the system log to a mounted usb drive to persist it, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.
swwifty

Re: Random Reboots with WG3526

Post by swwifty »

is your power supply providing enough power? Wondering if that EM7576 is causing load issues when you have high throughput.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

If you Enable Connection Logging for the modem, it may tell you a little more.

Enable Connection Logging.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
luigiman

Post by luigiman »

@swwifty - How would I go about checking something like that? I'm using the stock power adapter that came with it at the moment.

@JimHelms - Thanks, I just enabled it so I'll see if I find anything new in the logs next time I see it reboot.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

luigiman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:40 pm @swwifty - How would I go about checking something like that? I'm using the stock power adapter that came with it at the moment.

@JimHelms - Thanks, I just enabled it so I'll see if I find anything new in the logs next time I see it reboot.
You would need some kind of multimeter, and something in between the outlet and the device to allow you to read it.

They do make devices that allow you to read how much power a device is using.

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electri ... B00009MDBU
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

You might also be able to use an USB voltage tester

Might look at one of the cheaper models that measures both voltage and amp.
luigiman

Post by luigiman »

I haven't had a chance to buy any of the testing tools, but I believe you guys were spot on about the power usage. I followed some advice in another thread about the 2.4 GHz band dropping out, I lowered the transmit power(I had it set at 30 for some reason, can't remember why), and I've only had one reboot when I wasn't home(could have just been a power outage, I don't have it plugged into a UPS). And I'm at 7 days so far.
G8351427
Been thanked: 0

Post by G8351427 »

I am also having this problem. Actually...I have had a lot of problems with this router, but this one (I hope) is the only one left. I have an MC7455 and a 128GB SATA SSD installed (which isn't doing anything at the moment). So my power usage may be high. Is the 2.5A adapter enough? I lowered the 2Ghz signal by half to try and compensate, but without change.

Mine reboots sometime around 3-4am based on the uptime counter. I have no idea what is causing this, but it has been a problem for the entire year I have had it; I just didn't realize what was happening.

I recently updated to GO2019-03-10 from the GO2019-03-06 version that The Wireless Haven is providing because I was having issues with the WiFi disappearing (crashing?) for minutes at a time, lost connectivity over WiFI but not ethernet and not losing the WiFi signal, and inability to get failover working (which may have been user error; the documentation is hard to follow). Anyway, the point is that I installed the newest version available due to all those problems.

The logs seem to be purged every time the router reboots (same with the network transfer logs from the nlbwmon module) so I don't know how to troubleshoot this.

Any thoughts?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Are you using Connection Monitor. It is possible the carrier is booting you off the network. It is not uncommon when a device is idle.
G8351427

Post by G8351427 »

Yes; but with no action.

I thought that was necessary for failover to work.

Also, I don't quite understand what the "internal ping script" you mentioned in another thread does, how it works, or how to manage or disable it.

Edit: I changed the system logging to that SSD that I installed so that it wouldn't be deleted after a reboot and found this:

Code: Select all

Thu Jun  6 03:01:10 2019 kern.emerg kernel: [35791.705323] reboot: Restarting system
Everything else preceding that one looks like normal events, so nothing stands out as a cause. I've also disabled connection monitoring.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

You cannot use connection manager with failover or loadbalancing as it has its own. There is a discussion on this forum somewhere about this topic.
G8351427

Post by G8351427 »

Sorry, Jim. Your reply to my last went to the next page, so I did not notice that you responded and I had added some additional details to my post. Here are those updates:

I changed the system logging to that SSD that I installed so that it wouldn't be deleted after a reboot and found this:

Code: Select all

Thu Jun  6 03:01:10 2019 kern.emerg kernel: [35791.705323] reboot: Restarting system
Everything else preceding that one looks like normal events, so nothing stands out as a cause. I've also disabled connection monitoring.

It looks like a reboot was done by the router, but where can I find the log message that indicates which service initiated it?

Return to “ZBT Routers”