Verizon 5G Internet Gateway External Antnna or Signal Booster?

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
HicSvntDracones
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Verizon 5G Internet Gateway External Antnna or Signal Booster?

Post by HicSvntDracones »

I desperately needed to upgrade my internet, which was a 2mbs ATT DSL line, and was the only service available until Verizon popped up with 5G service. I ordered the 5G home internet service, but the 5G antenna is outside the front of my apartment building, and I am at the ack, so a block away. The 5G gateway does have LTE backup, which would be great, except I usually get no signal in my apartment, have never had a phone work inside. The service is fine everywhere else though. After setting up the 5G gateway, I do actually get 3 bars of LTE and about 25-30 mb/s up and down of service. If I Take my gateway to a friends apartment about 5 units down, I got nearly 300 mb/s and maybe 150 up. I haven't gotten the chance to hook it up with direct visual to the 5G tower outside the building to test 5G speeds.

So, here is my question... I had opened the gateway after getting it and having registration issues, to check to be sure the antennas were all connected and SIM was correct. It has easily accessible antennas inside just by removing the top panel, held on by clips, except for 5G, those seem to be on the other side, or rather underneath the unit when laying it down, so requires fully dismantling it. Can I get any LTE mimo external antenna to use indoors with it? I had considered a Signal booster since my service is soo bad inside, I can't even use my cell phone in my apartment, but since I just use my phone on wifi and wifi voice when I am inside, boosting my gateway would work just as well. I can't install anything externally unfortunately. My studio is under 400 sq. ft (San Francisco) So most signal boosters would be overkill.

I was also curious if 5G boosters even exist? Verizon had said something about 5G not requiring line of sight anymore, doesn't affect me yet. But just curious. I am paying for uo to 1 gbps of service, so while I'd usually be ecstatic with 25 mbps, I feel a bit cheated :) Granted, the fact that I DO get up to 30 mbps when both a TMobile and AT&T pixel 4A and Pixel 5G have literally 0 signal is fairly imnpressive, but I want MORE.
Didneywhorl

Re: Verizon 5G Internet Gateway External Antnna or Signal Booster?

Post by Didneywhorl »

Hey there. Can you post pics of the insides and possible antenna connection ports?

Ive never seen. If the antennas can be disconnected ( not soldered on ) then you definately can put on external antennas pretty easily.
Adm1jtg

Re: Verizon 5G Internet Gateway External Antnna or Signal Booster?

Post by Adm1jtg »

Have you tried moving the gateway around your apartment, mayybe closer to w window?

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”