Please Help A Newby Build A Cell Router

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Cerdusy
Has thanked: 0

Please Help A Newby Build A Cell Router

Post by Cerdusy »

So I'm new to all this and am wanting to build a cell router after watching this one guy on Youtube build one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJco5oX7vk8)and I'm wanting to use the Visible Carrier but I'm a little hesitant on what to buy and how to make the Visible SIM card work with the router and if it would even work.

I've heard Visible can detect if your using the SIM card in a phone or in a cell router through the imei number and was wondering if I could change the imei number in a custom-built router to trick the carrier so they don't deactivate my service?
Also, I've heard they have a 5Mbps limit and was wondering if there is a way to bypass that?

In short, I just want to see if these two questions can be answered and what router, modem, and components should I get to be able to use Visible properly at its max and be undetected.
Didneywhorl

Re: Please Help A Newby Build A Cell Router

Post by Didneywhorl »

I would get thewirelesshaven.com s WiFiX WG3526-P with the EM12G modem. They have a sku that comes with all the parts to use the em-12 M.2 modem. Just add the modem.

Works with Visible, TTL mods can bypass the 5Mbps throttle, easy imei stuff, all works all tested.

I can list all the parts you need with links if you like.

We can help you build it and all.
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

Yes please that would help Immensely!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-rou ... parts-kit/

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/quectel- ... 2-modem-2/

I would also go with at least a 4A power supply upgrade:
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/power-adapter/1 ... 2-1mm-tip/

That's all you need. We can guide you on the build, or it can be built for you if you like.

If you also need an outdoor antenna setup, tell me about your location (trees, hills, mountains, valleys, buildings, population density, distance to cell towers, obstructions between your roof and the towers, etc)
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

Will this modem be able to connect all 6 of the antennas that are capable on the router? It says in the picture that the antennas are not included so would I need to even buy the Pigtail Cables? I'm living within the city of Spokane, WA so I'm sure I don't have to worry about antennas all too much since I figured the signal strength should be strong enough?
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

it shows 6 antennas but 4 of them are used for wifi.
Only 2 actually have to do with the cell signal.
Also I wouldnt assume anything about your signal. Most people walk around with a cell phone and look at the signal strength and where it is strongest before even ordering equipement as how good or bad that signal is might change what equipment (antennas) you buy
Lastly you really need to check signal at different times of day as some people in populated areas hit some pretty severe slowdowns due to congestion.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Cerdusy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:11 pm Will this modem be able to connect all 6 of the antennas that are capable on the router? It says in the picture that the antennas are not included so would I need to even buy the Pigtail Cables? I'm living within the city of Spokane, WA so I'm sure I don't have to worry about antennas all too much since I figured the signal strength should be strong enough?
It comes with standard antennas, that are shown in the pictures. 4 are for wifi (2 for 2.4Ghz and 2 for 5.8Ghz), and 2 are for LTE (700-2700Mhz).

You have to buy the pigtail cables that are MHF4 as the antenna cables inside the router are UFL but you need MHF4 because the EM12G uses MHF$ connectors. The antennas that come with the router will work with the MHF4 pigtails.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

Thats why i have been recommending ep06-a :) no pigtail change needed and a really buget friendly choice.

Just my 2 cents
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

That or the Sierra MC7411. Category 7 modem.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/sierra-w ... ced-modem/

Drops right into the stock WiFiX WG3526-P without needing anything else.

I recommend cat12 modems though, for the capability.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

well you have to remember at least in my specific case and many others I see like me getting 30 meg down on a really good day is the norm. In those cases does cat# really matter so long as you have the correct band support?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Adm1jtg wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:37 pm well you have to remember at least in my specific case and many others I see like me getting 30 meg down on a really good day is the norm. In those cases does cat# really matter so long as you have the correct band support?

It can matter, but I agree that its not an end all, be all.

Band support is obviously first, but in many cases that is not static. You may have only X band and Y band today, then in a month X band is decommissioned and Z Band and A Band are added. This happens a LOT, but not to everyone, everywhere.
Higher category modems typically support more bands, thereby covering more peoples needs in one recommendation, and category 12 is about where modems started supporting a lot more bands in one modem.
It is also the most popular level modem that is capable of more than 100Mbps.

"I can only get 15Mbps on a good day! I don't need that much modem!"... is fine, but if band support was all you needed we would all mostly still be using category 3 and 4 modems. And you would have to buy a different modem depending on which provider you wanted, or change modems if you change providers.

Now category 16 and above, with 4x4 MIMO, then we are talking about want versus need on a larger scale.

To be honest, the BEST path is to go to the site/home with all levels of modems and antennas and test the most optimal system, but that isn't an option for the regular consumer.
So, recommending a good middle ground for most people is the best way I can help the most people.

Instead of recommending: 'Go cheaper, you probably wont need anything better anyway!' Then I get the inevitable, 'Why is it so slow? My phone can do XXX Mbps!'

I see this ALLLLLL the time.

And personally I don't have time to ask every person that asks for recommendations for their whole location info and internet needs, and devices, etc, etc.

So .... cat 12! :)
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

Sorry for the late reply but I finally got around to buying the Equipment and connected the modum and the router and I'm trying to get access to the Admin log in page and I see that I can connect to the Wi-FiX But it's locked and I need a security key and I'm not sure what to put in there to connect to it to get to the admin page?
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

I believe the login id is admin ad the password admin as well
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

No that's not it. I'm trying to get to the admin page but it won't work. I typed in the 192.168.1.1 in but it says page can not be reached because I'm assuming I can't connect to the wifix. When I try to connect to the wifix that pops up when I plug in my router it asks me to type in the network security key which is the password to connect to a wifi and I'm not sure what to type in there to be able to connect to the wifi to access the admin page. Is there another way to get access to the admin page through ethernet?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Cerdusy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:40 pm No that's not it. I'm trying to get to the admin page but it won't work. I typed in the 192.168.1.1 in but it says page can not be reached because I'm assuming I can't connect to the wifix. When I try to connect to the wifix that pops up when I plug in my router it asks me to type in the network security key which is the password to connect to a wifi and I'm not sure what to type in there to be able to connect to the wifi to access the admin page. Is there another way to get access to the admin page through ethernet?
Connect by Ethernet. Put in the ip address 192.168.1.1. Hit Ctrl and F5 to clear the cache. If that don't work and see if you are getting the not trusted site message. If so click on the advance or what ever it is and proceed anyway. Let us know if that works.
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

So I connected the ethernet cable to the Lan 1 port on the router and connected it to the back of my PC and tried to connect to the internet but it's saying "unidentified network no internet connection" still tried to go to the 192.168.1.1. And still nothing. Could it be the SIM card?
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

you may need to set a static ip address on your computer, something like 192.168.1.100
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

Not sure how to do that. This is what shows up when I connect my router into a power outlet and I can't figure out the password and I've tried all the ones on the back on the router and don't know how to connect to it still :| how would I go about doing the static thing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Try this below.

WiFiX Router Firmware

The WiFiX login information:
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
User: root
Password: No password used
WiFi SSID: WiFiX
WiFi Password: 12345678
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

That did it! :D now how do I go about getting the Visible SIM card to work? I'm able to connect and reach the admin page but I don't have access to the internet yet.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

On the left click on modem and choose connection profile
In the APN field type in VSBLINTERNET
then go to network and firewall and across the top pick custom ttl settings
change ttl value to 64.

That should get you basic imternet.

Once all that is working you need to start doing speedtests and gathering lots of information so you can tweak your setup to be the best possible.
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

So I did all what you said to do but I'm still not getting any internet? Do I need to do something else after saving and applying?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

What modem did you end up getting?
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

The Quectel EM12-G CAT12 M.2 Modem
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Follow this step by step exactly and get back and let us know if it works out for you.

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32 ... 630#p18630
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

gscheb has you covered there.
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

So I followed the steps but when I got to the at+cgdcont? Part it shows three lines that looked different then what was showed on the guide. Didn't think much of it so I continued the steps and tried typing the

AT+CGDCONT=1,"IPV4V6","vsblinternet"

AT+CGDCONT=2,"IPV4V6","vsblinternet"

AT+CGDCONT=3,"IPV4V6","vsblinternet"

commands and got all errors but kept on with inputting the other commands then once completing the steps still no internet and so I went to input the at+cgdcont? Again to maybe fix a mistake I did and now it's only showing one line? I'm guessing I should have stopped after the three lines didn't match up... :|
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello again,

This tutorial has to be followed exactly to work. Allot of times I will get a different internet source and load the tutorial page on my computer screen. Then once no longer have internet as long as you don't refresh that window it will stay there.
Then disconnect that internet connection and hook up router. Then can flip back and fourth and copy and paste text from one window to another window. Allot of times even use different browsers for this. Like one one in chrome and the other in internet explorer.

So looking at your command below looks like you might have used a colon instead of a equals sign.
When you do these commands should always see ok not error.
Wrong Command.PNG
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

Ok so I followed the guide to a tee this time and every command come back as OK but still no internet 🙁 then I went to reboot to see if I needed to do that in order for it to start working but I was left with "device unreachable" and it never was able to reach even after like 30 minutes of waiting. Could that be a potential issue there for not being able to receive internet?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Let it power down for a while. Then power back up qnd boot until the lights start flashing again.

Then check your pc ethernet status and make sure the router is assigning your pc an ip address.

If it is, and identifies its own IP address, then you SHOULD be able to log back into it.
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

So pretty sure I checked the right place and it looks like the router is giving my PC an ip address. And still no internet... 😐
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

whats your modem status page look like. Is it stuck in like a connecting state?
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

Yes looks like it. And everything from the modem IMEI is all blank.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

Ok i know you have done some of these commands before but this is a start to finish step by step that I have seen work in another thread for another visible user with the same symptoms you have.

First enter the APN in the Modem menu->Connection profile as:
vsblinternet
Make sure nothing else is there. No password, no authentication type, no username.

click the Save and Apply button at the bottom of the screen.

Then

Go to the Sytem -> system menu and sync your time with your browser and set the time zone. Click the Save and Apply button when done there.

Then...

Run these commands on the AT Command terminal under the menu: Modem->Miscellaneous
CODE: SELECT ALL
AT+CGDCONT=2,"IPV4V6","vsblinternet"
then
AT+CGDCONT=3,"IPV4V6","vsblinternet"
then
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IPV4V6","vsblinternet"
If that one "errors" dont worry.

Then run:
AT+QMBNCFG="AutoSel",0
then
AT+QMBNCFG="Deactivate"
then
AT+QCFG="usbnet",2
then
AT+CFUN=1,1

..then wait for the modem to disappear and then come back. Then reboot the router itself.

Wait for a few minutes for full boot and see what happens. :)

Let us know

Link to original thread:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10 ... 6&start=10
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

If your sim is in unknown state it's not going to connect. It's not reading your sim at all.

You can't do anything else until it sees your SIM.
Make sure its seated properly in the sim slot on the side of the router. And in the sim adapter if your using one.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

my bad I should have put the no sim imei and it being a sim recognition failure together
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

Alright, so after popping the SIM card out to check to see if it was in correctly I noticed these streaks acrossed the SIM and SIM card adapter so I put it back in my phone and the SIM card is not reading either so something inside the SIM card slot on the router is causing these streaks and ruined my SIM... I just got done sending them an email at info@thewirelesshaven.com to return this one and get a replacement. So annoyed right now not gonna lie 😠
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Cerdusy wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:14 pm ..
Streaks are normal. I've got some SIMs that are WAY worse! They work still. Its not the SIM slot. If you look inside they have pins that stick up and slide across the surface of the SIM card, and adapter, when you put the card in and take it out.

Here is a slot that is opened up to see what I mean:
simslotside.png
simslottop.png
I HAVE seen the SIM card just straight up die for no reason.

There are posts on here of the same thing. I'll try and look for some...
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

If you can get that SIM to read, maybe get a new one at the worst, and still can't get connected, I'll remote in if you want and try to work it out for you.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Have had resellers sims go out allot. Yes streaks are totally normal.
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

Yeah you guys are right. I have an AT&T SIM for my phone and swaped them out and changed the settings on the admin page for AT&T and low and behold internet! So the router wasn't the cause of my Visible SIM card going bad (as far as I know) but it is bad non the less because it's not working on any device so I'm just going to have to try to get a new Visible SIM or have them fix the issue and try again I guess 😅 thanks for the help guys, I'll keep you posted when I can get it fixed or get a new card.
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

Alright so got the new SIM and redid the whole setup and got it all working finally! Now how would I go about getting past Visibles 5MB download cap?
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Verizon's New Mobile Hotspot Plans - 150GB Premium Option for $80/mo

See Link.
https://youtu.be/XIfGYeB2O6E
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Cerdusy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:40 pm Alright so got the new SIM and redid the whole setup and got it all working finally! Now how would I go about getting past Visibles 5MB download cap?
Good!
Did you do this here below in the steps to set it up?

copy and past this shown below in to custom rules
Tab to the left of custom TTL settings called custom rules.

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#end TTL rules
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

Yep! Copy, pasted and saved it 👍
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

And it is being throttled?
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

Yeah it's being throttled right now as I'm trying to download a game. Won't go past 5MB
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

time for a vpn
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Adm1jtg wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:23 pmtime for a vpn
It
MAY
help :geek:

See link

https://vpnpick.com/does-a-vpn-use-data
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

Well I got a VPN. I use Surfshark. Do I need to set anything up or could I just turn on the VPN and be able to bypass the cap?
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:14 pm It help :geek:

See link

https://vpnpick.com/does-a-vpn-use-data
I was just going by what gscheb said in another thead, that he was able to get it bypassed using a vpn, his firewall rules and a ttl of i think it was 88
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Cerdusy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:21 pm Yeah it's being throttled right now as I'm trying to download a game. Won't go past 5MB
Well I have been throttled on my tethered phone. But haven't checked a sim in router yet. So Drove over to my uncle's house. And yep he is being throttled too!
So on my tethered phone I changed those values to like 66 or higher. Been using 88 just because. So please give a try and let us know how it works. Set it to 88 for all those lines and use VPN on client device. (the device receiving WiFi)
This works in on tethered phone but untested on a router as of now. On my tethered phone setup even cloudflare warp free one even works.
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

Do you mean change these lines to 66 and 88? A little confused on what I need to change 😅

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#end TTL rules
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

From what I seen on tethered phone set up it takes a TTL 66 or higher. Been just using 88 just because. But haven't tried on a modem yet though. Need someone to test that out please. Try this below and put VPN on client device. (item using wifi)
Like said before free warp cloudflare works.

Code: Select all

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 88
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 88
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 88
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 88
#end TTL rules
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

Didn't work on my end when I put it in unfortunately.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Cerdusy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:16 pm Didn't work on my end when I put it in unfortunately.
Used a vpn as well?
Cerdusy

Post by Cerdusy »

Yeah and it still didn't work.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Could play around with different value of TTL. Try to find it.

Return to “General and Unclassified”