Best Plan for Vehicle Router?

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
axel1
Been thanked: 0

Best Plan for Vehicle Router?

Post by axel1 »

Hi all,

I've got a Sierra GX450 vehicle modem installed in my truck right now. It's a compact router/modem combo with an MC7354 inside. I'm currently running on US Mobile's GSM network, but I'm looking to switch to a better carrier as a) using anything other than phones on their network is technically forbidden, and b) their GSM network (T-mobile?) just doesn't have the reliability, coverage, or speeds I'm looking for. I drive all around the Midwest and frequently encounter dead zones even on a high-gain rooftop antenna where my phone (on AT&T) is rock solid from inside the vehicle.

I was considering the $20 AT&T ipad plan, but as far as I can tell getting the MC7354 to have an "identity crisis" to work on that plan isn't possible like it is on some other Sierra modems. So that leaves me searching for other data-only plans that don't care as much about what device is being used.

Curious to hear some suggestions on other providers, preferably on an AT&T or Verizon network. My data usage isn't much in the truck, never going much over 6GB per month, but my main requirement is keeping the price low. $20/mo or around there is the goal.

Thanks in advance!
Didneywhorl

Re: Best Plan for Vehicle Router?

Post by Didneywhorl »

Currently my post paid ipad plan doesn't need an ID crisis.

Visible is the trick for now if you cant change the imei.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

Didneywhorl wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:55 pm Currently my post paid ipad plan doesn't need an ID crisis.

Visible is the trick for now if you cant change the imei.
Agreed I used visible with no issues for a month before I found the IMEI trick
axel1
Been thanked: 0

Post by axel1 »

I'm giving the AT&T $35 15GB plan a shot, for this month at least, to see how it performs and to get some data on coverage and speeds.

If it ends up being way better, I may reconsider the Ipad unlimited plan trick. As it turns out, the MC7354 inside the GX450 is actually included in the list of cards that have "freedom" with their IMEI.

I've heard plenty of negative reports from people using Visible, so I'm hesitant to give them a shot.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

$40 bucks a month and cancel if you dont like. Just have them set you up with a new number to start with and no harm no foul if you hate it,
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

For Visible I pay $5 a month, referrals: Code: 3dnnsp ;)

Goes from $40 to $25, immediately, if you join the The Wireless Haven party pay: https://visible.com/p/thewirelesshavenparty

Return to “Internet Service Providers”