T-Mobile Magenta Max still throttling Netflix and Youtube

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
mtnchar
Has thanked: 0

T-Mobile Magenta Max still throttling Netflix and Youtube

Post by mtnchar »

I thought I would give T-Mobile a try in my location. Subscribed to the Magenta Max plan that is supposed to allow streaming up to 4k and no throttling on video.

Appears T-Mobile still isn't honest about their throttling or network congestion. WeHe on my phone shows they still throttle some streaming services.

For a $90/month plan this seems to me to be unacceptable when they are bragging about HD streaming.. At least Verizon's $90/month plan is up front about throttling to 720p or less. Oddly, T-Mobile don't seem to throttle Disney or Hulu which I don't watch anyway.

Typically when Netflix streams through ATT it will burst up to 20mb/s for 30-60 sec then drop down to to a trickle for 1-2 minutes then cycle again to 20mb/s, this actually gives a very nice stable 1080p stream. T-Mobile is making Netflix poke along typically under 2mb/s causing the resolution to keep shifting which is annoying to watch.

My T-Mobile connection is not 5g (nor is my ATT connection), both are 4G LTE usually using Band 2 or Band 66 with fair signal strength. Apparently T-Mobile isn't using their 600mhz b71 band here either both the iphone and 4g modem i have can use this band but its not showing up.

I am not sure if those that have access to 5g on t-mobile might have better luck. I am in a very rural area. At least when ATT says their not throttling Netflix, it appears they are telling the truth for the most part except for occasional congestion.

With the Magenta Max plan there is no option to enable HD streaming, it is supposed to be included with the plan. On ATT you do have to activate HD streaming but the option does work.

I had hopes that T-Mobile would be a good alternative, but at least for now it is not delivering as promised.
file.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr-BroadBand

Re: T-Mobile Magenta Max still throttling Netflix and Youtube

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Thanks for Sharing how did you run this test?? Is there an app for that ?
mtnchar
Has thanked: 0

Post by mtnchar »

There is an app called WeHe in the android/ios stores that does this check on your phone through its current connection (Wifi, Cellular). I fell for T-mobile's usual hype.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello
Don't have magenta max now. But when did never had issue with streaming. Only tested it on fast.com. always had no throttle on it. Got rid of it because have tmobile home ISP now.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Just ran this test on tmobile home ISP
Screenshot_20210620-132554_Wehe.jpg
It shows slower. Never had issue with any video. Fast.com shows 88 down just now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

See link about speed testing

https://youtu.be/ntxkt_5-jTQ
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The FCC also has a speedtest app for phones only. Has anyone used it?

Return to “Internet Service Providers”