MoFi 4500 Wifi Very Slow

Topics related to MoFi branded routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
feudalkaos

MoFi 4500 Wifi Very Slow

Post by feudalkaos »

I have a MoFi 4500 V2 with the latest firmware installed. I have not been getting very good download speeds when connected to it and I am always on Wifi so I thought I would try connecting directly via Ethernet.

I found that when my laptop is connected directly to the Ethernet port I get download speeds of +60Mbps. When I connect to the MoFi Wifi, I am seeing download speeds of between 0.5 and 2Mbps. This is a huge difference and not at all what I was expecting. I would think maybe 15% loss over Wifi.

To be 100% sure this is an issue with the Mofi Wifi, I connected a Linksys wireless router to the Mofi. With this configuration (Laptop --Wifi--> Linksys EA3500 --Ethernet--> Mofi --4gLTE -->) I was able to see +40Mbps downloads. This seems like a normal percentage drop between Wifi and Ethernet.

I have looked over the Wifi settings on the Mofi and nothing seems odd. When my laptop is connected to the Mofi Wifi it shows a 150Mbps connection so I do not think this is the limitation.

Any suggestions for how to get this Mofi Wifi to work at a faster speed?
gscheb

Re: MoFi 4500 Wifi Very Slow

Post by gscheb »

Don't know if you can fix it. The WE826-T2 router is famous for bad WiFi results. For years have been using secondary router like you are talking about. With 5ghz router connected to them been able to get about the same as Ethernet connection.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

There is a WiFi power level setting on the MoFi, is it set to 100%??
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

Had the same issue when using a wg3526. Connected a secondary router via ethernet and let it do all the dhcp and wireless requests and like you I saw a big increase overall speeds. Since the secondary router only cost me $40 I honestly never looked back and am still running that config today.

The only downside to this config is that in your case your ethernet ports are ONLY 10/100. Mine are gigabit ports.
feudalkaos

Post by feudalkaos »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:37 am There is a WiFi power level setting on the MoFi, is it set to 100%??
I have tried setting it to various different values from 100% down to 50%. I have also had my laptop only a few feet from the Mofi.
Adm1jtg wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:42 pm Had the same issue when using a wg3526. Connected a secondary router via ethernet and let it do all the dhcp and wireless requests and like you I saw a big increase overall speeds. Since the secondary router only cost me $40 I honestly never looked back and am still running that config today.

The only downside to this config is that in your case your ethernet ports are ONLY 10/100. Mine are gigabit ports.
I have been thinking this may be my end solution also however I have a power limitation I am trying to deal with. This whole system is on a boat and so power usage is very limited. Having both routers consume power isn't ideal.

I installed GoldenOrb on the Linksys EA3500 secondary router and tried connecting my USB Cellular modem to it. It is able to connect just fine but is very slow. I can only get the modem to work in MBIM mode. When I change to QMI mode it doesnt connect to GoldenOrb for some reason. The kernel can see the device and loads the right drives but GoldenOrb shows no device connected.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

A dedicated wifi AP, like the ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE-US, only uses max 20W during full load. Might not be as cheap, but the wifi throughput is top notch.

I use dedicated access points for my wifi. WAY simpler, and no dual router NAT to turn off and deal with.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:37 pm A dedicated wifi AP, like the ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE-US, only uses max 20W during full load. Might not be as cheap, but the wifi throughput is top notch.

I use dedicated access points for my wifi. WAY simpler, and no dual router NAT to turn off and deal with.
That works too. I think mine is 18w based on the wall worts rating 12v 1.5A and the 3526 again based on wall wort 12v 2A is about 24 watts. Keep in mind these would be absolute MAX power in both instances and the if your router is no longer running any wifi (I actually disabled mine) then the power will be less then max, obviously.

Return to “MoFi Routers”