WE826 Versions? (What Chipset used?)

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
trhendr
Been thanked: 0

WE826 Versions? (What Chipset used?)

Post by trhendr »

Are the different versions of WE826 actually different chipsets? WE826-T2 WE826-Q WE826-M, etc.?

I thought some of them were MT7620, but now I'm wondering if some of the versions are actually not MT7620 chipsets.

Thanks!
Didneywhorl

Re: WE826 Versions? (What Chipset used?)

Post by Didneywhorl »

I think the SOC is the same, but the T2 and Q use different wifi chipsets.
trhendr

Post by trhendr »

OK - somewhere I've now read one is a Mediatek Mt7620 and the other is a Qualcomm chipset. Wasn't aware it was the wifi parts. What I've been trying to figure out is what makes Mofi4500 different from WE826-T2, WE826-Q, WE826-M, and NEXQ6GO routers. I have two Mofi4500's, two NEXQ6GO, a WE3625 and a WE826-T2. Some will take some firmware, others will take some. But none will take the Mofi Firmware except the Mofi devices. Here is a quote from a ITEHacks post " The NEXQ6GO-M uses the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9533 v2 where the WE826-T2 uses the MediaTek MT7620A chip. " - this to suggests it is the actual cpu chipset that is different. I could not identify which chipset the Mofi is using. I would love to know what the timeline for development the different products were created, and which of the chipsets is best. I would also like to know what the differences are on the Mofi boards - they have custom printing on them, and I'm thinking they must have a larger flash and memory space, but can't confirm that.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

I read somewhere a ways back that the mofi firmware will ONLY work with modems that were made specifically for mofi... aka they have to have a specific serial number range that somehow matches something like a whitelist.

Said another way if you dont have a modem card specifically made for mofi it wont work even though the modem model may be exactly the same. They may also somehow check the router revision as well, not sure on that part.

I believe cradlepoint does the samesort of thing so even if you have the exact same modem hardware you cant use it
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

trhendr wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:24 pm OK - somewhere I've now read one is a Mediatek Mt7620 and the other is a Qualcomm chipset. Wasn't aware it was the wifi parts. What I've been trying to figure out is what makes Mofi4500 different from WE826-T2, WE826-Q, WE826-M, and NEXQ6GO routers. I have two Mofi4500's, two NEXQ6GO, a WE3625 and a WE826-T2. Some will take some firmware, others will take some. But none will take the Mofi Firmware except the Mofi devices. Here is a quote from a ITEHacks post " The NEXQ6GO-M uses the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9533 v2 where the WE826-T2 uses the MediaTek MT7620A chip. " - this to suggests it is the actual cpu chipset that is different. I could not identify which chipset the Mofi is using. I would love to know what the timeline for development the different products were created, and which of the chipsets is best. I would also like to know what the differences are on the Mofi boards - they have custom printing on them, and I'm thinking they must have a larger flash and memory space, but can't confirm that.
MOFI firmware can be flashed on the T2, and T2 firmware can be flashed on the mofi. The MOFI4500 is a WE826T2. The SIM8 V3 MIGHT be a WE826Q, but Im not sure, as MOFI never updated their FCC-ID, so it may still be a T2.

The WE826T2 was out first, then later came the WE826Q. The NEXQ6GO is a version of the Q that can use the same firmware as the Q.

The reason most can't flash it is because they have a special MAC address that the firmware checks for. That's it. Match the MAC address to their special MAC addresses and you can flash it to MOFI.

You can see the chipsets in the very beginning of the kernel log, or system log. ( Can't remember which right now)
trhendr

Post by trhendr »

The reason most can't flash it is because they have a special MAC address that the firmware checks for. That's it. Match the MAC address to their special MAC addresses and you can flash it to MOFI.
Is it possible in the WE826's to change the stored MAC addresses? Also isn't the MOFI a 256 MB memory unit, and does it also have 32MB Flash instead of 16MB?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Yes, you can change the MAC, if only temporarily.

I don't have a 4500 on hand anymore to tell you. I'm fairly certain it's the same router as the 826t2 through and through, but I could be wrong.

Return to “General and Unclassified”