Gl-inet 750 on AT&T SIM not registered

MoarBarz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gl-inet 750 on AT&T SIM not registered

Post by MoarBarz »

I have an iPad plan and I use the SIM from it in my 750X. I haven’t used the device in about a year and I plugged it in today and it says sim not registered.

I moved the SIM to the iPad I activated it with, and the plan works. Moved it back to the 750 and it gives a SIM not registered error.

Total newbie here... I guess they’re requiring the IMEI to match now, so what do I do? Buy a new modem?
Dr-BroadBand

Re: Gl-inet 750 on AT&T SIM not registered

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

What carrier are you trying to use?

Has hard as you are trying to get onto the network the carriers and also working to keep you OFF, sad but true!
The carriers sell phones and tablets and let them on to the network. That is their business plan. :(

The IMEI number tells the carriers what type of equipment is tying to enter their network. So you do not need a new modem you need a SIM/Data Plan that works.

In the past it was easy to get and iPad SIM, and get it to work in a modem but it looks like this is getting harder to do.

Since 2004, the IMEI appears in the format AA-BBBBBB-CCCCCC-D. The sections labeled A and B are known as the Type Allocation Code (TAC). The TAC portion of the IMEI identifies the manufacturer and model of the device. For example, the Google Pixel TAC code is 35-161508, while the iPhone 6s Plus is 35-332907.

All the carriers needs is a BOT (Bots, or Internet robots) that looks at the IMEI number and givers it a Go/No Go onto the network. They can also but your modem on the naughty list :x

See link https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/phones-im ... f-explains
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

When you say 'ipad plan', are you referring to the older att prepaid plans that work through their 'buyasession' portal system? If so, I doubt it is imei related since those plans weren't tied down like others. I would first check and make sure your 'APN' settings are correct, which would use 'broadband' as the apn if its the older plan.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Thanks for the clues. :D I have been able to get my phone SIM to work in a modem (broadband')
but not the one from my iPad.
The iPad SIM has a Apple logo on it so I had low hopes that was going to work. :roll:

I phone SIM only has 22Gig of "Hot Spot" Data. and the end oy my bill cycle I will see if I can hide my modem from the Hot Spot tracking with TTL trick

Not sure is the 'buyasession' portal is still a thing

Can you send a link to a good ATT data plan

See link https://forums.att.com/conversations/wi ... f606cc4614
MoarBarz
Been thanked: 0

Post by MoarBarz »

Mine was a post-paid plan that I used to use on an iPad and just moved the SIM to the Spitz a while back.

If I can get my hands on an mpcie modem from a tablet or OEM… then can I put that in my router? E.g. buy a tablet with an mpcie modem, tear it down, keep the modem, chuck the tablet.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

The 'buyasession' portal is still used for existing accounts. It is related to att's original older prepaid tablet plans that everyone used to use that got phased out a year or more ago. Now the go to plan for att seems to be their post paid plan which was not advertised last I checked. Just go to local att store and ask for it is best option.

MoarBarz wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:15 pm If I can get my hands on an mpcie modem from a tablet or OEM… then can I put that in my router? E.g. buy a tablet with an mpcie modem, tear it down, keep the modem, chuck the tablet.
All tablets i've seen have the modem embedded in the main board. In the past i've just purchased a busted screen tablet from ebay and used the tablet's IMEI to activate on att's post paid tablet plan, then chuck the tablet. Can't remember if att's latest plan is tied down to the IMEI or not though so may take a bit of extra effort if so.
JohnnyDaMitch

Post by JohnnyDaMitch »

Yeah, AT&T ties your account plan to a specific IMEI, still.
Dr-BroadBand wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:58 am I will see if I can hide my modem from the Hot Spot tracking with TTL trick
I documented how to do this with AT&T, recently: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=18930#p18930

Unfortunately, the TTL trick doesn't do anything for AT&T. For the hack you mention, it requires an IMEI spoof, which is a pretty extreme measure to have to take.

Return to “GL.iNet”