NEXQ6GO-M With EM12G. What kind of plan to choose? Phone plan or hotspot?

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
AntonJack

NEXQ6GO-M With EM12G. What kind of plan to choose? Phone plan or hotspot?

Post by AntonJack »

I am currently trying to figure out what plan to buy and see what has worked for others because I am moving to a rural area where it seems it’s either crappy satellite internet or praying Starlink comes through soon. I have read and researched so many people saying they just put an unlimited phone plan into their router and it works. Others have said that it doesn’t work and they’ve had to get a hotspot plan.

I bought a NEXQ6GO-M router and put the EM12G modem inside of it so it is a category 12 modem for promising speeds. I configured the firmware by following the tutorial in the description and set the apn for a prepaid Verizon SIM card I bought and activated through an old iPhone 6s but it doesn’t seem to work. I also tried taking my personal atat SIM card out of my phone but got the same results.

I am currently trying to talk with atat to get a hotspot plan activated on a SIM card using the IMEI of the router. I already know of the TTL function which I will be taking advantage of. Is this the correct route or can you tell me what you did to get it working?
BDF1234

Re: NEXQ6GO-M With EM12G. What kind of plan to choose? Phone plan or hotspot?

Post by BDF1234 »

AntonJack wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:13 pm I am currently trying to figure out what plan to buy and see what has worked for others because I am moving to a rural area where it seems it’s either crappy satellite internet or praying Starlink comes through soon. I have read and researched so many people saying they just put an unlimited phone plan into their router and it works. Others have said that it doesn’t work and they’ve had to get a hotspot plan.

I bought a NEXQ6GO-M router and put the EM12G modem inside of it so it is a category 12 modem for promising speeds. I configured the firmware by following the tutorial in the description and set the apn for a prepaid Verizon SIM card I bought and activated through an old iPhone 6s but it doesn’t seem to work. I also tried taking my personal atat SIM card out of my phone but got the same results.

I am currently trying to talk with atat to get a hotspot plan activated on a SIM card using the IMEI of the router. I already know of the TTL function which I will be taking advantage of. Is this the correct route or can you tell me what you did to get it working?
Have you checked to see if you can get Verizon's Home LTE service or T-Mobile's? Both will give you what you are looking for without the hassle.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

I practically begged Verizon to sell me their Home LTE service, but they would not. The tower is 1.25 miles from my house, and my neighbor has it and it works great. They could not provide a reason for not selling it to me, just a list of potential reasons. Very frustrating company to deal with.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The Verizon MVNO and prepaid phone plans need the modem IMEI to match, and it's an ass pain. There is lots of info on using the Verizon pre-paid on here. BillA has helped many with it. Search for his posts on Verizon.

You can use the ATT ipad plan on your setup. $35 a month right now, still tested as working.

Hotspot plans are easiest, tablet are next, phone plans are usually the hardest.
AntonJack

Post by AntonJack »

BDF1234 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:01 am Have you checked to see if you can get Verizon's Home LTE service or T-Mobile's? Both will give you what you are looking for without the hassle.
I have tried and unfortunately it's not available here yet. For now this can tide me over until my Starlink is shipped. Thank you for the idea though. Very much appreciated!
AntonJack

Post by AntonJack »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:49 am The Verizon MVNO and prepaid phone plans need the modem IMEI to match, and it's an ass pain. There is lots of info on using the Verizon pre-paid on here. BillA has helped many with it. Search for his posts on Verizon.

You can use the ATT iPad plan on your setup. $35 a month right now, still tested as working.

Hotspot plans are easiest, tablet are next, phone plans are usually the hardest.
I will definitely try to get the tablet plan soon but for now I got the 100gb hotspot plan for $55/month. I finally got this setup working and the next step is getting the antennas figured out. I will also look into Verizon so that I get better coverage. Thank you a lot for the tip.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

AntonJack wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:52 pm I will definitely try to get the tablet plan soon but for now I got the 100gb hotspot plan for $55/month. I finally got this setup working and the next step is getting the antennas figured out. I will also look into Verizon so that I get better coverage. Thank you a lot for the tip.
Glad you got it working. The AT&T 100 GB hotspot plan for $55/mo is about the best deal going for routers, where you don't have to do anything that may violate the terms of use and you are a direct customer of the wireless provider.

Return to “General and Unclassified”