RV Internet setup needed for work

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
OSUKrazyKate

RV Internet setup needed for work

Post by OSUKrazyKate »

So I have been researching for over a year, whenever I can in between work and everything going on (work has me super crazy busy with the pandemic). I thought I had everything all figured out at the beginning of the year with a new MOFI 4500 Sim 7 with an ATT plan through a third party business. Then whatever happened with the company I do not exactly know.

OK, so I have gotten an unlimited elite cell phone plan from ATT. I have been trying to figure out the Magic on my MOFI. I have a mac computer. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I find a lot of stuff on windows based computers. Can I use the apple Terminal app on my Mac to do the magic?

Since I bought this modem not that long ago and paid a good amount of money I would prefer to use this one for now. Thanks for any assistance or suggestions!
Didneywhorl

Re: RV Internet setup needed for work

Post by Didneywhorl »

Can't speak of the magics here, but this may point you in the right direction.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=modem+command ... ave&ia=web

You have a Quectel EC25AF in the SIM7.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

For $55, 100Gig of data no magic needed!
Maybe a good place to start.

Get your setup up and running before getting fancy.

See link

https://youtu.be/2dNRd98PAyU

The MoFI Sim-7 is a cat-4 modem, Not the sharpest tool but will get the job done if you have a good signal and a good tower with
data.

The best thing about the MoFI Sim-7 is it has band 71, 600MHz but you need T-Mobile

Low frequency helps in a rural setting and Few people can use band 71
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Or you can use this dude for less than half the price: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/4g-lte- ... -and-play/

And get 5Ghz wifi, unlike the MOFI4500.

Or get a used Cradlepoint, to keep the price down on their commercial routers.

or build your own. :)
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

OSUKrazyKate wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:22 pm
Since I bought this modem not that long ago and paid a good amount of money I would prefer to use this one for now. Thanks for any assistance or suggestions!
Good advice it’s a little late
Most people get the hardware then find this site when they need help.

When I see RV 9 out of 10 times it’s a MoFi :o

Thanks for your information it can help others.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

OSUKrazyKate wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:22 pm So I have been researching for over a year, whenever I can in between work and everything going on (work has me super crazy busy with the pandemic). I thought I had everything all figured out at the beginning of the year with a new MOFI 4500 Sim 7 with an ATT plan through a third party business. Then whatever happened with the company I do not exactly know.

OK, so I have gotten an unlimited elite cell phone plan from ATT. I have been trying to figure out the Magic on my MOFI. I have a mac computer. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I find a lot of stuff on windows based computers. Can I use the apple Terminal app on my Mac to do the magic?

I was using a 3rd party AT&T provider and recently got the boot without warning. So I did the same thing you are doing. Bought the post paid unlimited elite plan and use it in a Quectel EM160. Is working great. I do own a Mofi Sim 7, but I never tried it in there. Its nice because my first 100 GB's are "premium" data, and I can stream in 1080p. The old plan said 720p, but I think it was really 480p.

I initially tried tethering the phone to the router, but was never able to get it using phone data, it just kept burning up the hotspot data.
OSUKrazyKate

Post by OSUKrazyKate »

BDF1234 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:14 pm I was using a 3rd party AT&T provider and recently got the boot without warning. So I did the same thing you are doing. Bought the post paid unlimited elite plan and use it in a Quectel EM160. Is working great. I do own a Mofi Sim 7, but I never tried it in there. Its nice because my first 100 GB's are "premium" data, and I can stream in 1080p. The old plan said 720p, but I think it was really 480p.

I initially tried tethering the phone to the router, but was never able to get it using phone data, it just kept burning up the hotspot data.
Hmmmmm, that 3rd company didn't happen to be have RV in their name with 4G did it?
OSUKrazyKate

Post by OSUKrazyKate »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:29 am Good advice it’s a little late
Most people get the hardware then find this site when they need help.

When I see RV 9 out of 10 times it’s a MoFi :o

Thanks for your information it can help others.
Yeah it's sad. A lot of us out there trying to now use it after buying it to use with some 3rd party WiFi provider.

I thought I did do my research prior to getting this MOFI. I guess I didn't do a good enough job or use the right keywords when searching around.
OSUKrazyKate

Post by OSUKrazyKate »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:36 pm Or you can use this dude for less than half the price: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/4g-lte- ... -and-play/

And get 5Ghz wifi, unlike the MOFI4500.

Or get a used Cradlepoint, to keep the price down on their commercial routers.

or build your own. :)
Are you sure it gets 5Ghz? I might be misreading the information on that link.

How well does this one perform? Does it still work pretty well with only a bar or two of signal? I am willing to pay that much if it is really going to work great. I love that it has the Terminal for AT commands built in.

I also need to figure out an antenna or something I can either attach to the RV or setup on an extending pole when I am in a location if needed to boos the signal reception.

I am currently having to drive 2 hours each day just to use the internet to do my work and research all of this and get it figured out, uggggg.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

OSUKrazyKate wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:48 pm Hmmmmm, that 3rd company didn't happen to be have RV in their name with 4G did it?
No, this was a company called InfinteLTE. They actually are a very good company. I think AT&T changed the rules on them. A few days later they offered to get me reconnected on a new Sim, but I had already moved on. We depend on it for work, so I couldn't sit around hoping for the best.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

OSUKrazyKate wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:01 pm Are you sure it gets 5Ghz? I might be misreading the information on that link.

How well does this one perform? Does it still work pretty well with only a bar or two of signal? I am willing to pay that much if it is really going to work great. I love that it has the Terminal for AT commands built in.

I also need to figure out an antenna or something I can either attach to the RV or setup on an extending pole when I am in a location if needed to boos the signal reception.

I am currently having to drive 2 hours each day just to use the internet to do my work and research all of this and get it figured out, uggggg.
Yeah, it does have 5Ghz wifi. The performance on wifi is the same as on ethernet.

It uses a Quectel EC25AF modem. Not the highest grade modem, but I've seen tests of over 60Mbps DL on Visible. I've tested 50+Mbps on T-mobile. I've also tested it with my ipad SIM, but my ATT speeds around here are terrible, so not a fair speed to report. 20-30-ish Mbps.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Hay OSUKrazyKate

There are many modems and Antennas to pick from.

If you can list your needs/goals and your budget the group can offer better information for your setup.

Also helps to know about your location and what Carrier / bands you plan to use.

Are you able to use your MoFI in the short term until you get a better setup??

Would stay away from the 3rd Tier carriers
They are bottom feeders with little or no rules

Most are fly by night here one day gone the next :o
OSUKrazyKate

Post by OSUKrazyKate »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:10 pm Hay OSUKrazyKate

There are many modems and Antennas to pick from.

If you can list your needs/goals and your budget the group can offer better information for your setup.

Also helps to know about your location and what Carrier / bands you plan to use.

Are you able to use your MoFI in the short term until you get a better setup??

Would stay away from the 3rd Tier carriers
They are bottom feeders with little or no rules

Most are fly by night here one day gone the next :o
Hey Dr. Broadband! I have tried to answer all your questions and I hope this makes it much more clear.

Need/Goal (they are actually the same for me)

I need to have as reliable as one can get, internet to work for me in my RV so that I may do my job wherever I may be at presently. I travel a lot all over for my job. And am now staying in my own RV instead of hotels. I need to be able to have video conferences with colleagues via Zoom, Teams, or Ring (those are the ones most of my clients are now using). I need to be able to transmit large files as quickly as possible.

I need to be able to stream netflix so that my family has something to watch in the evenings, or even possibly while I am working. Hence, multiple devices need to be able to connect. I even sometimes have multiple computers for different projects, especially during this pandemic.

I am also needing to learn how to reprogram the MOFI or whatever other Modem I purchase. Coding is no stranger to me, but I do not know the AT language or commands.

Budget:
Max on additional/new equipment: $500

Monthly internet expenses I would like to stay as low as possible.
For any additional equipment, I do not want to spend any more than $500 as I have already spent a lot of money.

Carrier:
AT&T has seemed to work for me the best for all of the places I have visited. I tried Verizon for a couple of years and found they were far less superior to AT&T and so we switched back this past year and they seem to be much better for us.

Bands:
no clue

Current Equipment & Plan:
MacBook Pro (I am only providing this information due to the AT commands as I do not have windows installed).
MOFI 4500 Sim 7
AT&T Unlimited Elite Phone sim card

I own the MOFI outright as I bought it straight from Mofi Networks. I would love to continue to use it if I can. At present the Sim will work in it, but I am not using it until I am confident it will continue to work, unlike the 3rd party I was using. It just stopped working one day and then that company went silent. And I already paid $1k to have service for a year. I got only one month! :(

Equipment I am needing:
Antennae to boost cellular tower signal
Possibly a new modem if is easier to program.

Possible additional equipment:
A larger antennae to be used in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma on my Inlaws ranch when we are visiting. We currently get 1-2 bars of signal with ATT. Only ATT seems to work at this time.

Eventually I am planning on getting the Starlink satellite system, but it will not be to our area for some time and is not mobile as of yet. So I need to get something figured out pronto. I leave in little over a week back out on the road again and need to have everything figured out beforehand and working.

Thank you so much for your help!
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

First thing is get a working SIM this is the hardest part about this game we must play :roll:

AT&T Prepaid - 100GB / $55/mo for Hotspots, Routers & Tablets: Great Deal Plan Upgrade!

https://youtu.be/CMRJm5T-JpI

Use Cell Mapper
https://www.cellmapper.net
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

OSUKrazyKate wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:47 pm Hey Dr. Broadband! I have tried to answer all your questions and I hope this makes it much more clear.

Need/Goal (they are actually the same for me)

I need to have as reliable as one can get, internet to work for me in my RV so that I may do my job wherever I may be at presently. I travel a lot all over for my job. And am now staying in my own RV instead of hotels. I need to be able to have video conferences with colleagues via Zoom, Teams, or Ring (those are the ones most of my clients are now using). I need to be able to transmit large files as quickly as possible.

I need to be able to stream netflix so that my family has something to watch in the evenings, or even possibly while I am working. Hence, multiple devices need to be able to connect. I even sometimes have multiple computers for different projects, especially during this pandemic.

I am also needing to learn how to reprogram the MOFI or whatever other Modem I purchase. Coding is no stranger to me, but I do not know the AT language or commands.

Budget:
Max on additional/new equipment: $500

Monthly internet expenses I would like to stay as low as possible.
For any additional equipment, I do not want to spend any more than $500 as I have already spent a lot of money.

Carrier:
AT&T has seemed to work for me the best for all of the places I have visited. I tried Verizon for a couple of years and found they were far less superior to AT&T and so we switched back this past year and they seem to be much better for us.

Bands:
no clue

Current Equipment & Plan:
MacBook Pro (I am only providing this information due to the AT commands as I do not have windows installed).
MOFI 4500 Sim 7
AT&T Unlimited Elite Phone sim card

I own the MOFI outright as I bought it straight from Mofi Networks. I would love to continue to use it if I can. At present the Sim will work in it, but I am not using it until I am confident it will continue to work, unlike the 3rd party I was using. It just stopped working one day and then that company went silent. And I already paid $1k to have service for a year. I got only one month! :(

Equipment I am needing:
Antennae to boost cellular tower signal
Possibly a new modem if is easier to program.

Possible additional equipment:
A larger antennae to be used in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma on my Inlaws ranch when we are visiting. We currently get 1-2 bars of signal with ATT. Only ATT seems to work at this time.

Eventually I am planning on getting the Starlink satellite system, but it will not be to our area for some time and is not mobile as of yet. So I need to get something figured out pronto. I leave in little over a week back out on the road again and need to have everything figured out beforehand and working.

Thank you so much for your help!
For AT&T 4g/LTE you will want to have Bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 14 (if possible but not necessary), 17, 30, 66. Since you are travelling, the more of these bands you have, the better. Different bands may be prominent in different areas. For me, I really only need B66 & 12 to get by. But I'm not mobile.

The Mofi may do what you need, but it will be hit and miss. Since you already have it, I would certainly give it a try and see how it goes.

Have you gotten the Mofi working on the AT&T phone sim?
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

OSUKrazyKate

For your Zoom meeting needs maybe an iPad would work for you.
This would depend a lot on how good of a cell signal you have.

Worst case could go to Starbucks or McDonald's and use their WiFi,
for your meeting.

iPad Pro

802.11ax Wi-Fi 6; simultaneous dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz); HT80 with MIMO
Bluetooth 5.0 technology
Wi-Fi + Cellular models

Model A2301 and A2379:
5G NR (Bands n1, n2, n3, n5, n7, n8, n12, n20, n25, n28, n38, n40, n41, n66, n71, n77, n78, n79)4
5G NR mmWave (Bands n260, n261)
FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 66, 71)
TD-LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48)
UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC‑HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
Data only5
Wi-Fi calling4
eSIM6
OSUKrazyKate

Post by OSUKrazyKate »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:13 am OSUKrazyKate

For your Zoom meeting needs maybe an iPad would work for you.
This would depend a lot on how good of a cell signal you have.

Worst case could go to Starbucks or McDonald's and use their WiFi,
for your meeting.

iPad Pro

802.11ax Wi-Fi 6; simultaneous dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz); HT80 with MIMO
Bluetooth 5.0 technology
Wi-Fi + Cellular models

Model A2301 and A2379:
5G NR (Bands n1, n2, n3, n5, n7, n8, n12, n20, n25, n28, n38, n40, n41, n66, n71, n77, n78, n79)4
5G NR mmWave (Bands n260, n261)
FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 66, 71)
TD-LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48)
UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC‑HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
Data only5
Wi-Fi calling4
eSIM6
Hi Dr. Broadband,

Unfortunately an iPad would not work as my meetings consist of showing Statistical Analyses, presentations of data, and other documents and such that I would have on my computer rather than an iPad. And there is the part where I need to VPN into servers and such to conduct analyses or whatever I am currently working on. :(

So I do have a SIM card that does work, it's an Unlimited Elite cell phone SIM. And it does work in the MOFI, but I am worried of it getting shutdown once I start using it without doing any reconfiguring on the MOFI. From everything that I have read I need to do some changes first. I contacted MOFI and they said I just needed to change one of the settings to Broadband, but I cannot afford for it to just get shutdown just because I didn't do some other changes, i.e. IMEI.

Unfortunately, I also cannot go to McDonalds/Starbucks to work for a few reasons, but most importantly I cannot live at McDonalds/Starbucks. LOL
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

OSUKrazyKate wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:48 pm Hi Dr. Broadband,

Unfortunately, I also cannot go to McDonalds/Starbucks to work for a few reasons, but most importantly I cannot live at McDonalds/Starbucks. LOL
That was a short term fix.... Since you are in a time crunch. :D

Broadband is a APN for AT&T
The the other trick is Setting the TTL to something like 65

This may trick the carrier and the modem data is not counted as hot spot data.
The carriers are getting wise to this, so it's getting harder to do.

Would talk with AT&T and get the 100Gig for $55. Tell them that you are running a business.
talk with a business manager, maybe they can get you a better deal with more data.

AT&T just announced they are going to spend $20B this year on wireless Capex. :shock:

(TTL (time to live) is a setting that tells the DNS resolver how long to cache a query before requesting a new one.)

Good luck my friend, hope for the best for you and your family

Sorry about InfinteLTE
OSUKrazyKate

Post by OSUKrazyKate »

BDF1234 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:28 am For AT&T 4g/LTE you will want to have Bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 14 (if possible but not necessary), 17, 30, 66. Since you are travelling, the more of these bands you have, the better. Different bands may be prominent in different areas. For me, I really only need B66 & 12 to get by. But I'm not mobile.

The Mofi may do what you need, but it will be hit and miss. Since you already have it, I would certainly give it a try and see how it goes.

Have you gotten the Mofi working on the AT&T phone sim?
I know the MOFI was working great for me previously most of the places I was located, but I am now considering this modem https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/4g-lte- ... -and-play/

I did get the AT&T phone Sim to work, but I am worried if I don't do something in the configuration of the MOFI that it will get shutdown. I say this from some of the research I ended up doing after the 3rd party I was previously using went belly up and silent and my internet no longer worked.
OSUKrazyKate

Post by OSUKrazyKate »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:08 pm That was a short term fix.... Since you are in a time crunch. :D

Broadband is a APN for AT&T
The the other trick is Setting the TTL to something like 65

This may trick the carrier and the modem data is not counted as hot spot data.
The carriers are getting wise to this, so it's getting harder to do.

Would talk with AT&T and get the 100Gig for $55. Tell them that you are running a business.
talk with a business manager, maybe they can get you a better deal with more data.

AT&T just announced they are going to spend $20B this year on wireless Capex. :shock:

(TTL (time to live) is a setting that tells the DNS resolver how long to cache a query before requesting a new one.)

Good luck my friend, hope for the best for you and your family
Awe yes, I did change it to Broadband. But I need to double check the TTL. What about the IMEI?
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

The IMEI is like the VIN number for your car.

You would only change it if you were up to no good.
The same thing is true for modems.

It can be done but is not talked about here. Would need to use the Google.

How it helps is like your car VIN number there is a lot of information in the number.
like what type of device Phone, tablet, or modem.
If you could make your modem look the a phone you could get more data.

Could get in trouble with the FCC and the Feds ... Ouch :o

IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity)
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

OSUKrazyKate wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:27 pm Awe yes, I did change it to Broadband. But I need to double check the TTL. What about the IMEI?
If you are using a phone sim, you may need to set the APN to nxtgenphone. Broadband is a working APN, but it may count as hotspot data.

Have you confirmed that you are using phone data, rather than hotspot data? If so, I wouldn't make any changes. Just roll with it.

Regarding IMEI changes, we are not allowed to advise on that here. I am told that it is illegal. Based on my research, I have not found any actual documentation stating that just the act of changing IMEI's is illegal. I have found that it is illegal when done as a part of another criminal act, like reprogramming stolen phones to resell them, but not just the act of changing an IMEI on two devices that you legally own and are not attempting to sell. Proceed at your own risk.

My thoughts are that if you own both devices, and simply put the phone in a drawer, the risk is low. Once again, proceed at your own risk.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

OSUKrazyKate wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:25 pm I know the MOFI was working great for me previously most of the places I was located, but I am now considering this modem https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/4g-lte- ... -and-play/

That modem is no better than the Mofi. The wifi router is better. But the modem is the same Quectel EC25 as the Mofi Sim 7. Cat 4, no CA.

If you are going to spend money on a new unit, I would make it a worthwhile upgrade to at least a Cat 16 with 4x4 MIMO.
OSUKrazyKate

Post by OSUKrazyKate »

BDF1234 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:38 am If you are using a phone sim, you may need to set the APN to nxtgenphone. Broadband is a working APN, but it may count as hotspot data.

Have you confirmed that you are using phone data, rather than hotspot data? If so, I wouldn't make any changes. Just roll with it.

Regarding IMEI changes, we are not allowed to advise on that here. I am told that it is illegal. Based on my research, I have not found any actual documentation stating that just the act of changing IMEI's is illegal. I have found that it is illegal when done as a part of another criminal act, like reprogramming stolen phones to resell them, but not just the act of changing an IMEI on two devices that you legally own and are not attempting to sell. Proceed at your own risk.

My thoughts are that if you own both devices, and simply put the phone in a drawer, the risk is low. Once again, proceed at your own risk.
Hi BDF1234,

Oh this is great information! So I only booted it up once as I didn't want to trigger anything if I don't have it setup properly to work.

In regards to IMEI, I have found exactly what you stated. I do own both the phone that I used for the Sim card plan (which is an old phone of mine never used by anybody else) and the MOFI, which I bought directly from MOFI Networks.

How do I confirm if I am using phone data or hotspot data?

I am thinking of adding another plan, like Calyx or Visible. And then split my usage between them or something and also to have a backup in case one does not work, for wherever I may be at the time.
OSUKrazyKate

Post by OSUKrazyKate »

BDF1234 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:44 am That modem is no better than the Mofi. The wifi router is better. But the modem is the same Quectel EC25 as the Mofi Sim 7. Cat 4, no CA.

If you are going to spend money on a new unit, I would make it a worthwhile upgrade to at least a Cat 16 with 4x4 MIMO.
If I am getting a new modem, I definitely want to make it a worthwhile investment. Do you have any suggestions that is affordable, works great, and will last me for a bit? I do understand technology changes quickly, but want to get ahead here somehow and not have to worry for a while.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

OSUKrazyKate wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:44 pm
How do I confirm if I am using phone data or hotspot data?
The short answer, trial and error. You get the modem connected and do something to use data, like streaming. Wait a few hours, or overnight, and log in to your account to see whether data counted as hotspot data or unlimited data. If it is using hotspot data, you need to make some adjustments. Could be TTL/HL, could be APN, could be both. Sometimes IPv6 can be an issue. You just have to go through the process.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

OSUKrazyKate wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:44 pm Do you have any suggestions that is affordable, works great, and will last me for a bit?
I would suggest getting the most you can possibly get out of the Mofi and then reassess. You will learn a lot as you gain experience with it and build your knowledge base. You will then be in a better position to choose something to fit your needs.

That is more or less what I did. After using the Mofi for 6 months or so, I decided to buy the parts from the The Wireless Haven store and build my own.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

I would agree with BDF1234, the MoFi is a good starter unit but if you need speed you will need to build a hot rod.
It’s not as scary as it sounds, the boys at the The Wireless Haven Store and the users here can help!!

Often when you buy and off the self, turn key unit they lack the access to the guts of the modem you need to tweak.
Like TTL and band locking. And a way to measure Signal strength.
This is very helpful for the next nut you will need to crack, antennas design :ugeek:

The M1 Nighthawk is a good example (My first mistake) the MoFi was my second mistake. :roll:
It has the controls but lacked the power. I needed to get the SIM-7 (Cat-4 and no CA.. ouch) to get band-71
The MoFi Sim-4 is a Cat-6 with CA. Most phones are Cat-20 :o

The MoFi found a home in our Mini Van so my family has WiFi on road trips.
Being a RVer band locking will be helpful to stay off the crowded towers.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:56 pm I would agree with BDF1234, the MoFi is a good starter unit but if you need speed you will need to build a hot rod.
It’s not as scary as it sounds, the boys at the The Wireless Haven Store and the users here can help!!
I second that...Build a hotrod! :) I like that analogy. That's what I did.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Ya and don't forget the car keys........SIM/Data Plan :lol:

It's good to have two sets of keys if you do more than just watch NetFlix
OSUKrazyKate

Post by OSUKrazyKate »

ROFL, yes I am having hard time with the car keys.

So I am about to pull my hair out with this modem/setup and just trying to get internet to work. I went ahead and was going to try and use the modem with the Sim card I got from ATT a little over a week ago, but I can't even seem to get it to go online. I can get into the MOFI modem settings. I have adapted the settings as we have discussed, but alas no internet. I am so confused at this point. I am currently driving 2 hours a day just to do my work and meetings. In between meetings and trying to get my work done I am trying to get this figured out. I can't keep up at this rate and I am about to be on the road in a little over a week now where I won't be able to do this at all. :? :shock: :cry:
OSUKrazyKate

Post by OSUKrazyKate »

BDF1234 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:04 pm The short answer, trial and error. You get the modem connected and do something to use data, like streaming. Wait a few hours, or overnight, and log in to your account to see whether data counted as hotspot data or unlimited data. If it is using hotspot data, you need to make some adjustments. Could be TTL/HL, could be APN, could be both. Sometimes IPv6 can be an issue. You just have to go through the process.
So I was trying to test it last night and couldn't get online. I thought well maybe it is because there is not great signal where I was located. Now I am in the middle of town to use internet to work and am also trying to test out the MOFI with the new SIM and it isn't getting online at all.

It worked a few months ago just fine with the ATT sim from the 3rd party I was using, but now I can't get the new sim to work at all. I can go to http://192.168.10.1 and see all my setting and such. But I can't even go to a website. Not sure what to do now.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Can you tell me more about the SIM, was it for a phone, iPad, hot spot/modem

Can you do some screen dumps and share.

Can try to remove the SIM and do a hard factor reset.
And re-enter your settings

Have seen this work before.
The MoFi is known to be a little squirrelly.

BEST Cellular Hotspot Plans for RVers - Lots of Data for Mobile Internet (May 2021)
https://youtu.be/BwQQgelDXF4
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:21 am Ya and don't forget the car keys........SIM/Data Plan :lol:

It's good to have two sets of keys if you do more than just watch NetFlix
Yes, I def agree with that. We rely on it for working from home, so I have a back up plan and a back up to the back up plan. I know what its like to have your service discontinued with no warning.

Primary: AT&T Unlimited Elite phone plan in a Quectel EM160
Back up 1: Verizon Mifi Jetpack with 15 GB of data (only $10/mo added to my phone plan, well worth it for a good back up)
Back up 2: Verizon phone with 30 GB of hotspot data, which can be tethered if needed with proper TTL/HL settings to have unlimited data
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

OSUKrazyKate wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:48 pm ROFL, yes I am having hard time with the car keys.

So I am about to pull my hair out with this modem/setup and just trying to get internet to work. I went ahead and was going to try and use the modem with the Sim card I got from ATT a little over a week ago, but I can't even seem to get it to go online. I can get into the MOFI modem settings. I have adapted the settings as we have discussed, but alas no internet. I am so confused at this point. I am currently driving 2 hours a day just to do my work and meetings. In between meetings and trying to get my work done I am trying to get this figured out. I can't keep up at this rate and I am about to be on the road in a little over a week now where I won't be able to do this at all. :? :shock: :cry:
I would suggest putting the sim in the phone and getting that to work first. You might also try getting the phone tethered to the MOFI using Bill A's tether guide. If its a decent phone, and the signal is good, it will likely beat using the sim in the Mofi.

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1337

Refer to Bill's post at the bottom of page 1, since it has the IPv6 firewall rule as well as the IPv4.
OSUKrazyKate

Post by OSUKrazyKate »

Finally got it working. Yay! But it’s slow slow slow!

Now I just need to figure out what antenna(s) to buy.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Awesome glad you made it online!!

What was the fix?

How slow is slow?

If you can share screen shots, what band you are using the group can help.
Bronxbandits21
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Bronxbandits21 »

Hi All,

New here and also not the most tech savvy.

Interested in the solutions you all put forth on this topic!

I’ve got awful wifi in my apt and have been using my iPhone with T-Mobile as a hotspot for zoom—just signed a remote job offer that will require a ton of zoom calls each day. My awful Verizon wifi won’t support it (the tech who came to look at it last time it went haywire said it’s the equivalent to the best wifi money could buy you in 2005). So, until I’m able to successfully lobby my management company to accept Verizon Fios in my building, trying to find a better solution.

Option 1:
Add on the global unlimited data and hotspot use for $50 to my T-Mobile plan and use hotspot to support MacBook internet connectivity til kingdom come.

Option 2:
I just spoke to a rep at T-mobile who encouraged me to purchase a tablet SIM card with unlimited 4g/5g data and hook that up to my MacBook.
Unclear if this will actually work with my MacBook. Contradicting information online about mac’s data/sim capabilities.

Has anyone successfully implemented a sim/MacBook data strategy like option 2?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Did you check to see if T-Mobile home internet is available?
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Bronxbandits21 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:36 am Hi All,

New here and also not the most tech savvy.

Interested in the solutions you all put forth on this topic!
If you are lucky to get T-Mobile it could fit your needs.

I had a friend that was not in the service area.
He put his name on the waiting list, and got a phone call two days later that TM
will add him to the home internet service.

$50 month, no need to buy hardware

See my best speed test, at the the tower, Band 66 & n41
mileage may very ;)

Note cellular data was off, used only WiFi on may cell phone (iPhone SE)

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:30 am I had a friend that was not in the service area.
He put his name on the waiting list, and got a phone call two days later that TM
will add him to the home internet service.
https://www.t-mobile.com/isp
Thanks for this. Never heard of results by adding yourself to waiting list.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

gscheb wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:36 am Thanks for this. Never heard of results by adding yourself to waiting list.
T-Mobile is hungry. :) See link
I think StarLink has the carriers scared :lol:

T-Mobile outlines RURAL growth strategy!

https://youtu.be/_OppmKAUkus
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

I have it. And when I check other peoples homes around me it always says not available.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I just called and bugged the crap out of them, they relented. The lady on the phone said, "...oh wait. Huh, yep it IS available for you. I'll set it up and have your router sent to you." Something like that at least. :)

Return to “General and Unclassified”