What does the provider see about our device....

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
daniel.bedard
Been thanked: 0

What does the provider see about our device....

Post by daniel.bedard »

Hi,

-What identification information does the mobile service providers see other than our sim card number?

-Which device do they prefer to "see" to get the lowest cost unlimited plans?

-How do we program our device to appear to be what they prefer?
BillA

Re: What does the provider see about our device....

Post by BillA »

Basically they can "see" every website you go to, but will not see the actual contents of HTTPS sites. Most carriers also throttle your speed when they detect video streaming such as YouTube, while some may allow you to turn off video throttling. You can hide you usage by going through a VPN service, but then you're also limiting your speed greatly due to the real-time encryption overhead + VPN server + latency. So, pick your poison! ;)
daniel.bedard

Post by daniel.bedard »

But what do they know about my cell modem?
Is it possible to make the service provider see a tablet instead of a computer or a router?
Does the service provider even know I'm using the cell modem in a router?
BillA

Post by BillA »

daniel.bedard wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:29 pm But what do they know about my cell modem?
Is it possible to make the service provider see a tablet instead of a computer or a router?
Does the service provider even know I'm using the cell modem in a router?

Oh I though you're asking about the information your carrier can see during browsing.
Your modem also transmits a bunch of information which is used to set up a call/data connection, such as your SIM card number and IMEI/MEID from which they'll know the exact type of equipment you're using, the make and model of your phone, modem, or tablet (any device for that matter). There's no way to hide it from your mobile carrier.
Your GPS location may also be transmitted if your modem can lock onto the GPS signal (can be turned off on some modems), but at the very least the'll know your location within a 1 to 3 mile radius by tower triangulation.

It's possible to spoof your browser's UA (User-Agent), which tells the website you're browsing from a phone rather than a desktop/laptop. I have posted about this here > https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=4674#p4674
fyoory

Post by fyoory »

BillA wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:59 am Basically they can see every website you go to, but will not see the actual contents of HTTPS sites. Most carriers also throttle your speed when they sense video streaming such as YouTube, while some may allow you to turn off video throttling. You can hide you usage by going through a VPN service, but then you're also limiting your speed greatly due to the real-time encryption. So, pick your poison! ;)
If you switch to dns over https/tls you can obscure this from your ISP uplink at least. Unbound dns can do it if you install it. It will just go to your dns over https provider tho.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”