TTL issues with Cricket or something else?

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
backdrop-scrounger
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

TTL issues with Cricket or something else?

Post by backdrop-scrounger »

I've been using a GL.iNet AR750s as a travel router for about 8 months now, doing USB tether from a phone plugged into it.

I tried Visible (terrible speeds where I was. Like dial-up bad). I moved to a 100GB Cricket data-only plan, which was great, but I would run out of data every month so it was kinda crappy. I did a 100GB T-Mobile data-only plan, and it was pretty meh. Speeds weren't great, but what I've finally settled on was an Unlimited Cricket plan (the $60/month) one and changing the TTL.

I just setup a custom firewall rule to do this:

Code: Select all

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
This has gotten me the best speeds and no data caps (I use about 125GB-180GB month), but I have some really random issues with it. It seems like the more devices are using the WiFi from the router, the more issues I have. The biggest issue is that randomly sites will just fail to load because the DNS couldn't resolve. It's totally random and refreshing about 10-20 times will eventually make it work. It never happened on any of my other plans, so I'm wondering if it's an issue of the TTL being modified or something? Do I need to play with MTU as well?
Dr-BroadBand

Re: TTL issues with Cricket or something else?

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

What DNS are you using ??

Return to “General and Unclassified”