Starting from Scratch

HOTSPOT Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
randylo
Has thanked: 0

Starting from Scratch

Post by randylo »

Guys hope everyone has a happy and safe Easter.
I just got back from visiting my Sprint tower. It is only 2.5 miles away. Near the sprint tower I get 65Mbps. That is awesome! Problem is, at home I get 1-2 Mbps. I have a Sprint mifi 8000. I have searched on here to see if I could find a solid antenna build but could not find anything. I have some disposable income and it is time to fix this stuff. Starlink will not be available until the end of the year. Why wouldn't I get close to the 65Mbps if the tower is only 2.5 miles away? So, PLEASE guys, tell me what antenna or antennas to buy so that I can point them to the tower. Tell me what LMR cable to buy. I am at my wit's end and recently, I have a greater need to work from home. If someone could respond with any suggestions/list, would be greatly appreciated. So, to recap, I need suggestions on 1.) Antenna(s) 2.)LMR cable (which one) 3.) What connections and or pigtails. 4.) What router to use with the usb connection on the mifi 8000 once my setup is up and running. Thank you guys.
gscheb

Re: Starting from Scratch

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Do you have any idea what bands you locking to at the tower?
ylrkdr

Post by ylrkdr »

I'm assuming you have line of sight to the tower from your home? A lot of this depends on how much antenna cable you need to run from the antenna to the mifi.

All the equipment can be had at The Wireless Haven.

Antenna: 700-2700MHz WiFi | Cellular 7dBi Directional MIMO Antenna (± 45°) N Female Connectors

If you need more than 20 feet of antenna cable: Ultra Low Loss 400 cable. You'll need two of these.

You will also need these connectors to attach the 400 cables to your mifi: TS9 Male To SMA Female Adapter (PAIR). These work great, I used them on my Nighthawk.

20 feet or less: LMR200 Low Loss Duplex Coax (Dual) Cables N Male Connector 20 Feet | 2 X N Male | 2 X TS-9 Right Angle. They also sell a 10 foot version. These come in a two cable set.

Good luck!
ylrkdr

Post by ylrkdr »

As for a router, I guess that depends on how much area you need to cover.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

With this setup you do not need the cost or pain of antenna cables.
Even with good low loss cable, there will be signal lost. :shock:

See this setup
https://intsyconnect.com

https://youtu.be/i9gXVw-IchY
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

I agree with Dr-Broadband. I would avoid cable altogether and put the router/modem setup in an outdoor enclosure near where the external antenna will mount. Who knows, a year from now you may have 3 or 4 or 5 setups all with 4x4 MIMO if you get sucked in to the LTE game. That would be ALOT of cable. IMO, it is more efficient to put the device outside and only run ethernet cables to your main router indoors.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Here is an example I found on this form
I call it GO BIG or Stay Home :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Check Availability of TM home internet is Step-1
With StarLink coming hate to have you spend a lot of cash.

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp

StrarLink Real Time
https://satellitemap.space :o

Return to “General and Unclassified”