consistently fast upload, slow download

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
colbaltblue
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

consistently fast upload, slow download

Post by colbaltblue »

I have the P21 by Yeacom, with a t-mob sim. speedtest by ookla is around 1Mb down, and consistently 20Mb up. fast.com shows around 756k DL and 18Mb UL. I have tried TTL 32, 64, 65, and 128, internal antenna and with external. I also tried testing using multiple devices. any suggestions, beside get a better router? could it be defective?
Didneywhorl

Re: consistently fast upload, slow download

Post by Didneywhorl »

Sounds 100% like tower congestion.

What plan are you using on the SIM?
toddw

Post by toddw »

I've seen tower congestion before, and yes, when UL is consistently higher than DL its normally tower congestion.

However, if your getting exactly 1MB down and nothing more, that seems really odd. I once had a router with a modem module I was testing, it would consistently max out at 1mbps. For the oddest reason, whenever I did a MAC override on it, speeds would return to normal. Only kit I built that ever did this.

That is what worked for me, however, it still sounds like tower congestion. Ymmv...
colbaltblue
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by colbaltblue »

Thanks for the replies. I have been running speedtest on my phone itself after I test the modem, and sometime its slower DL with fast UL, which also makes me think congestion... but I am seeing these results even at 3am. Hopefully they are upgrading the backed; my 5G phone sees 20Mb max in my city. I was hoping to ditch current ISP, but this will get me by till I can sign up as a new customer, to pay $60 less for the same speeds/caps as I was. I guess its a wait and see game for now.

Thank you!

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”