Mofi4500-Sim7 + Quectel EM12-G CAT12

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Shadesta

Mofi4500-Sim7 + Quectel EM12-G CAT12

Post by Shadesta »

Good morning everyone. Please forgive me if this question has already been asked and I just haven't found that thread yet.

I currently have a Mofi4500-Sim7 and whatever Cat4 modem comes within that. I was curious, can you actually switch the lte cards out of Mofi4500 and still have the Mofi work? Specially, I was curious if I could just purchase a Quectel EM12-G CAT12 card (or any upgraded higher cat modem)and shove it into the Mofi and actually have it work?
Dr-BroadBand

Re: Mofi4500-Sim7 + Quectel EM12-G CAT12

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

In theory maybe

I think the chassis/router for a MoFi is a WE828. Which is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Will be better off starting fresh with a better new router.

Will need to know how to load firmware and use the command line.

The best thing about a MoFi is the GUI

Sure a better Quality modem is helpful but a MoFi with a cat-4 can pull down speeds of 30~40Mb

Your money maybe better spent on Antenna setup.
Shadesta

Post by Shadesta »

yeah, I do enjoy the simplicity of the gui/bios and not requiring putty or other such connection software to then setup via just command line.

I have two Wilson Electronics Wideband Directional Antenna 700-2700 MHz, 50 Ohm, along with two runs of 50ft Wilson-400 ultra low loss cable. that cable gives me just enough length to get outside and then get both the antennas about 10Ft off the ground. the cell tower is literally less than 3/4 of a mile away but there is a patch of trees in-between me and the cell tower; so there is no LOS.

I was curious / torn between maybe trying to just simply "aim" the antennas upwards higher at greater angle (like aiming above the trees instead of beside them)or swapping the modem out (if that was possible). For as close as I am to that tower, standing outside, still only ever get 3 bars of signal at best. cell phone speed tests, inside/outside the house at best is 40m down but not consistent. go down the road a bit to get just on the other side of the trees where you can actually see the tower, cell phone speeds are 180m - 200m down all day long. I have also consider different antennas, but not sure if there actually is anything "good" at going through trees.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Can I ask what Carrier you’re using and what type of cell phone

What band are you using with the MoFI

What is your Signal strength and Signal to noise ratio?
Shadesta

Post by Shadesta »

Carrier is visible wireless in the mofi.

the cell tower just on the other side of the woods is Verizon.

Band on Mofi is B4 (channel locked). This morning, for the first time in a long time, download speeds via mofi are horrible. like 2m down and sometimes as slow as .5 u.

The cell phone I use for quick comparison/refernce is a 3 year old LG ThinQ; 5g phone via work even though 5g is not in our area yet that I know of. it is verizon account.

Edit: * right after I initially posting this I went and ran a speed test again (I had been running them back to back for the last 15 minutes or so since it was running so slow). Anyways, right after posting this, another speed test and now appears to be back to normal. roughly 18m down (multiple tests) and about 40m up.. sure whish those numbers were reversed. :) lte...such a fickle and touchy beast.

Mofi signals as of this morning attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

Yes, you could replace the modem card in the Mofi, I don't know if the Mofi firmware would continue to work. I flashed my Mofi with the Goldenorb version for the WE826, just to experiment a bit. It works really well. You can always reflash it with the Mofi firmware and put it back to stock if you don't like it.

I also have a Mofi Sim 7. I decided to build a new rig from scratch, rather than rebuilding the Mofi. That allows me to keep the Mofi for a reliable (but slow) backup. I used the Quectel EM160 R and paired it with a Raspberry Pi 3B+ for the router. My DL speeds on the Mofi were 5 to 35 Mbps, depending on congestion. Now my DL speeds are often times over 100 Mbps. It fluctuates between 30 and 130 depending on congestion on my local tower.

If you're 3/4 mile from the tower, you could easily get by on a good quality set of paddle style antennas. My signal strength is only around -105 dBm RSRP (60ish %). I'm about 2 miles away with heavy tree foliage in between.

Just thought I would share my experience. Good luck to you!
Shadesta

Post by Shadesta »

hmm... it is sounding more and more like I just need to bite-the-bullet and try to build a router / modem combo on my own and figure out how to flash and set it up. curiosity is starting to get the better of me, if for no other reason than just to compare them. I keep seeing people talk about goldenorb and wifix (something like) on the forums, but I do not see a downloads section or link. where does that software come from? I know in another posting/forum someone listed out the equipment I would need and goldenorb. is goldenorg the only software I need? I'm pretty sure I have seen others talk about a WiFix or WiFi<something> software. Would I need both, or just one of them if I was going to do like a mofi clone setup, just with better equipment like the Quectel EM12-G CAT12? also...if this all happens to be like a linux operating system, I don't know diddly squat about linux so I hope there are really good instructions somewhere.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

Goldenorb is probably the only firmware you will need. As long as you pick a device that Goldenorb is currently supporting (there a couple of lists on the website below). That's why I picked the Raspberry Pi 3B+, instead of the newer and more powerful 4B. There was a recently updated and proven reliable firmware for the 3B+, but not the 4B. The 3B+ is good enough for my needs anyway.

Goldenorb is an open source firmware specifically for routers with cellular modems. It has a really nice user interface that is easier for average people like me to use than OpenWRT. I believe it was developed by a group based out of Australia called The Rooter Project. The Rooter Project has built several firmware platforms. You can check out their website:
https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/

In addition, a guy in Virginia has provided them some hosting space on his blog. Some of the builds and updates are on that website:
http://www.aturnofthenut.com/rooter-goldenorb/

WiFiX is a tweaked version of Goldenorb from the The Wireless Haven Store (I think). I have not been running it, so I can't comment on its similarities and differences.

Others with more experience than me can correct me if any of this is inaccurate.
Shadesta

Post by Shadesta »

Awesome. Thank you very much BDF1234

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”