LBR20 IMEI Help

Information related to Orbi routers
Forum rules
Use the search function prior to posting a topic on a subject that already exists
hurseyc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LBR20 IMEI Help

Post by hurseyc »

I wasn't sure if I should post this as a new thread or in the LBR20 Megathread but I didn't want to clutter that thread with my specific problem.

The short story is I'm wondering if anyone knows how to keep my LBR20 IMEI from 'reverting' to the original IMEI every night.

Longer story:

LBR20 w/Verizon unlimited (grandfathered) pre-pay account was super-stable for 6 months using 300-400GB monthly for work.
Started getting kicked off frequently.
VZW customer service confirmed it was b/c the LBR20 IMEI couldn't be activated on their network b/c it wasn't supported.

A nice guy in the Wireless Joint FB group helped me with changing the IMEI to match a VZW device.

As part of all of this I went to fw v2.6.3.50. When I needed telnet for the IMEI commands I moved back to v2.5.2.20.

While the IMEI change worked like a charm, every morning I would find the FW auto-updated and the IMEI changed back to the factory setting.

I assumed the IMEI change was due to the FW updates and found the way to stop the FW auto-updates using NVRAM commands. All good there, no more FW updates.

But still my IMEI is reverting nightly.

And of course since I was at 2.6.3.50 previously, my telnet option has to be reset each reboot. I'm hoping for an easy solution here or else I'll have to look into the new 2.6.3.50 circlejerk option. Even then I don't know if it'll solve my issue and implementing circlejerk seems to be on the edge of my abilities TBH.

Thanks for any info or help.
Chris
hazarjast

Re: LBR20 IMEI Help

Post by hazarjast »

I have noticed this in some setups especially VZW. Depending on the SKU of the unit and SIM ICCID the unit appears to struggle with the attach to VZW and then may be resetting itself with different MBN. Would be interested to know if your IMEI persists as long as you don’t reboot or if it is resetting without a reboot and if this happens, if you see the connection drop for a bit before you observe the change. If it persists as long as you don’t reboot then that’s not a hard fix as you can script the modification command to run when the unit comes up after a reboot. If it’s resetting itself “live” then that is more concerning and either represents a bug or a carrier exploitation of a sequence they know could cause a reset. It’s likely a bug rather than a willful exploitation. I have noticed mine reverted once or twice but it’s usually after I’ve made some changes which appear to trigger a factory reset of modem firmware.
hurseyc

Post by hurseyc »

hazarjast wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:48 am I have noticed this in some setups especially VZW. Depending on the SKU of the unit and SIM ICCID the unit appears to struggle with the attach to VZW and then may be resetting itself with different MBN. Would be interested to know if your IMEI persists as long as you don’t reboot or if it is resetting without a reboot and if this happens, if you see the connection drop for a bit before you observe the change. If it persists as long as you don’t reboot then that’s not a hard fix as you can script the modification command to run when the unit comes up after a reboot. If it’s resetting itself “live” then that is more concerning and either represents a bug or a carrier exploitation of a sequence they know could cause a reset. It’s likely a bug rather than a willful exploitation. I have noticed mine reverted once or twice but it’s usually after I’ve made some changes which appear to trigger a factory reset of modem firmware.
@hazarjast, Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the info.

Mine resets without a reboot. Actually it's gotten weirder.

4 days last week it was good and the IMEI didn't reset on it's own even overnight. At some point over the weekend it reset and now it won't hold it for even an hour. Again, no reboots.

I'm thinking of gen a new IMEI in case current one is tagged or used elsewhere or something.

Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks.
hurseyc

Post by hurseyc »

I wanted to drop an update here. For now my issues have disappeared.

While on firmware v2.5.2.20 I continued to have problems. On a whim I updated the LTE firmware to A06 and suddenly it's rock-solid again for a week.

I'm curious if A06 and the current router firmware (2.6.3.50) would be solid, with or without the IMEI magic, but I'm hesitant to press my luck.
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

hurseyc wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:51 am I wanted to drop an update here. For now my issues have disappeared.

While on firmware v2.5.2.20 I continued to have problems. On a whim I updated the LTE firmware to A06 and suddenly it's rock-solid again for a week.

I'm curious if A06 and the current router firmware (2.6.3.50) would be solid, with or without the IMEI magic, but I'm hesitant to press my luck.
Sorry for the months late reply but I am glad to see that A06 improved this behavior. I too have not seen an issue on my A06 unit or when assisting others on A06. In the LBR20 'Megathread' I have at least one CJ user reporting they are on 2.6.5.2 without issue now but not sure if A06 and the newer router firmware have been tested across all carriers to say for certain if everything is rock solid in all scenarios.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

If it is a Quectel modem, I believe the command:

Code: Select all

AT+QPRTPARA=1
should help set the changed parameters until a factory reset is done.
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:28 pm If it is a Quectel modem, I believe the command:

AT+QPR....
should help set the changed parameters until a factory reset is done.
Hmm, wouldn't that command be the one for factory reset of NRAM (counterproductive to what we are trying to accomplish)? I am working off the below for reference since "QPRTPARA" is not documented externally:

https://forums.quectel.com/t/bg96-diffe ... ore-0/4795

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong but wanted to point this out as it may actually accomplish the opposite of what the OP is trying to achieve.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

hazarjast wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:33 am Hmm, wouldn't that command be the one for factory reset of NRAM (counterproductive to what we are trying to accomplish)? I am working off the below for reference since "QPRTPARA" is not documented externally:

https://forums.quectel.com/t/bg96-diffe ... ore-0/4795

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong but wanted to point this out as it may actually accomplish the opposite of what the OP is trying to achieve.
Wow! Good catch! I must've been half asleep when I posted that. Edited, thank you!
go_navy

Post by go_navy »

hurseyc wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:24 pm I wasn't sure if I should post this as a new thread or in the LBR20 Megathread but I didn't want to clutter that thread with my specific problem.

The short story is I'm wondering if anyone knows how to keep my LBR20 IMEI from 'reverting' to the original IMEI every night.

Longer story:

LBR20 w/Verizon unlimited (grandfathered) pre-pay account was super-stable for 6 months using 300-400GB monthly for work.
Started getting kicked off frequently.
VZW customer service confirmed it was b/c the LBR20 IMEI couldn't be activated on their network b/c it wasn't supported.

A nice guy in the Wireless Joint FB group helped me with changing the IMEI to match a VZW device.

As part of all of this I went to fw v2.6.3.50. When I needed telnet for the IMEI commands I moved back to v2.5.2.20.

While the IMEI change worked like a charm, every morning I would find the FW auto-updated and the IMEI changed back to the factory setting.

I assumed the IMEI change was due to the FW updates and found the way to stop the FW auto-updates using NVRAM commands. All good there, no more FW updates.

But still my IMEI is reverting nightly.

And of course since I was at 2.6.3.50 previously, my telnet option has to be reset each reboot. I'm hoping for an easy solution here or else I'll have to look into the new 2.6.3.50 circlejerk option. Even then I don't know if it'll solve my issue and implementing circlejerk seems to be on the edge of my abilities TBH.

Thanks for any info or help.
Chris
I wish I could PM you about the IMEI for LBR20 but the system won't let me. Can you send me a PM so that I can seek help from you? Thanks!
go_navy

Post by go_navy »

hazarjast wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:48 am I have noticed this in some setups especially VZW. Depending on the SKU of the unit and SIM ICCID the unit appears to struggle with the attach to VZW and then may be resetting itself with different MBN. Would be interested to know if your IMEI persists as long as you don’t reboot or if it is resetting without a reboot and if this happens, if you see the connection drop for a bit before you observe the change. If it persists as long as you don’t reboot then that’s not a hard fix as you can script the modification command to run when the unit comes up after a reboot. If it’s resetting itself “live” then that is more concerning and either represents a bug or a carrier exploitation of a sequence they know could cause a reset. It’s likely a bug rather than a willful exploitation. I have noticed mine reverted once or twice but it’s usually after I’ve made some changes which appear to trigger a factory reset of modem firmware.
I wish I could PM you about the IMEI for LBR20 but the system won't let me. Can you send me a PM so that I can seek help from you? Thanks!
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

go_navy wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:04 pm I wish I could PM you about the IMEI for LBR20 but the system won't let me. Can you send me a PM so that I can seek help from you? Thanks!
I don't believe PMs are enabled on this site. Feel free to reach out via email: hazarjast at protonmail dot com.
go_navy

Post by go_navy »

Finally got the IMEI magic done on the LBR20 but it won't let me separate the SSID into 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Smart lock, cams are not connecting to the LBR20...
anmalar

Post by anmalar »

Hello !
How did you change the IMEI in the LBR20?
Can you say something more?
I have the same problem with ORBI.
Regards Anmalar
kjunmed

Post by kjunmed »

Alright I was able to get into the putty and try to do a few things, but it does not appear to be doing anything. I have checked and the Magic isn't working. When I use USB2 @ the end I get an error. so not sure where I am going wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

try using ttyUSB3
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

go_navy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:56 am Finally got the IMEI magic done on the LBR20 but it won't let me separate the SSID into 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Smart lock, cams are not connecting to the LBR20...
This should be helpful. Read and follow the entire thing to the end:
https://digiex.net/threads/step-by-step ... ter.15648/

To simplify the main CLI commands:

config set wifison-monitor_stop=1
config set wl_ssid="YOUR SSID 2.4Ghz NAME"
config set wla_ssid="YOUR SSID 5Ghz NAME"
config commit
The commands below check the values have been set as required and apply a reboot when ready:

config get wifison-monitor_stop
config get wl_ssid
config get wla_ssid
reboot
Of course the above does not include the tweaks performed in the GUI which should be done as well per the OP's instructions.
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

anmalar wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:51 am Hello !
How did you change the IMEI in the LBR20?
Can you say something more?
I have the same problem with ORBI.
Regards Anmalar
Feel free to reach out via email: hazarjast at protonmail dot com if you still have any query regarding this.
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

kjunmed wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:38 pm Alright I was able to get into the putty and try to do a few things, but it does not appear to be doing anything. I have checked and the Magic isn't working. When I use USB2 @ the end I get an error. so not sure where I am going wrong.
/dev/ttyUSB2 is the correct device (/dev/ttyUSB3 should work as well). These types of command should be performed without the SIM inserted so that the modem is not busy doing other things when you issue the command. Outside of that, check your syntax for things like formatted double quotes, invisible characters, input length (IMEIs should be 15 digits), or other typographical errors.

Return to “Orbi”