EM12 losing what seems like DNS and internet

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
srunyon1

EM12 losing what seems like DNS and internet

Post by srunyon1 »

I think I have asked this before but cant find the Thread.

I have an issue with a EM12 it connects up fine with very strong signal. 100% actually.

it will work for about 15 or 20 mins , stays connected but then just will not connect to the internet.

Usually takes a power off and on to get it to come back. re connecting the modem doesn't usually help.

Ive added DNS to the advanced settings and it doesn't seem to help using 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8

running the latest
Model ZBT-WE826 (16M)
Architecture MediaTek MT7620A ver:2 eco:6
Firmware Version GoldenOrb_2020-03-01 ( OpenWrt 18.06.7 )
Kernel Version 4.14.167

Network :
FDD LTE

CSQ :

Signal Strength :
100%

RSSI :
-51 dBm

ECIO :
-13 (RSRQ) dB

RSCP :
-81 (RSRP) dBm

Connection Monitoring Status :
Network :
FDD LTE

Connection Monitoring Status : up using ping test

I setup connection monitoring but not much help.

I am connecting to it via Wifi,

I have a EM20 on another system running LTE firmware. But it actually is not connecting to this same cell.
The hard part is I have this setup as a repeater on top of my hill and its a pain to go do a hard reboot.:-)

any ideas would be welcome.
thanks
Ziggy.
srunyon1

Re: EM12 losing what seems like DNS and internet

Post by srunyon1 »

So I just had a thought, so the router seems to ping the DNS just fine because the connection monitoring is staying up. Could this be a firmware issue between Wifi and the router?
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

If you are able to ping sites and the connection monitor is staying 'up' then you still have an LTE connection to the tower it seems. Certain providers with certain modems/hardware like to block ports for whatever reasons. I bet if you were to try to connect through a VPN connection that you would find that things are back to normal for the most part. I bet they are blocking http traffic on port 80 in your situation. You might try a VPN provider to confirm such as nordvpn or PIA (private internet access) which is what I use sometimes.
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

Well from the router it is connected , I was able to reach the test sites under diagnostics. Every VPN I have tried just brings my connections to a crawl. I tried really hard one weekend to set the VPN up from the router with no luck. I didn't want to run VPN on every device i own. I really feel its an issue with the firmware on the router. Router can ping and do DNS lookup, but connected via wifi I can not. My next test I guess will be to see if it works via Ethernet. I had this problem some time back with a different router but it went away. This now worked almost all day before failure mode at least 6 hours.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

Thanks but no joy, tried that. its really strange no mater what domain i put in the tests it connects. its just not letting wifi through. I will have to walk up there and see if it does the same for hard wired. I did go through and disable firewalls in the router etc.. with no change. even restarting the wireless service no change. I really feel its a firmware issue. This is a new router but I have another running different firmware without issue. At least not this issue.
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

So maybe someone can explain this so connected via wifi I can get to the router just fine, the router can do the speed test and looks like its connecting.

Last Test Date and Time : 2021-03-14 23:47:05

Starting speedtest for 10 seconds per transfer session.
Test Host : netperf-west.bufferbloat.net (IPv4)
Ping Host : 1.1.1.1
Download and upload sessions are concurrent.

Download: 14.95 Mbps
Upload: 5.69 Mbps
Latency: (in msec, 11 pings, 0.00% packet loss)
Min: 45.119 / Avg: 585.377 / Max: 1202.863

But i can not get to the internet at all.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

I agree that running through a VPN sucks and is a last resort for most, however, I was only suggesting to try using a VPN to rule out if the carrier is blocking ports. I have a feeling this happens a lot and most don't realize it.

Depending on which test, the diagnostics only shows a partial picture. It looks like your DNS at the router is fine, and that ICMP packets are making it through. Depending on how the netperf speedtest is setup, it may be showing that you DO have http traffic. At this point I would go ahead and do a clean firmware install of a known working image and then like you said, try a wired connection at the router and go from there. Hopefully it is just a wifi issue or interference, the 826's wifi is usually avoided. Which provider are you using btw?
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

ATT- so i did a factory reset, and so far its still working.
since some of the later firmware updates on the 826 i haven't had any wifi issues. I have many of these.
Also have a neighbor that i support as well.
So unfortunately I didn't get a cable plugged into it before I reset it.
The other variable is that its now at the house and it is connecting to a different cell.
The whole reason for moving it is , because my neighbors built a house that now blocks my direct line of site to the tower that is normally the fastest and best signal. So I built a solar powered repeater and moved it up the hill where i have line of site again and with my Yagi's get a great signal. The problems i was having didn't matter if i was sitting right next to it or 300 feet away its the same issue. The other variable is that it is not running off the inverter I have for the solar and battery setup. Maybe its playing havoc on the power supply. Oh the Joy of troubleshooting intermittents..:-) Thanks for the help. I will let it run here for a day or two then move it back up to see if I get the same issues.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

I used to run an 826 but always disabled wifi as I seem to recall reading the speeds were extremely slow and never worked like it was supposed to. I think it was advised to used a normal router in AP MODE for wifi purposes but thats not to say the 826's wifi doesnt work at all. Another thing right off hand that popped up to me was you had mentioned solar and inverter. Depending on the brand of inverter, I know some of the cheapo's can put out some pretty nasty square wave AC with a lot of noise too. Could be the issue right there? Also maybe a lack of full power to the modem/router setup but I doubt that, i'd lean more to inverter interference if anything. Worth looking into I suppose if you still have problems. Keep us posted, I'm curious as to what you find at this point if anything in few days.
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

So After the Reset to factory, it started working again at the house on house power. I let it run all week.
I did upgrade the inverter as well on the solar systems. from a 150 watt modified sine wave to a 300 watt Pure sine wave.
so far it's been working for 2 days without the issue. So I think it was the inverter. but not sure just glad it now works. Thanks for the help

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”