Question on AT&T hotspot cap bypass(am i doing this right)?

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
nullptr
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question on AT&T hotspot cap bypass(am i doing this right)?

Post by nullptr »

Im trying to bypass the 30gb AT&T hotspot cap. I enabled hotspot on my phone(pixel3a) and connected to it from my laptop.

On my laptop I have my ipv4/6 ttl set to 65, ive verified this via ping 127.0.0.1 it returns ttl=65. I also have a VPN running on my laptop to prevent deep packet inspection.

Under phone settings -> mobile data usage, Im still seeing the data usage for the Hotspot&tethering app go up. Is this just my phone seeing the hotspot app using data and reporting it as such, and on AT&T end they just see me using mobile data, or is this not the case and i did something wrong.
Didneywhorl

Re: Question on AT&T hotspot cap bypass(am i doing this right)?

Post by Didneywhorl »

Can you manually set the APN to a single APN? I think broadband is their non-hotspot APN. But it may have changed.

I believe ATT uses different APNs to discern hotspot and non hotspot use.
tetranz

Re: Question on AT&T hotspot cap bypass(am i doing this right)?

Post by tetranz »

See this thread from here down. https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32 ... 630#p17616
That's me basically trying to do the same thing with a Samsung tablet.

I'm still not convinced that TTL matters for AT&T despite what Bill says there but APN certainly does. On my AT&T branded tablet you can't change APN so I've given up on that for now and will continue tethering with a Raspberry Pi running EasyTether and WireGuard which is actually working surprisingly well.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”