WE826GO-U and Verizon. Only using hotspot now.

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
RuralinternetSucks
Has thanked: 0

WE826GO-U and Verizon. Only using hotspot now.

Post by RuralinternetSucks »

Edit: Forgot, I'm using a Quectel EP06-A modem

Anyone know what I can do? I've changed the TTL multiple times previously (117, then 65, now 64) whenever I started using hotspot data. It got me around it but now I'm stuck. All three still have me on hotspot data. I heard there was a way to change the IMEI on the router? Is that possible? I have a phone that works and is Verizon compatible.

I'm just waiting for Starlink and this happening now is really kicking me. My daughter can't watch her school videos like this, much less do any video chats.

I ordered the test drive to test tmobile out here because it shows (very spotty) service on their map. But unfortunately it seems like they have a bug and aren't shipping any out. So my only option would be to order it and pray I can get a signal but their closest tower is 8 miles away 😩

I tried an AT&T MVNO and only got that really crappy HSPA 3g they can somehow pass off as 4g. Could barely get it to work.

I'm not sure what my options are. Hughesnet/Viasat are out. Not paying that crazy amount and getting into a contract when Starlink will be out here within 6 months. And you can't video chat on those anyways (we've tried on my in-laws, too much latency).

If anyone cares about looking at towers and such, google maps near my home is 33.853706,-81.849511

The only tmobile tower coming up for me is 8 miles due west. The Verizon one I use is about 4 miles S/SW of me.
gscheb

Re: WE826GO-U and Verizon. Only using hotspot now.

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Instead of TTL try to set custom rules.
Tab right next to custom TTL
Also unselect the custom TTL
Paste this in there

#startTTL
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
#ip6tables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#endTTL

Then edit your numbers at the end according to what you need.

If you absolutely cant get this to work could try Visible. Just has high ping is all.
toddw

Post by toddw »

Verizon has a new plan for 300GB, at $200 a month for business (not difficult to get one registered). It's a lot, but it does work in routers, 300+ (I have the spreadsheet somewhere, surprisingly the Mofi 4500 SIM4 is one of the approved devices). It's pricey, but you can use it till you get starlink, I would still keep LTE for backup as starlink is still in beta and there are outages with no service level agreement. It does take Verizon a day or so to set up a M2M profile for your company.

You can change certain things on the Quectel, but its not allowed to be discussed on this forum. It may prove futile if Verizon already identified the router. Not sure on that one, I just know they are the most difficult to work with.

Did you change DNS, and also the time servers to use google instead of openwrt time servers, etc. There is a good writeup on how to get routers to work on visable, which is the way I would go if I were you.
toddw

Post by toddw »

I was typing this at same time as gscheb responded. Agreed, go visable.
RuralinternetSucks
Has thanked: 0

Post by RuralinternetSucks »

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. Been busy with work and a hundred other things. So for one reason or another I'm unable to go with visible that I can't get into.

I have tried the above options. Unfortunately nothing seems to work. I hit my 15GB hotspot limit in 2 days. Now I'm down to 600kbps. And I'm lucky to even hit that. I tried the AT command to repair the IMEI but it just spits back an error. As if I'm putting in the wrong command (and I'm sure I'm not).

Would tethering my phone work? I have a vzw compatible phone I can use (the IMEI I was attempting to use in the router). If so is there a good write up on how to tether to the router?

Unfortunately I can't afford the $200 a month business line at Verizon. I'm stretched now as is especially making sure I can pay for starlink when it comes. I was planning on keeping this as a backup but if this is what I've got to look forward to I'm not sure it's worth it.
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1337&p=10303&hilit=tethering#p10303

This link is to Biia's guid for tethering
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

This is what I use on Verizon tablet plan-postpaid--Also unselect the custom TTL box

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 117
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 117
#end TTL rules

(to ck your TTL settings)
To do a ping, get default address—probably 192.168.1.1
then do a CDM command window—type ping(space)192.168.1.1 hit enter and you should see your TTL settings.

APN is VZWINTERNET

also your DNS--needs to be set---
 it needs to be set in two places, here's how:

Modem > Connection Profile > Default Profile > Advanced > Custom DNS Server1/2 > for Server1 enter "1.0.0.1" without the quotes, and for Server2 enter "1.1.1.1" without the quotes, then Save&Apply
IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001

Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > Common Configuration > General Setup > Use Custom DNS Servers > enter "1.1.1.1" without the quotes, press "+" and enter "1.0.0.1" without the quotes, then Save&Apply
custom DNS (under connect profile / advanced) I entered in the two IPv4 in first two fields and IPv6 in next two.

much credit to Billa, Terryjet--and many others--of course your mileage may vary!

Return to “General and Unclassified”