RM500Q-AE with WG1608D-M, RV Mobile and the issue of what I need

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
fpnomad
Been thanked: 0

RM500Q-AE with WG1608D-M, RV Mobile and the issue of what I need

Post by fpnomad »

Hello all,

I have been attempting to get any information I can regarding my situation, and with some searches I have found a FEW things to think about, such as the RM500Q-AE instead of the GL version, but I still have a few things that I don't quite understand and that are giving me pause on ordering.

I am a Verizon customer, my wife and I live full-time in an RV due to working in the continental United States. We travel a lot, and are tired of tethering our phones to our computers, hoping for OK service.

I found the RM500Q-AE modem, and that seems to offer 5g and 4glte support that we would want. I am wondering if I need to get the WG1608D-M router for everything to work with.

It's a little difficult for me to find some information regarding the setup I need, so I have a couple "assumptions", maybe someone can dispel?

I found this enclosure as well:

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/

I am wondering if I could place that enclosure with the modem inside, and connect it to my Netgear r9000 router I already have, or if it will need the previously mentioned WG1608D-M router? I wasn't sure if the enclosure would run the antenna and provide an internet connection from a line out, or if the router itself would need to control the data coming from the antenna and towers?

I am also wondering if for what I am looking for, there is a better router/modem set up for a first time buyer. I don't mind spending the money to get something my wife and myself can use, but I am worried I might have misunderstood something, and will end up with hardware that will not work for my situation. I will be getting a tablet data plan to use in the router (as I have heard this might be the best option for a data connection and sim card)

I really appreciate any help that can be provided. I can't seem to find anything else with the search function, but maybe I am typing in the wrong words to get to the information I need.

Thank you!
Didneywhorl

Re: RM500Q-AE with WG1608D-M, RV Mobile and the issue of what I need

Post by Didneywhorl »

The RM500Q will work in that enclosure from The Wireless Haven.

The router you have will work as tethered but you probably need to flash the router to openWRT or Rooter as I don't think the Netgear has the cellular modem drivers. You will also likely need to use the enclosures aux power port (simple 5V 2A cell phone charger with micro usb would suffice), as the new 5G modems are starting to show up as real power hogs.

If you don't want to do this, you may need to just use the WG1608D-M.
fpnomad
Been thanked: 0

Re: RM500Q-AE with WG1608D-M, RV Mobile and the issue of what I need

Post by fpnomad »

So the choices of router (WG1608D-M) and modem (RM500Q-AE) are decent for a starter setup for what I am looking to do? I think I will just order those instead of trying to flash my Netgear router, if those two will work well. Is there a reason to upgrade or get any other devices to make this work better for starting off?

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”