MIMO Setup Help

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Twoods196
Has thanked: 0

MIMO Setup Help

Post by Twoods196 »

Hello all, I've got my we826 and mc7455 all hooked up and getting a signal with the stock antennas but I had ordered at the same time 2 wide band directional antennas from The Wireless Haven these to be exact. https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/700-27 ... al-antenna

Now my question is concerning the postioning of the antennas. I know I will need to set them up in a diamond shape so there polarity basically makes a X kinda but my question is to the placement of the second antenna to the first one. How far below the first antenna is ideal? An should they both be aligned the same or should the second antenna offset to the side some kinda so the 2 V tops come down beside each other. Hopefully I explained that well and someone could help me out with this. It would be greatly appreciated!
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: MIMO Setup Help

Post by JimHelms »

There are a number of people that have tried various arrangements and spacing.

Some mount the antennas side by side using a T on the top of the mask which seem to work better in heavy foliage.

Most install them one on top of the other with only an inch or two between. This seems to be a general default for the configuration.

Other customers have experimented with the spacing between the antennas, and most admit it makes little (if any) difference in their performance. Others say that spreading them with a six in space improves their Signal to noise ratio.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

This is really heavily dependent upon your situation, and you'll have to experiment to find the best positioning.

That being said, wireless channel conditions can change from min to min, and hour to hour, so don't get too obsessive over it, just make sure that the signal stats on both antennas look equal, and leave them there.
Twoods196

Post by Twoods196 »

Thanks for the replies. So as for alignment the point on the bottom of the top antenna and the point on the top of the bottom antenna should be aligned? As most picstures I have see the bottom antenna off sets the top one and then slides up beside it by a inch or two. Which way would be best for someone that lives in North MS. Whave some hills but nothing major and we do have a lot of foilage. Thanks!
Twoods196

Post by Twoods196 »

Nevermind as I was setting it up I see now why there offset. So the bracket can attach to the poke. Thanks again
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

You want to align them in a +/- 45 degree setup.

The antennas should indicate on a sticker the direction of polarization, and you want one at -45 degrees and the other at +45 degrees.
jeffhalljr
Been thanked: 0

Post by jeffhalljr »

swwifty wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:25 am You want to align them in a +/- 45 degree setup.

The antennas should indicate on a sticker the direction of polarization, and you want one at -45 degrees and the other at +45 degrees.
I am about to install a pair of Wilson 314411 Yagis... I see that they have Arrows pointing towards "polarization". I called Wilson to ask if the arrows should be pointing at each other at a 45 deg angle they said that they recommend mounting them vertically. So this begs the question... is the 45 degrees offset a best practice? and if so does anyone have experience with what direction the arrows should be pointing? (towards each other, away from each other, or in the same direction)

I am planning on mounting them on a vertical pole, any challenges here? I have seen several examples of mounting vertically as well as horizontally but have not seen any pro/con info on the forum.

As a side note, the weeping hole would probably need to be closed up and drilled on the opposite side if arrows are pointing toward each other.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I dont believe that it matters which end is on top, so likely keep the weep holes facing down. I believe the the angles used are an attempt to match the plane of the carrier equipment of the tower your using. Common practice seems to be 45 degrees from vertical plane. One tilted "left", the other "right".

Im no expert though, maybe someone else can explain further.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:07 pm I dont believe that it matters which end is on top, so likely keep the weep holes facing down. I believe the the angles used are an attempt to match the plane of the carrier equipment of the tower your using. Common practice seems to be 45 degrees from vertical plane. One tilted "left", the other "right".

this is correct.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:07 pm I dont believe that it matters which end is on top, so likely keep the weep holes facing down. I believe the the angles used are an attempt to match the plane of the carrier equipment of the tower your using. Common practice seems to be 45 degrees from vertical plane. One tilted "left", the other "right".

I was wondering what the heck is a "weep" hole on the antenna housing?
Is it a hole to drain moisture condensation?
Teach an old dog here some new tricks please, he-he
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Bill, you are correct.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Well, I'm always right, even when I'm wrong. ha-ha just kidding
So unless gravity reverses on Earth, the weep hole should always be facing down, to shed its tears while weeping. ;P

Return to “Cellular Antennas”